• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if you look at the poll results up the top, you'll find that it's not a vocal minority but a majority that thinks those two deserved to die.

Of people on SS? Possibly the most unrepresentative sample of keyboard executioners you could find... happy to pull the trigger many times and clean up the mess afterwards too from their words - no doubt they wish they could have been there!

If that were really the case in the electorate we would see politicians moving to take advantage of it. Of course we are seeing no such thing, for obvious reasons.

If that were really the case in the electorate we would see politicians moving to take advantage of it. Of course we are seeing no such thing.

You don't see it because Tony Blunder has religious connections who voted for him so he has to follow their wishes

You don't see it because Tony Blunder has religious connections who voted for him so he has to follow their wishes

You mean the people of Australia? They are the people who voted for him.

And there was I thinking that he just had a strong belief in the sanctity of life... like most Australians.

You mean the people of Australia?

No I was referring to his connection with the church.

The majority of Australians who voted for the coalition, voted for their local rep and the party and not for Tony or Julia.
I'm sure those 2 will get the message at the next elections or maybe even before the elections.

The AFP members who made the decision to tip off the Indonesians will go to hell when they die.
The AFP are there to stop crime, and apprehend those who commit crimes.

Are they a perfect specimen?

Of course not. They are humans trying to do a job but can make a bad decision now and then.

So, a would-be illegal drug dealer/trafficker/user is more than likely going to get caught and face a punishment.

My suggestion is to not be involved in illegal activities.

Much more intelligent to live a decent law-abiding life, and your chances of staying out of jail and/or becoming a firing squad candidate, or fellow criminal execution are considerably lessened.

Let's not start blaming the AFP for doing a very tough, dangerous and thankless job.

Let's focus again on what is the real issue - two blokes who were seasoned criminals in dealing/trafficking drugs into Australia.

It was always going to end in tears for them and their families.

This all reminds me of the whole farcical situation where a robber who breaks into your home and breaks his leg whilst inside, can then sue the owner of the property.

That is how a lot of folks are treating this whole case.

It's hysterical.

I'm sure the AFP are feeling terrible that these blokes were executed, but I'd also bet that they are secretly thinking they have taken a lot more drugs off the streets through their efforts - which is their job - and for that they would feel proud..

I know a Tech Squad cop very well....surveillance, stake-outs, etc.

I can promise you that these blokes are not too sentimental about the crims they apprehend.

Think; Hi-5's for a job well done.

The AFP made it clear that they will, in future, seek to avoid repeating this situation, up until the point where it impedes their operations or excessively strains the relationship with their counterparts overseas. Fair enough in my view - there is only so much they can or should do to prevent this without compromising their effectiveness in their core business - being law enforcement.

The only farce here is the idea that you have to kill people to stop people being killed... the end justify the means and all that. The idea that the "punishment should fit the crime", which would have rapists getting raped in return or some other such nonsense.

If society stoops to the level of the criminal we regress to Neanderthal status - we can see how the whole religious "eye for an eye" philosophy has gone in the Middle East for the last seventy years. Without mercy and compassion we are doomed. We have to prove ourselves better than the criminals or we are no longer civilised...

The only farce here is the idea that you have to kill people to stop people being killed... the end justify the means and all that. The idea that the "punishment should fit the crime", which would have rapists getting raped in return or some other such nonsense.
the only farce here is posts like this which compare execution of convicted criminals to murder.
what's next? people like you saying we shouldn't put people who hold other people captive in jail, because it would be behaving like criminals?

the only farce here is posts like this which compare execution of convicted criminals to murder.
what's next? people like you saying we shouldn't put people who hold other people captive in jail, because it would be behaving like criminals?

Just quietly, your attempt to equate incarceration with execution isn't working...

Capturing someone and following through on a plan to kill them against there will is premeditated murder, no question about it. The only difference is it's is deemed 'lawful', which means the government has made a law saying we are allowed to kill people. A government changing the name of it to make it sound nicer doesn't change what it is.

Exaggerating a bit Strannik?

there is zero difference between the two in the argument you are trying to make.

you are comparing actions of a criminal with the punishment and saying they are exactly the same. which is true in both cases

just shows that your argument is silly

if you look at the poll results up the top, you'll find that it's not a vocal minority but a majority that thinks those two deserved to die.

Where? The poll asks if the Bali 9 should be given clemency, which means pardoned for their crime. It doesn't ask if the Bali 2 deserve to die (although I think that is what it was meant to ask - it's a badly worded and confusing question).

Exaggerating this time or just making things up again?

Where? The poll asks if the Bali 9 should be given clemency, which means pardoned for their crime. It doesn't ask if the Bali 2 deserve to die (although I think that is what it was meant to ask - it's a badly worded and confusing question).

incorrect, clemency just does not mean pardoned for their crime,
it just means spared/modified from the punishment in question

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/clemency
Leniency or mercy. A power given to a public official, such as a governor or the president, to in some way lower or moderate the harshness of punishment imposed upon a prisoner.

Capturing someone and following through on a plan to kill them against there will is premeditated murder, no question about it. The only difference is it's is deemed 'lawful', which means the government has made a law saying we are allowed to kill people. A government changing the name of it to make it sound nicer doesn't change what it is.

Exaggerating a bit Strannik?

yes i am. it shows the silliness and hypocrisy of your argument.

i think this is again the case of you displaying failure to comprehend written text.

majority of people voted that they shouldn't be spared from death penalty. which means they deserve to die.

incorrect, clemency just does not mean pardoned for their crime,
it just means spared/modified from the punishment in question

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/clemency
Leniency or mercy. A power given to a public official, such as a governor or the president, to in some way lower or moderate the harshness of punishment imposed upon a prisoner.

TMNT - read the poll question and tell me where it refers to the Bali 2 being executed. Actually, just tell me where it refers to the Bali 2 because I've read it quite a few times and it seems to be referring to the Bali 9.

Back