Ballad of a landlord .. Rant

I see alot of dodgy people around in every suburb. Apart from centrelink, where are all these people getting their money?
The applicants who had 20 cents offered me a bit over market rate for my IP. Agent turned them down.
But plenty of agents and owners would have been happy to just swallow the cash and close one eye to where the money was coming from.
BTW, I really don't think those applicants were doing (terribly) illegal stuff. I could see them doing cash in hand jobs but criminal activities (drugs etc) no.

If you guys have read by first post, you will see the tenant did a runner with some damages and some idiot decided to steal all the copper pipes from under the house. I had to fix those and get the house to a liveable condition PLUS adding some extras to get new tenants in. All these when I am not getting a cent of rent since more than a month and since my wife is on maternity leave (unpaid) , I am back on single income . I had just bought another IP in Brisbane as you guys can read in the first post.
I do not have too much buffer to keep spending money on the house.

As said, being a landlord is often not easy. What mongrels to steal the pipework.

In regard to my comments, at the end of the day it is a matter of meeting the market, I saw a modern townhouse with full modern proper kitchen etc in same area and rent, from a tenants perspective it offers more and also would be less work to maintain. As time passes there should be a picture being painted if questions are being asked.

it can be quite an education being a landlord. the way some tenants live. we all have differing standards of cleanliness for example. beautiful new kitchen appliances can be left filthy because they are never cleaned.

do some lack basic skills about housekeeping/hygiene? never been taught or experienced in their family? who knows.

lack of honesty/integrity when property is damaged by not disclosing it or concealing it.

lack of respect for other peoples property upbringing or mindset who knows.

some are very responsible others we try not to house. selection can be difficult. just have to minimise the risks.

Hi guys,
Was busy last week with a NEW addition to the family :)

The property has been leased now and the tenants will start this week. I had to lower the rent by $10 though.

Hi guys,
Was busy last week with a NEW addition to the family :)

The property has been leased now and the tenants will start this week. I had to lower the rent by $10 though.

:D Good work on both. At least now you can focus more on the NEW member than the property

Good luck with it all, i always thought it seemed like a pretty decent property for the price, and it was a house, to boot.
I googled it and girraween has no train station, i wondered if that was the reason.
Anyway, it's leased, so you don't have to worry about it for now. If you don't increase the rent and your tenants don't buy their own place and move out, i think you will be ok.

Congratulations Mumbai! Such exciting news! Enjoy your time with your new member of the family and give your property manager a total value that they can carry out minor repairs up to (as all new tenants report a few things) so that your time with family isn't interrupted! :).

My PM made sure i sorted it all before she would lease it out :)
I worked like a slave, getting my property up to 'ppor' standard for rental :)
It's worth it, to attract the. right kind of tenants.

Back