Ballarat

That will be March 2011, here are details, 'Enter the Secret Garden" (don't you love it):
http://www.ballaratbegoniafestival.com/

I hope it does not coincide with the Altona Bayside Festival, which is also held each March:
http://altonabeauty.blogspot.com/2010/07/attraction-15-altona-bayside-festival.html

I will like to take some photos of the Festival and write an article.

You've just missed the Golden Wattle Festival in Maryborough, but the Goldpanning championships are coming up, then there is Lavandula Lavender Farm, very, very beautiful:
http://www.lavandula.com.au/

It's just up from Daylesford. Incredibly beautiful.

I have not been to Maryborough but agree with you that the Lavandula Lavender Farm is indeed very beautiful. Like the lunch at the La Trattoria too!

Been there twice:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthony-linda/sets/72157608107226487/detail/

forumite

On the Maryborough bit, (Vic), I was there day before last and was blown away by it's vibe, it's street decor, the town's warmth, it's food! the coffee, the development going on. I think from memory it's population is around 7500-ish? and it is thriving. The averaged out growth per annum (house price median) for the decade 98 to 08 was around the 9.5%.

If I didn't have my hands full at the moment in other regional towns/cities I would be "personally-my circumstances/desires/wants/needs-wise" be very happy to invest in the place, provided I was able to secure good buying for me, the right deal.

I also would be very happy to live there. It's like this combination of a small Ballarat crossed with a winding street scape of Stawell, a busy little place with some amazingly beautiful old architecture. It's a short drive from both Ballarat and Bendigo...I cannot wait to get Mr OO over there, show him the place, some farmlet places...I think I've found our next home.

Legendz Wine Bar and Bakery is just that.

This is getting offtrack, but even if no one decides it is right for them to invest in, it is well worth a visit, pack the kids the gold detector and have fun.

In regards to OO's post on Maryborough the railway line is open again as of the 25th July and Vline has trains running between Melbourne and Maryborough daily. Now when a decision like this is made it is largely determined by the results of feasibility studies. To some degree it is political but that itself tells you that there must be enough voters in the area or expected to move into the area for a political move to be made like this.
The patronage to and from Maryborough has been positive and you often find the railway station and availability of public transport (especially trains) are a good indicator of how the town is going.
Currently in many regional towns the railway stations are undergoing redevelopment in the way of platform length extensions. This is due to longer trains which are required due to higher patronage. You would think it easier to put on more services but the Melbourne metropolitan area is saturated so there are only a certain number of slots available. Add to this the insufficient infrustructure in the metropolitan area and the restraints/backlash faced when the govt tries to change this means you can see why longer trains rather than more trains are the preferred option(just look at the fiasco at Footscray for an idea). Either way it all points towards population growth in the regions and commuter growth between regional towns and Melbourne.
Off topic but out of interest North Shore and Marshall (Geelong area) now have more services stopping or originating/terminating there which is another indication of demand.

We bought 2 four bedrooms that Settled in April. I chose there as it had an annual average growth of 10% over 10 years, but had been flat in the 12 months prior. It has great diversity in terms of jobs, and good prospects I think as expanding as a major regional hub. Education and the IBM and other call centers seemed fantastic.

One was in Alfredton for 225k and rented for 280 immediately after a tidy up. Chose as I saw it as a good family area with schools, sports etc. A 4 bedded made sense to me. Just valued at 245k.

The other was Mount Clear, down the road from the Uni and call centers. 230k rented for 280 as well. Just valued at 250k. Had had a tidy up/Rennovation at time of purchase.

I'd happily buy there again, but I like diversity. So......everyone buy up a heap around those area to push my prices up. Would be greatly appreciated. :)

Btw - those values were by the bank. Medians have gone bang after a year of being flat. Up to 15 per cent for the 12 months now. Pretty happy! Rents will no doubt go up too based on vacancy. I think they should be more around 300.

Anyone else looking in Ballarat at the moment? I'm seeing alot of properties advertised for $200-$220,000 thst are selling for $190-$200,000.

Soft market, or vendors over-reaching???

is ballarat too getting away

hi guys

looking to take the plunge ...

want to concentrate on ballarat as its close to melb ( where I live )

my budget is under 200

looking for neutral geared property if not positively geared

dont mind unit or independant house with strong rental yeild ...

not worried much about CG but I think it will pickup slowly ...

after reading the threads on the forum ...

looks like its going to hard to find one which suits my criteria ..

or is there still a possibility ....

advise from locals ....

i have short listed the following areas ..

ballarat

bendigo

wodonga

horsham

but looks like i have to cross out ballarat ....

what would be next bet on the list ...

ps : i had a word with one REA .. says to look at some thing in central to for a stong rental yeild ... but says to me that they would be more than 220 ...

which would be out of my reach ....

suggestions please

You say this:
looking to take the plunge ...

want to concentrate on ballarat as its close to melb ( where I live )

And then this:

but looks like i have to cross out ballarat ....

Which is it?

You need to spend a lot more time researching the areas that are possibilities. Realestate.com.au should be your best friend for at least the next couple of weeks.

Start trawling through and searching for properties in your price range. Then ring the agents for a chat. Ask them about the area, speak to their branch property manager and assess what the rental yield will be and the vacancy rate for the area.

Ask about good and bad areas and desirable locations that tenants will look for...schools, hospitals, public transport etc.

You need to focus on an area, research and then decide if it is an area that will satisfy your requirements. If it doesn't, then move on.

Different areas suit different people depending on their own personal circumstance.

You need to narrow yours down and concentrate on it.

Goodluck

Rooster

Areas like Redan, Soldiers Hill in Ballarat look good...

A couple more properties yesterday advertised $210-$220,000 fetched $197,000 and $202,000 respectively yesterday....both were solid 3 br homes, not units.

I need to get into the Ballarat market!!

any update on ballarat

guys

any new update on ballarat

market seems to sfoten a bit
but on the other hand

there are plenty of houses on for rent near ballarat central

Is it hard to rent out in b'rat even the one's close to ballarat central

any inputs

Ballarat report on movement

Hope this is helpful

Attachments

• Ballarat Movement[1].jpg
    Ballarat Movement[1].jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 221
I like Ballarat. Rent growth has been fairly strong from what I read of late.

Be mindful, there are quite a number of LARGE (circa 10 Ha) sites on the market for tender that were landholdings of people land banking and a couple of mixed use (resi/comm/showroom) type sites. This will add to the land stock for new construction

The important thing to note is that these are all INFILL sites hence well located to CBD. None are on the fringes where it is easy to replicate estates all the way to Beaufort. It is that western tract that council will open up.

Good sized city, commutable to Melbourne, affordable, however if I were buying there now, I would also be looking for infill properties already established, on good land (preferably two townhouse site) with an older type property (preferably non heritage). Newer stuff on the outskirts will be cheaper and have more depreciation assisting holding costs in short-medium term, however poor amenity will make it less attractive to tenants and further land releases on the western fringe, will erode capital gowth IMHO.

Back