Bank mortgage form confusion?

OK Im a little baffled by this. On 23th December I finalised finance through com bank I went in and signed all the paperwork, after it was all done she said I don't have to do anything else and gave me a white booklet with a few forms in it to read.

I didn't end up reading them to the 26th..anyway one side of the booklet said "For signature and return". One was an accept offer form sign and return with in 21 days. Another was referendum of mortgage or something like I cant remember the exact title. This is where its gets weird, I had to sign and get a witness to sign, it had a page for the lender to acknowledge she's verified my id and sign (which wasn't) and the back page had space for land office and tittle stuff to be filled in.

Who the hell is meant to have this form!!!! Because I gave it to the same branch as I obtained finance on Monday, then 2 hours ago The branch manager rang me and said we've been chasing up the paper work you gave us and we think these are your copies. You are already ready for settlement (I got the same automated SMS to tell me) So he's just read that off the system.

I was actually on another call at the time so just said yea yup fine ect. Later I thought WTH how can a major bank not know there own forms and it didn't seem right? Why would I have been given a form that I need witnessing if its its my copy? I certainly didn't sign any witness forms at final approval.

Now on Monday arvo I went and saw the conveyor who said there going to try move settle to this Friday. I said Ok but make sure the bank is ready ect, he then rang me the next day and said yup its all set fro this Friday the 10th.
Now that the bank rang me today about these forms I freaking out abit because if that Mortgage is need it will be buried inside Australia post.

Can anyone shed some light on this form so I can tell Combank what there meant to do with it :rolleyes:

In south Australia if it makes a difference.

Hmm that's a bit strange. Don't forget that the bank gives you two copies of the documents - one for them (for settlement) and one to keep for yourself (for your records). Maybe you already sent back the bank copies so it's all good.

Copy of what though? It specifically said on one page for the mortgagor to sign in the presence of a witness and the witness to sign. It cant be a copy of a form used at settlement cause I wouldnt be there to sign, and I certainly didn't get any form witnessed during final approval so Im stumped.

I don't get how a major bank cant tell defiantly what should be done with it, it said for signature and return and that's what I did.......:rolleyes:

As long as settlement is made all good. I should add I suspect my original loaner who approved the loan may have change jobs, but they should know there own forms they give.

EDIT I think it was a "MEMORANDUM OF MORTGAGE"
From what I can find with google
Documents required

Documents usually lodged, along with the necessary fees, with the Land Titles Office (LTO) after settlement includes:
•memorandum of transfer - to transfer the certificate of title from the vendor’s name into the buyer's
•memorandum of mortgage - the buyer’s mortgage is registered on the property’s certificate of title

Hmm been thinking and googling more now and the only possible explanation I can think of is its a copy of the memorandum of mortgage which the lender will lodge on the day of settlement at the lands titles office. I will then sign and witness "The original" at a later date. Not sure why they would give me a copy of that...seems odd and im still iffy about it.

Any lenders here that can clear this up?

Last edited:
Sounds like you signed mortgage documents in and they gave you your copy. Text message is sent once the file has been certified meaning your formally approved. Wouldn't of been able to happen if you didn't sign he correct documents. Shoot me a PM of you want me to look at it for you and make sure it's all ok :) sounds like its fine to me.

Back