Bank of China here is Aus!

I'm sure I've walked past a Bank of China not far from the office (Sydney CBD). It's down in Chinatown I think (not surprisingly).
I live in a suburb with lots of Greeks. We've got a local Laiki Bank branch. I've always assumed it was Greek.
Scott

They don't have very good deposit rates for online accounts and term deposits though, compared to other banks.

And I find it somewhat amusing that for term deposits they accept AUD, USD, and HKD - but no renminbi. Don't even want their own currency? :rolleyes:

Wayne

I'm sure I've walked past a Bank of China not far from the office (Sydney CBD). It's down in Chinatown I think (not surprisingly).
I live in a suburb with lots of Greeks. We've got a local Laiki Bank branch. I've always assumed it was Greek.
Scott

From memory they have two Haymarket and one down George st.
Haymarket has been there for about two years now.

hi all
interesting post
from the title you would think that they just arrived
well I will give you a bit of education
boc is the 5TH largest bank in china and yes I know a few people in there.
they have been here for about 5 to 6 years now I think
they are setting up branchs in regional areas and I think they are doing one in perth but I can ask if you wish to know
there are other banks the cultural and ciommercial bank of china they are also here
they are the 3 largest
the there is two chinese banks taht have offices here but not for the main stream banking thou I think they should be
one is the construction bank of china and they I think is the 2nd.
but the big brother
is ICBC
and if you check my post I have put some information about them before on this board.
they are the largest bank in china
they are also by volume the largest bank in the world.
and yes they have an office here and yes if you wish you can open an account
and I will show some colour here in that I am working very closely with them
on a few fronts.
are they new to this market
is 3 years new
chinese don't do thing on impulse if you have dealt with chinese.
so they are here and they are here to stay
the aust banks ie cba bought bankwest these guys couple have bought 20 bank wests but they didn't
westpac bought st george
these guys have been here before they started negotiating and again they could have bought them as well
they didn't
why not
because of money
try again.
they wish to learn and work to build and they are very sharp cookies as they say.
I don't thnk I know that these guys could put a outlet of all three banks in every suburbs in aust if they wished
they have in china
but they are still learning our systems and adjusting there systems
and I for one think they will do very well
but you do have to change your ideas and procedure to fit in and alot of busineses here are going to struggle to do that
where as an asian business man its second nature
so boc is here
it never left
and has been here for some time
I would like to have people post some of the other asian banks that are here that are not so easy to find or see

Nice post GR. I totally agree wrt Chinese entry into this market - under-estimate them at your peril. Going by other industries they are very well researched and considered in everything they do and are definitely not prone to knee jerk reactions unlike some others I could name.

Just wondering if any brokers out there have any feedback on how the likes of BOC stack up from a DSR / Deposit POV? Their SVRs look attractive enough!

I realise their relatively short track record in this market is a risk. But I don't put them in the same bucket as Macquarie et al as their source of funds is much more secure. China Inc is looking to diversify its foreign exposure from US bonds and IME from other areas is very keen on the Australian market in particular from a lending POV. As GR points out they have a long term focus.

If you're a Chinese company looking for finance for an Australian venture let's just say you will get a very sympathetic ear from a Chinese bank! :rolleyes:

hi HiEquity
have a look at what the chinese banks have bought and also have alook at what they have lots with regards to the global melt down
they bought a few banks
they wiped off there bottom lines not bad debt
but debt to banks ith bad debt
big difference
the bad debt was also not indicated before they bought in.

as for your question.

Just wondering if any brokers out there have any feedback on how the likes of BOC stack up from a DSR / Deposit POV? Their SVRs look attractive enough
I don't know of many brokers working with these banks
why because broking is a bit foreign to asian banks and is not the normal way of business they see it as a second layer that they don't like
they see it as more of a hinderance then benefit.
and like to deal with the client direct
when its a syndicated loan its alot easier for them as they expect to have negotiators or finance people involved.
this will change but I think just not soon chinese or asian finance has alot to do with trust again thats a bit foreign to the west.
we work on the banks screw us and we screw the banks
so not alot of trust
the banks don't even trust enough to lend us a 1000,00 credit card without checking with craa
where as the asian lending is built on trust
so even craa is not some thing they have as norm for there lending
they do understand that they have to adjust to this market and have
but watching what brokers do, have done and do do I think they will take some time before brokers are added to their list of things to be done
I ask once about them and head office said that it was one of the items to be discussed but was not on the list for some time
the great wall of china was built in some time.
I have not spoken to boc for some time as they are looking at resi lending more then comm
but when I spoke to them then they did not nor were they looking at a broker network

There's been a Bank of China branch in Box Hill Victoria for at least the past 3-4 years (could have been longer) so they are nothing new. There was a post on here some time back asking about one of their products. I remember looking at it as it seemed reasonable cheap rate wise but at a closer look it was fairly restrictive.

Regards
Steve

Back