Banks to get access to your bills

This out from one of the aggregators today

Earlier this month, Senator Joe Ludwig, Special Minister of State, announced proposed reforms to the Privacy Act and Regulations. An exposure draft of the legislation will not be available until early next year.
In respect to credit reporting, in a nutshell, the proposed reforms introduce “positive” credit reporting.
The proposed introduction of five “positive” datasets in an individual’s credit report file would enable a more comprehensive assessment of a person’s credit risk. The “positive” datasets are:
• The type of each credit account opened (eg mortgage, personal loan, credit card);
• The date on which each credit account was opened;
• The current limit of each open credit account;
• The date on which each credit account was closed;
• The credit repayment history (including whether in the past two years the individual was meeting repayment obligations).
However, credit repayment history data won’t be available until responsible lending obligations under the proposed National Consumer Credit Protection Bill 2009 (NCCP Bill) begin in January, 2011. There will be special rules to ensure appropriate use of this sensitive data. The period from when repayment history may be reported will commence in April 2010.
Current credit reporting is “negative”, therefore more limited, eg, it only includes information about overdue accounts (defaults) plus any applications for credit.
For brokers, mortgage managers and credit providers, the changes should mean there is more information available for the assessment of a consumer’s financial situation and thus meet responsible lending obligations. However, it may also mean some consumers are refused credit or are offered less.
Responsible lending is of course a key plank of the NCCP and is designed to ensure that consumers are not provided or suggested unsuitable credit for their circumstances.

This out from one of the aggregators today

Earlier this month, Senator Joe Ludwig, Special Minister of State, announced proposed reforms to the Privacy Act and Regulations. An exposure draft of the legislation will not be available until early next year.
In respect to credit reporting, in a nutshell, the proposed reforms introduce “positive” credit reporting.
The proposed introduction of five “positive” datasets in an individual’s credit report file would enable a more comprehensive assessment of a person’s credit risk. The “positive” datasets are:
• The type of each credit account opened (eg mortgage, personal loan, credit card);
• The date on which each credit account was opened;
• The current limit of each open credit account;
• The date on which each credit account was closed;
• The credit repayment history (including whether in the past two years the individual was meeting repayment obligations).
However, credit repayment history data won’t be available until responsible lending obligations under the proposed National Consumer Credit Protection Bill 2009 (NCCP Bill) begin in January, 2011. There will be special rules to ensure appropriate use of this sensitive data. The period from when repayment history may be reported will commence in April 2010.
Current credit reporting is “negative”, therefore more limited, eg, it only includes information about overdue accounts (defaults) plus any applications for credit.
For brokers, mortgage managers and credit providers, the changes should mean there is more information available for the assessment of a consumer’s financial situation and thus meet responsible lending obligations. However, it may also mean some consumers are refused credit or are offered less.
Responsible lending is of course a key plank of the NCCP and is designed to ensure that consumers are not provided or suggested unsuitable credit for their circumstances.

I have no problem with the first four things being made available, but don't like the 'repayment history' being shown. I think that is getting way too in depth. If they want to know this info they can request it from me - and then I can tell them to go jump if the reasons why they wish to see this info are rediculous.

What is harm if they know your credit history?

1. Will you get defamed in the society? I don't think they will publish your history to public.
2. Will you not get the loan approval? I don't think you should get if you have a bad history.
3. What else?

Personaly I want them to look at my credit history and if they decide to not to approve my loan, I'll demand a written justification for non-approval.

Sanjay

And the institutions like those you work for are absolved for giving out no-docs, ninjas and 105% loans?
Should'nt your educated peers be much more astute and able to tell the difference between sheet & clay? How many hundreds of years of banking does it take? It's in your sig, remember?
I've posted already about the stupidity of borrowing more than you can repay.
But that does not surpass the stupidity of giving them the money.
And ftr, I've never paid LMI and always used min 20% deposits. My posts on this forum are all out in the open.

So are you going to tell me the mortgage institution you work for did'nt do no-docs, ninjas and >100% loans?
That the institutional greed (and that of it's employees) was any different to the borrowers?

Now I'm enough of a historian to know that those who supply the bottomless party hooch never get the blame for the consumption as the consumers supposedly drank it all by themselves. Infact the US & Oz banks have all paid themselves bonuses for their efforts.
It was the same argument in the early 90's, if you were around then. Not to mention the Tech Reck.

And you will be enjoying it just as much as I do :p

Never done no doc or >100% and there aren't NINJA loans in Oz.

All that said, I'm one of those old fashioned "yez makes yer beds, yez lies in it" types of guys...both for the user and supplier.

I wouldn't do a no doc but there are some that did and plenty of borrowers (speculators mainly) who saw the benefit. As usual, after the party *everyone* complains that *someone* put vodka in the punch.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted banker, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

....without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?" Professor "Yes I would, Kent."

i'm a bit bemused about the fear. whenever i've applied for loans in the past i've had to provide copies of everything (last 6 months of bank statements, loan statements credit card statements, brand of toilet paper etc), so for every application, my repayment history is already available for the bank to see.

the only difference, if banks had direct access, would be less mucking around on my behalf pulling everything out from erskine binders.

Back