16. Central Darling (NSW)
17. Melbourne CBD) (Melbourne)
18. Sydney CBD (Sydney)
19. Bourke (NSW)
20. Cue (Western Australia)
21. Coober Pedy (South Australia)
22. Jabiru (Northern Territory)
23. Leonora (Western Australia)
24. Derby-West Kimberley (Western Australia)
25. Moree Plains (NSW)

Wow, I live in the 25th best quality of life place in oz:)
But it's a cold winters day here today and somehow I think Hamilton Island sounds a nicer place to be.

Having worked in both Cunnamulla and Eromanga, I can confirm that they are not the ********* of the Earth, but you can certainly see it from there.

Its funny, in Adelaide the majority of the population increases have occurred in the suburbs which rank very low in quality of life.

What does that mean?

Are the patterns similar in other states?

How many of these places have you been to?

I don't know if its a reflection of my lifestyle but I've only been to 4 of the locations in the 'Best' list, all in WA.
But I've been to 16 locations in the 'Worst' list including all the WA locations which happen to all be in what could be termed 'the outback'
My pick for worst location for quality of life would have to be Borroloola in NT. I was there last year and the impression of utter hopelessness I got for the inhabitants still leaves me feeling for the locals even now.
Another observation; I cannot see Cue or Cooper Pedy being better than Sydney or Melbourne either.

Pud

Just like liveability scores, these indexes can be skewed to get whatever answer you want.

The most stark is that Sydney and Melbourne CBD is considered near the bottom yet there is still considerable demand for people to live there.

Looking at some top-ranked areas (eg Manningham & Nillumbik) you can see common threads.

- High life expectancy & good health outcomes
- High average incomes (often boosted by point below)
- Near-absence of a proletariot of unemployed, welfare recipients and single parents
- Largish block sizes and more houses than units
- Far more owner occupiers than transient renters
- More grass than concrete
- The lusher areas aspire to a clean/green image full of NIMBYs (though in these areas traffic congestion can be an issue as the aveage household in these areas has 3 cars)
- Either bush, river, or beach nearby
- Low percentage of single people

I believe that I have now deconstructed the Bankwest study, with them using the above or similar factors to get their list.

Change some of the factors, eg proximity to entertainment districts, CBD, education and transport and numbers of unattached people of the opposite sex and you'll get a completely different list of 'most liveable' suburbs!

The motto seems to be: "Give me any conclusion you want and I'll get you whatever statistics to verify this!"

Its funny, in Adelaide the majority of the population increases have occurred in the suburbs which rank very low in quality of life.

What does that mean?

It means that more and more people can only afford to live in those suburbs where the quality of life is low, so are the house prices.

I live in 18. Hornsby (Sydney).. nice suburb to live in.. now I wish to move to 1. Ku-ring-gai (Sydney).. actually Ku-ring-gai is very near to Hornsby.. I think the pattern is the best areas are very "green".. not much overcrowding

What does that mean?

It could also mean that there is more reproduction going on by the lower socio-economic group than the group above it.

This is the case in every place I've ever lived, from my observation.

Basically, the poorer areas have more kids than the middle-class and above, and they have them younger it seems.

Whats wrong with Port Phillip?

South Melb, Middle Park, St kilda whats so bad about these areas to rank
363. Do these blue chip suburbs offer a reduced quality of life?

SS

South Melb, Middle Park, St kilda whats so bad about these areas to rank
363. Do these blue chip suburbs offer a reduced quality of life?

SS

As I said; it's very general.

The suburb where I live (Dromana) is as good as any place on earth that I've lived at (or visited). There is nowhere else I've seen yet that I would rather move to. Maybe California for the weather.

It's just stuff to fill up the paper and a spot on the 6.00 o'clock news.

As I said; it's very general.

Maybe California for the weather.

LA, To close to San Andteas - quality of life waiting to fault!

ha ha ha ha

SS

They reckon the mother of earthquakes is due there soon.

And, I would NEVER live in L.A buy choice. We were there because my wife was contracted to work there.

I would live at Santa Barbara in a heart beat though. Palos Verdes is pretty good as well.

Amazingly, they get little quakes in L.A every day, but the properties are built to withstand a certain level.

It's good to see Baulham Hills on the NWest corner of Sydney high up on the list.
It should climb higher when that metro rail link goes in...;)

Cheers

Last edited:
I'd like to know how they define "quality of life" and how they relate it to any particular suburb. IMO quality of life is extremely subjective. I for one would rather cut my throat than live in Sydney or Melbourne due to traffic, overcrowding etc etc and would much prefer to live in a quiet rural area with fresh air and no traffic. Each to their own.

I'd like to know how they define "quality of life" and how they relate it to any particular suburb. IMO quality of life is extremely subjective. I for one would rather cut my throat than live in Sydney or Melbourne due to traffic, overcrowding etc etc and would much prefer to live in a quiet rural area with fresh air and no traffic. Each to their own.

Here is the link to the article
http://www.bankwest.com.au/Media_Ce...ankWest_Quality_of_Life_Index_2008/index.aspx

Traffic is not a problem for everyone.
It also depends on where you live in relation to your work
My workplace is only 15-20 minutes away

Back