barrels of key locks at settlement date

Hi

Is it common for new landlords to change the complete barrels of key locks after the vendor moves out? the property is intended to be tenanted after they move out.

As I am not in the area of the property and be working hard away on settlement day, I would need to find out if that could be organised between the PM and the locksmiths, if you have had similar experience.

According to you, for the Central Coast area, how much can I expect to be reasonable price to have key lock changed per key lock? Imay ask for something stupid here, sorry

Thank you

Hi

Is it common for new landlords to change the complete barrels of key locks after the vendor moves out? the property is intended to be tenanted after they move out.

As I am not in the area of the property and be working hard away on settlement day, I would need to find out if that could be organised between the PM and the locksmiths, if you have had similar experience.

Thank you

I always change the locks. Its cheaper to change the whole handle rather than just the barrel

I've never changed locks, except once when we had dodgy tenants move out.

I've always been surprised that tenants have never asked about having the locks changed, who may have keys etc. Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

We secure the premises, statutory requirement,
& exceed statute,
mastered, secure locks and keys, that can't be cut at hardware stores, sign keys out and in,
its cheaper: repinning barrels costs $10.00: the locks cost the same as bunnings junk.
best, I only carry 1 key
have read NSW and Vic RTA and Regulations, not read all the others,
am surprised that a landlord doesn't protect themselves from failure to provide a secure dwelling claims.
NSW RTA said:
70 Locks and other security devices
(1) A landlord must provide and maintain the locks or other security devices necessary to ensure that the residential premises are reasonably secure.​
Vic RTA said:
70. Locks
(1) A landlord must provide locks to secure all external doors and windows of the rented premises.​
a person turns up with an old key, opens up the place, , ,
would be considered the forseeable consequence of not providing the tenant a reasonably secure premises

Last edited:
I always change the locks.

At every tenant change over?

I never change the locks, but like Wylie if I had a dodgy tenant or vendor I probably would.

I like Kathryn's idea of having controlled keys that a normal honest locksmith can not copy. Still doesn't stop dodgy locksmiths from copying them for the right fee.

Originally Posted by NSW RTA
70 Locks and other security devices
(1) A landlord must provide and maintain the locks or other security devices necessary to ensure that the residential premises are reasonably secure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic RTA
70. Locks
(1) A landlord must provide locks to secure all external doors and windows of the rented premises.

These two pieces that I lifted from AlmostBob's post don't say anything about new keys. They say a house must be secure, which our houses are.

I don't see any problem at all, and as I said, in over 30 years, I have not once been asked about who else may have a key, never been asked to change a lock. I've always been amazed by that, but it is a fact.

When purchasing a property I change locks, get window locks installed/dead locks and everything keyed a like - as far as I can.

Wouldn't do it for change of tenant though, unless there was some important security reason to do so.

also be aware that its easy to copy those do not copy keys,

simply break off the top bit and take it to a locksmith and say you broke it when it got jammed

also be aware that its easy to copy those do not copy keys,

simply break off the top bit and take it to a locksmith and say you broke it when it got jammed
not just "do not copy" keys
secure lock systems,
not available from hardware stores, cant cut them if they cannot access the blanks. our keys are 8mm longer, have an extra pin, are a different keyway, than anything available from hardware stores
we generally recover a half dozen non functional almost duplicates whenever a tenant requests additional keys, they try to copy the keys, it doesnt work, we issue keys free but they do not ask till they spend $30-40

find a decent locksmith and ask, in Aus everything costs more than it should, but the overprice on decent locks, will be the same as the overprice on crap locks

our keys are stamped 'do not duplicate' but that is not why they are secure
attachment.php
can see the key, grooves on side = 0
reply in thread to a pm

blueskymine said:
Hi Bob (?)

Thank you for your advice
Sorry I am not 100% ok with English language, are you saying that you have a master key when you wrote:
'I only carry 1 key'

I don't understand what you wrote:

mastered, secure locks and keys, that can't be cut at hardware stores, sign keys out and in,
its cheaper: repinning barrels costs $10.00: the locks cost the same as bunnings junk'

ie: you saying that you have a master key, and change it when tenants move out?
It can't be cut at hardware stores
I don't understand: 'sign keys out and in': you mean take copies of them when tenant moves out?

I don't understand: Do you mean that have a master key is cheaper than repinning? Do you suggest that I change the locks and get a master key?
Sorry I don't follow what you wrote, if you could explain the step by step process,

Thanks Bob
Anne
repinning a master keyed, lock system is cheaper than going to any hardware store to buy new locks,
buying a secure lock costs the same as **expletive** hardware store locks,
sign keys in and out, tenants sign for the number of keys they receive, they pay for repinning the locs if they do not return all keys
master key system, no matter how many properties on the system, 40 at current, plus storage areas, utility rooms, et al, I carry a single key for all, picture above of landlord's keyring. staff carry a single sub-master key that fits all their area only

edit, we also secure the locks to the door with unusual screws, the tenants can't undo without an amount of thought, thought being something tenants are not good at, we do not get them removing our locks
shop4fasteners_security_screws_machine_screws_pin_torx_countersunk.jpg

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Back