Basic Rennovation Package Costs?

Apologies for the very newbie questions,

If I was looking at the minimum costs required for a Basic Rennovation Package, how much would it be based on the following requirements, just as an indicator to see what budget I need to set aside if I were to purchase a particular property. (assume its a standard sized, 30-40 year old and 1 story and I am looking to get it done on a low budget)

The things that need to be done are:

1) Replacement of existing kitchen with a simple budget kitchen
2) Replacement of existing bathroom with a simple budget bathroom
3) Painting and decorating the entire house
4) Polishing floorboards throughout OR Replacing carpets
5) Would I need to do any electrical upgrades/work?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

1) Replacement of existing kitchen with a simple budget kitchen
$5000ish - DIY or getting it installed?
2) Replacement of existing bathroom with a simple budget bathroom
Depends what you're doing
3) Painting and decorating the entire house
DIY or a painter? DIY, maybe $100 a room for paint if they are big rooms, less if you have small rooms or normal height ceilings (I'm used to 3.6m ceilings and needing 10L of paint per room)
4) Polishing floorboards throughout OR Replacing carpets
$500 a room
5) Would I need to do any electrical upgrades/work?
Probably

As a rule-of-thumb, only spend 10 - 15% max of the purchase price on a reno.

Buy for $250K - spend $25K max. You are trying to spend $1 to get $1.50 - $2 or $3 increase in val.

Pah, I spent 30% ($20k) of the purchase price on this place and it is now worth almost 300% what I paid for it plus almost another 100% from the block subdivided off when I manage to pull the subdivision money from thin air.

Spent over 100% ($35k) of purchase price on the last one and I'll be lucky to get it back dollar for dollar.

The $20k jobbie was: rewire, replumb, new kitchen, new floors, new floor coverings, paint inside and out, landscaping. Still scratching my head about the roof.

Rules of thumb vary ...

Back