BASIX is killing me!

Hi guys,

garage conversion to 1 bed granny flat (DA approved)

We're having some issues with BASIX because the current one is requiring us to:
1. WATER CONSUMPTION: install and connect 2000 litres rain water tank to toilets and laundry - quoted $3,500
2. ENERGY USAGE: install Gas instantaneous hot water system - quoted $2,500 because we have to dig up the yard and install gas pipes etc. Currently it's electric in the shed we're turning into granny flat.

It's so costly and made us desperate so we started playing around with BASIX ourselves under www.basix.nsw.gov.au.

Under Project Details, Site Area, current BASIX has 560sqm which is the total area of the block. If we change this to 110sqm, which is the area of the granny flat we're fencing off, it makes a huge difference in requirements in terms of Water Consumption and Energy Usage parts. I.E. We can get away with not connecting toilets to rain water tank, and not installing gas hot water system.

I have just come across ONE BASIX for granny flat submitted like that (site area 110sqm) and got all 40% passed and DA approved!

When queried, my architect is saying that Site Area should be the total block size and not just the granny flat fenced area. I am so baffled how the other DA went through! :confused: Was it an odd case? What should be the correct Site Area under Project Details please as this has a huge influence on what needs to be done and cost associated with it?

Thanks heaps guys!

Hi Rockstar, yes I saw that thread. You mentioned putting the granny flat area. But the archi is saying you gotta put the whole site area by law. Bla bla bla. But we saw the other getting theirs approved on just site area of 100sqm. :mad: The original BASIX had been DA approved and we are trying to amend it. So, which site size is actually supposed to be recorded?

The original BASIX had been DA approved and we are trying to amend it.

You can do a new certificate if there are changes and ask council if this is ok.

Why don't you phone the helpline for basix and find out the facts from the source re land size. May save you a packet.

Yes, I will on Monday. Just wondering if people who's done BASIX knows about this site area thing meanwhile.

I think the band is to change all electrics with gas or solar. I could be wrong. But all new dwellings/builds won't pass BASIX or get 40 mark without using at least gas storage units I think. I thought for ours, we could get away with jut the electric unit because it's an existing structure. But apparently not! I don't think BASIX takes into consideration of existing structures, etc.

Yes, I will on Monday. Just wondering if people who's done BASIX knows about this site area thing meanwhile.

I think the band is to change all electrics with gas or solar. I could be wrong. But all new dwellings/builds won't pass BASIX or get 40 mark without using at least gas storage units I think. I thought for ours, we could get away with jut the electric unit because it's an existing structure. But apparently not! I don't think BASIX takes into consideration of existing structures, etc.

I do about a lot of Granny Flat BASIX anually. Generally I do the following:

Type: Separate Dwelling House
Bedrooms: 1, 2 or 3 (note!! if it's 1 bedroom and you dont want gas you must use solar(electric boosted hot water). There's no other way! Alternatively you can use BOTTLED GAS for the hot water system? Not too expensive!

Your architect is correct though- the SITE AREA is the entire site area, not some portion of the block. Whoever got away with this is very lucky because it's not legal. To quote BASIX, "Site area: means the area of land on which the proposed development is to be carried out."

To pass Water:
Just make your shower at the maximum rating, toilet 4 star, taps 4 star and get a large tank connected to an outdoor tap only. There's NO NEED to connect it to a laundry or taps internally whatsoever. tanks these days are quite cheap and you can split it into two tanks if its cheaper.

Tell you what, why dont you call me and I'll log in and do it for you. I'll get it done so it costs you the least amount of $$. Ive learned a few tricks myself over the years ;)

Brazen.

Back