Bassendean council WA, asking for zoning change

Hi everyone I have a question for you. I have a property in Bassendean that my partner and i bought to build a house for us to live on, however circumstances have changed and we are looking into developing the block instead.

This is my block its a corner site of 655m2 and a zoning of R20. Some of you may know Bassendean is going through a fair amount of redevelopment. The rezoning of blocks was based on using a 400m catchment from existing train stations. My block is actually 350m from the Bassendean station however they rezoned in blocks of streets instead. The opposite side of the road to me is R40.

Im hoping to convince the council to approve a duplex build & subdivision based on a few points.

1. The fact im within the 400m catchment
2. The zoning on my block would only need to go to R25 to work with the 5% variation allowed.
3. My block of land is 655m and majority of land around is around the 450m2
4. Id like to build highly sustainable and energy efficient properties.
5. I believe it would be a huge improvement on the amenity considering its currently an 1930 asbestos workers shack.

Id like to know if anyone in Perth has had success or failure in convincing a council to change its zoning.

Just commenting here to because I'm interested in the replies you'll get. I like your reasoning.

(I don't like your chances, but I don't know anything about town planning)

Spot rezones hardly ever go through but in this case I think you are in with more of a chance than normal.

I have a feeling that rezones need to be approved first by council then WAPC so it's not a simple process but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Make an appointment with Bassendean Council town planning and discuss. I would ask for R40, not just go for R25.

Also check with Bassendean and see if there is another round of rezones coming as it might be included in that and you can wait.

Hi everyone I have a question for you. I have a property in Bassendean that my partner and i bought to build a house for us to live on, however circumstances have changed and we are looking into developing the block instead.

This is my block its a corner site of 655m2 and a zoning of R20. Some of you may know Bassendean is going through a fair amount of redevelopment. The rezoning of blocks was based on using a 400m catchment from existing train stations. My block is actually 350m from the Bassendean station however they rezoned in blocks of streets instead. The opposite side of the road to me is R40.

Im hoping to convince the council to approve a duplex build & subdivision based on a few points.

1. The fact im within the 400m catchment
2. The zoning on my block would only need to go to R25 to work with the 5% variation allowed.
3. My block of land is 655m and majority of land around is around the 450m2
4. Id like to build highly sustainable and energy efficient properties.
5. I believe it would be a huge improvement on the amenity considering its currently an 1930 asbestos workers shack.

Id like to know if anyone in Perth has had success or failure in convincing a council to change its zoning.

I think you will find its already zoned R25 in bassendeans town planning scheme for corner lot density bonus

The Council may permit the development, or support the subdivision of an existing R17.5 or R20 coded corner lot to a maximum density of R25 provided the original lot has frontage to two constructed roads and any new lots created or new dwellings constructed shall have their own frontage to a constructed road.

https://www.google.com.au/url?q=htt...0QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNGj5M9DVXH44r7rOGWjQ-5rFZwtbQ

Here is their proposed rezoning which I last heard is about 18 months away. Looking forward to your update when you speak with them.

http://www.bassendean.wa.gov.au/7_info_feedback/briefings/no84-Jan2012/84_page4.html

I have unsuccessfully tried to get one of mine upgraded from r20 (within 800m from station) when they were asking for submissions but successfully convinced them not to take it from us to turn it into a road. :rolleyes:

Property owners adjacent to us successfully had their large property upgraded to R40 although it was a lengthy process. I think it took a couple of years.

Aaron - they will be getting rid of a lot of those split coding to make more properties developable as triplex site rather than duplex.

Last edited:
Hi INVSTOR
I read that briefing page however it is around 3 years old from the look of it.
Ive gone through LPS10 and looked at the maps attached to that report but its still showing my property as R20, Do you know of another location that shows what the property might be rezoned to or does this not exist currently.

Im out of the country currently so i cant call the council however i did email the planning department and received this response. "There are no active actions in place at the present time to adjust density codes within the Town having regard to the recommendations within the LPS. Such recommendations will be worked through over a number of years."

Not sure what that means i know councils love to be super vague i have a property in Girrawheen also that no one will give us a straight answer on whats happening with the rezoning.

Hi INVSTOR
I read that briefing page however it is around 3 years old from the look of it.
Ive gone through LPS10 and looked at the maps attached to that report but its still showing my property as R20, Do you know of another location that shows what the property might be rezoned to or does this not exist currently.

Im out of the country currently so i cant call the council however i did email the planning department and received this response. "There are no active actions in place at the present time to adjust density codes within the Town having regard to the recommendations within the LPS. Such recommendations will be worked through over a number of years."

Not sure what that means i know councils love to be super vague i have a property in Girrawheen also that no one will give us a straight answer on whats happening with the rezoning.
Message me with the address and I'll see if I can tell you anything I know. A few agents who have called planning in the past 6 months have been told proposed changes are about two years away. Which is pretty loose also.

Thanks for message, I thought it was there. Great location, don't sell it! My understanding is that it falls within the proposed R60/100 rezoning. Make an appointment with planning department at the council next time you are in Perth. Being a corner block I think you could get the higher zoning.
Your property falls within this red section? Looks like it to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 150
Back