Bath installation

Hi folks,

Doing a mini bathroom reno and am hoping someone can give some guidance in relation to bath installation.

Most of the job is pretty simple, re-tile, new benchtop and taps etc.

I have a shower which I want to put a tub underneath.

This is in Perth, so concrete slab and brick walls.

I assume my timeline will be something like this:

• demolish shower door/sides/mini brick wall etc
  • remove wall/floor tiles where bath will go
  • lay bricks to support sides of new tub
  • waterproof concrete slab and brickwork...?
  • have a plumber connect the tub to the existing floor drain and fit tub into mortar bed...?
  • same plumber adds tap and piping in wall under existing shower stuff...?
  • tiler goes crazy on new tub brickwork and all existing walls
  • bathroom looks shmick

Hopefully you can see where I am the most unsure.
Am I missing anything else?
Do I need the new drain to line up with the existing drain perfectly or can the plumber work around this?
Do I have to plaster my brickwork or anything before tiler comes along?

Thanks in advance!

Photos would be good but I'm guessing the plughole for the new bath and the drainage for the shower will not line up. When I was looking at baths for our new bathroom reno I noticed many have space under the bit where you sit so that a flexible hose can be run from the drain to the waste in the existing shower.

Our new bath is sitting on our back patio and comes with such a flexible pipe but we won't need it.

You'd be best to go to a bathroom shop and choose a bath with this style of set up. It is easier for us as we have a second floor bathroom on timber floor and car parking underneath, so all plumbing can be reached and changed easily. Not so easy on a slab, so you need a bath with a bit of flexible pipe able to be run to the existing drain. At least this is how I understand it to be after my research.

Thanks Wylie, will look into flexible drain pipes.

Can you elaborate Scott? I assume I need to waterproof around my new bath area. What is required for bricks and concrete?

I don't see my new bath needing any electrical work.

I won't do anything to the ceiling.

I guess, depending on where I end up tiling, I may need to paint any left over wall. But that's not really what I was asking about.

Back