Bath or no bath ? Would you ? Should you?

I'm doing a unit block up and it has 3 x 1 bed. I am thinking that I'll leave out the bath and make a large shower instead... No one ever uses them ? And I can save money and some design space..

What do you think ? Is this ok for a style reno ? As I don't see a family in one with a baby to "bath". Etc

Thoughts everyone ?

Bathtub is a waste of money unless you are going for a) high end and b) have adequate space in your bathroom. If you have neither of these, then don't bother.

I have a block of units and intend to renovate next year as well so all eyes and ears for related topics.
I would keep the bath and go for shower over bath style. Depends on your target tenants. If you rent the units out to families they need the bath for young children.
Regards.

Thinking about all of the properties, we've been in, they've always had baths in them, even the 2 x 1 unit we own has an incorporated shower/bath

In our current residence the kids use the bath every day

At what age does one transition from bath to shower :confused: :D

I would leave the bath and put the shower over it- as mentioned, a 3br apartment is likely to have a family as tenants and they will want a bath.

Unless you think it's likely to be a share household I'd definitely have a bath. It's a must for anyone with a child (It's also a must in our household with no children). Many people I know - especially women - love a bath.

I would leave the bath and put the shower over it- as mentioned, a 3br apartment is likely to have a family as tenants and they will want a bath.

I think the OP has 3 x 1 bedroom apartments and not a 3br.

If its a 3br then keep the bath. If it is a 1 bedroom, lose the bath and make a 2 person shower, it will be more in line with your young professional/couple market.

At what age does one transition from bath to shower :confused: :D

If female - then at around 90 or so, when they are too old to get back out of the bath. Nothing like a soak with a glass of wine and plate of chocolate biscuits ...

I'd put a shower over the bath. You can get specific baths for the purpose that have a flat, wider space at the foot end.

if families are target tenants, I'd include a bath.
if target is professional singles/couples, I'd stick with shower only.

I really hate showers over baths. so I would never put that in.. even if it is letting personal preference get in the way of business decisions! :eek:

I haven't had a bath in years. Fortunately the shower works well though :)

My wife does use it reguarly (she fits, I don't) when she wants to pamper herself.

I'd recommend it for a 3 bedroom unit. Part of the target market for this size property is going to be people with one or two kids. Without a bath the property will be immediately rejected by many prospective tenants and buyers.

Hi Georod3,

I agree with those who have suggested you do what your target market wants. If you're not sure who your target market is just give a respected property manager in your area a call (or better still, ring a couple). They will be able to tell you what the expectation is in your suburb is - and also who your target markets are if you're not sure.

I don't have a problem with a shower-over-bath set up for investment properties. Certainly you don't want your personal preferences to get in the way of doing what your target market wants (which can ultimately mean higher vacancy rates/reduced cashflow etc. etc - Not good!).

Here's a photo of one of my client's recent reno's. It isn't a shower-over-bath set up but it could easily be...

White_Cedar_Bathroom_-_AFTER_Big.png

Good luck with the reno.

I hate shower over bath combo's, you are always standing on a funny angle and sometimes stub your toe on the edge of the bath/screen, as a big guy I cant really fit into a bath anyway unless my legs are folded or i stretch out and then the upper half of my body isnt in the water

I think previous posters have hit the nail on the head, 1br then shower only, 3br then a bath is a must to accomodate families etc.

Depending on space maybe go for the best of both worlds and have a free standing bath and seperate shower?

Personally I love a nice big shower with one of the ceiling nozzles witht he rain style shower heads....utter bliss :)

As said, it depends on your target market.

Most of the families I know find that the kids switch to a shower when around 8 or 9. A couple of families have done renovations on the bathroom to get rid of the bath and replace it with a larger shower.
Marg

I hate shower over bath combo's, you are always standing on a funny angle and sometimes stub your toe on the edge of the bath/screen, as a big guy I cant really fit into a bath anyway unless my legs are folded or i stretch out and then the upper half of my body isnt in the water

I think previous posters have hit the nail on the head, 1br then shower only, 3br then a bath is a must to accomodate families etc.

Depending on space maybe go for the best of both worlds and have a free standing bath and seperate shower?

Personally I love a nice big shower with one of the ceiling nozzles witht he rain style shower heads....utter bliss :)

You need to get into a bathroom showroom more often: flat bottom baths especially designed for showers have been around for ages. They manage this trick without compromising using it as a normal bath, too.

Both bath and shower is obviously best, no brainer there. :D The question is, what to do if there ISN'T room for both?

Answer: I'll get rid of the bath when they make a shower you can fill with ice to keep the beer cold.

(Just a joke, don't respond with showers you can do this in.)

I'd put a shower over the bath. You can get specific baths for the purpose that have a flat, wider space at the foot end.

do you know anywhere to get these..?
i really dont like shower over bath its just too cramped but if you can get decent bath it might be alright..
im trying to get one from the uk atm but not having much luck

if families are target tenants, I'd include a bath.
if target is professional singles/couples, I'd stick with shower only.

I really hate showers over baths. so I would never put that in.. even if it is letting personal preference get in the way of business decisions! :eek:

agree
have any of you suggesting shower over bath actually used one?

Back