Bathroom options

Hi all

Looking for some opinions on bathroom layout.....

I have a 2.1x2.4m ensuite. It currently has a combined spa bath / shower, single basin vanity and toilet. The house is about 25 years old and the ensuite is definitely dated - everything's pink - the spa, tiles, vanity, towel rails, shower rose - everything!!!! Yikes!!!!

I'm trying to decide on a configuration. The cheapest option would be to leave the configuration as is and just update everything.

Another option is to take out the spa and install a double vanity, which would involve bricking up half the window (which would leave a 1500mm(H) x 700mm(w) window), and just having a walk in shower with 2000mm high glass panel.

In addition, I'm considering installing 2 showers. This will add about 2K to the cost due to having to install wall to wall glass screens with a door, rather than just a panel. I'm worried this option will also make the bathroom look smaller than it already is. With this option, the cat swinging space, I.e. the space between the wall and the shower screen and the space between the wall and vanity will be about 1.6mx1.5 - and this space includes the toilet.

What do you think would add more value - spa, double vanity, double shower?

The second bathroom has a 1.5m bath.

Is the extra work and cost, over and above just updating the existing configuration worth it??

Cheers

Paul.

Is this for an IP or PPOR?

If it is for an IP, I'd be asking local agents what is the best way to go.

If there is already a bath elsewhere, you could do the double shower, but it would depend on who is going to rent it and/or buy it.

We are in a family area and each time I mentioned to any agents that we were thinking of having no bath it was always stressed that we need a bath in this type of house and I know from experience (we have IPs in the same suburb) that we have lost potential tenants due to not having a bath.

Thanks Wylie.

I'm currently living in the property but only intend to stay for 18-24months, then move on to the next project - at which time I'll either sell or rent (probably sell).

Yes, I agree with your point about the bath - just wondering whether the 1.5m bath in the second bathroom is sufficient to address the needs/wants of those who want baths, or whether the potential negative impact on the property's value of not having a bath in the en-suite is overridden by the double vanity and double shower???

Cheers

Paul

If I had a main bathroom with a bath (as long as it isn't a tiny corner one), then I'd want a nice big shower in my ensuite, maybe do the double. You've covered the "bath" issue and can lash out on a luxury ensuite. But I'd still check with local agents.

I'm with Wylie. I've just exchanged on a place with a shower over spa and need to work out how to add an ensuite with a shower. A bath in the ensuite would be nice but would be overridden by having a standalone shower.

Back