Bathroom Reno - 101 tips help

Since there are several bathroom reno thread already, I though I might jump-in as well. It's unlikely for me to do this DIY like painting (don't have the guts to get it wrong) but can't help but wonder if there are bits that I can do myself to make it cheaper. Again, I have no idea where to start this, initial questions :eek:

The bathroom, what do you think should be done?
I'm thinking:
1. Strip all tiles and wooden(?) top, strip bathtub, toilet bowl and sink
2. Retile and re-waterproof
3. New vanity, new toilet bow, no bath just shower box
Keep every piping in place if possible, the one for shower might need to be moved a bit, what do you think?
bathroom.jpg

The process, is this the right step by step + tradies? What am I missing?
  1. Strip sink, taps and shower head - plumber?
  2. Strip everything else - handyman/ builder? airtasker? can I do it myself? :D
  3. Prep the subfloor, tile memrane, blue goop? (I read Depreciator thread on lots of blue goop) - builder?
  4. Tile the bathroom - tiler
  5. Put back new vanity, toilet bowl, shower box and shower heads - plumber and builder?

Can all the above be done for about $2K :confused: from the photo, the bathroom should be about 1.5m x 2m max. I'll be ablt to confirm once I have access to the property

Materials
I thought it'll be cheaper to source them myself (or not) - other suggestions on where I can get these cheaper will be great
  1. Shower Screen $330.0 http://auctionworldsydney.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=1342
  2. Tiles $15.0 per sqm for 30sqm =$450 http://www.tfo.com.au/online-tile-store/product/super-white-nano-pre-sealed-polished-porcelain-tile
  3. Mirror $20.0 http://www.bunnings.com.au/award-600-x-450mm-diamond-edge-mirror-panel-_p1730114
  4. Vanity $180 http://auctionworldsydney.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=1888&limit=100 OR http://auctionworldsydney.com.au/in...ath=60&product_id=1932&sort=p.price&order=ASC

Total main materials = $1100 ish, that left...another a grand or so for labour :eek: :(

Should be doable,

I usually budget $2k for a full bathroom replacement including bathub/shower replacement (without moving plumbing) and including new 4in1 light

Water proof etc 4 hours
Tiling 2 days
Vanity 3 hours
Shower screen 2 hours
Mirror 1 hour

=$910 at $35 per hour

also, waterproofing kits arent cheap, anywhere between$85-$150
for 30sqm, you might need 5 -6 bags of glue at $30 per 15kg bag, plus say 15kgx2 $80 in grout

it all adds up :(

Should be doable,

I usually budget $2k for a full bathroom replacement including bathub/shower replacement (without moving plumbing) and including new 4in1 light
So there's hope :eek:

Water proof etc 4 hours
Tiling 2 days
Vanity 3 hours
Shower screen 2 hours
Mirror 1 hour

=$910 at $35 per hour
Nice breakdown, thank you

also, waterproofing kits arent cheap, anywhere between$85-$150
for 30sqm, you might need 5 -6 bags of glue at $30 per 15kg bag, plus say 15kgx2 $80 in grout

it all adds up :(

Have no idea what's needed, something like this?
Waterproofing kit 6L $128 http://www.bunnings.com.au/shower-waterproofing-kit-6l-2103-006k_p0966311
Tile adhesive $40 per 20kg ~ $180 http://www.bunnings.com.au/davco-20kg-ultraflex-ceramic-tile-adhesive_p6656384
Grout $40for 15kg http://www.bunnings.com.au/dunlop-15kg-slate-grey-flexible-coloured-grout_p6829874
So additional $400? need to try cutting off some items then, maybe the cheaper $140 vanity instead :(

If you do a total new bathroom for $2K I'll eat my hat :eek:

:rolleyes:

Well, the thread is really about how can I make it no more than $2k lol.

Total budget for reno is $5K with some couple hundreds bucks on top maybe. The current rough breakdown
1. Painting - 1k DIY
2. Bathroom - $2K ish (hopefully)
3. Laminate flooring - $1.2K DIY
4. Kitchen - whatever is left *super sad face*

The chance is, I'll blow this budget badly up, maybe $7K?
Okay.png

I just had a look at the photos a bit better. Have you considered White Knight paint to go over the wall tiles? Could be a very cheap, but good $ for $ to keep your costs low. Ive heard more success stories (with good preparation) than not so successful stories.

That way you might get a few $$$ to throw at the kitchen.

pinkboy

I think I'd have to eat one of Truly Exotic's hats too if all that is doable for $2k by someone who doesn't have those skills.

If the budget is that tight, this would be my idea:
1) Change the vanity/mirror - $200
2) Change the toilet - $225
3) Change the tapware - $100
4) Resurface the tub and tiles
5) Paint the remaining non-tiled surfaces - $75

Handyman - $300

Total = $1000. Leaves $1000 for resurfacing

It's unlikely for me to do this DIY like painting (don't have the guts to get it wrong) but can't help but wonder if there are bits that I can do myself to make it cheaper.

Sorry... I didn't mean to be unhelpful, but was amazed if anybody can pay tiler, pay a plumber, buy a shower screen, new toilet, new vanity, waterproof and spend only $2K. If you can... more power to you. I'm impressed.

I would have thought $5K to do all that, and I guess 2m x 1.5m is small so costs are less, but $2k is very cheap.

Definitely rip it all out yourself if you can. I would think most tilers would prefer to do their own waterproofing so that if there is a leak, they cannot shift the blame to the waterproofer.

I like the idea of painting the wall tiles to keep costs down, new vanity, maybe new floor tiles, new loo, new taps. If you buy well, you can keep costs down.

I just had a look at the photos a bit better. Have you considered White Knight paint to go over the wall tiles? Could be a very cheap, but good $ for $ to keep your costs low. Ive heard more success stories (with good preparation) than not so successful stories.

That way you might get a few $$$ to throw at the kitchen.

pinkboy
Contemplating about it, have no idea if I can do it neatly. Will watch some videos to see how easy it is, though I'm fairly sure the floor tiles need to have waterproof redone.

I think I'd have to eat one of Truly Exotic's hats too if all that is doable for $2k by someone who doesn't have those skills.

If the budget is that tight, this would be my idea:
1) Change the vanity/mirror - $200
2) Change the toilet - $225
3) Change the tapware - $100
4) Resurface the tub and tiles
5) Paint the remaining non-tiled surfaces - $75

Handyman - $300

Total = $1000. Leaves $1000 for resurfacing

Cool!
Haha, I wish I can techie, maybe, maybe if I can pull it off Truly Exotic will be running out of hats.

Sorry... I didn't mean to be unhelpful, but was amazed if anybody can pay tiler, pay a plumber, buy a shower screen, new toilet, new vanity, waterproof and spend only $2K. If you can... more power to you. I'm impressed.

It's helpful to know that most of the time that budget is unrealistic :)
My only point of reference was someone quoted $3800 for one of the brisbane bathroom full reno, which sounds reasonable for that one but above budget for this nsw property.

I like the idea of painting the wall tiles to keep costs down, new vanity, maybe new floor tiles, new loo, new taps. If you buy well, you can keep costs down.

New floor tiles very likely, this one makes the bathroom looks yuck. Waterproofing need to be done as well because I think there are sign of leaks.

Cool!
Haha, I wish I can techie, maybe, maybe if I can pull it off Truly Exotic will be running out of hats.

I ain't kidding :) Resurfacing has to be your first choice on a tight budget. You can resurface wall/floor tiles and tub (and even your kitchen). If you don't know what I'm talking about, check this out:
http://youtu.be/pGRHS1-d3tM

Plenty of resurfacing companies across the country but may be harder to find in regional areas.

Handyman required to change the vanity, toilet and tapware.

You can paint whatever's left which I'm assuming is the window frame and open spaces of wall.

If you're re-tiling, you'll need a water proof certificate for insurance claims if it ever comes down to it and getting a licensed water proofer ain't cheap. You could retile over the existing floor tiles though.

Depends on where the bathroom is.

Some states require water proofers to be licensed I think

2k for the bathroom..well done!

I ain't kidding :)
You can paint whatever's left which I'm assuming is the window frame and open spaces of wall.
I'm not sure about open spaces, the photo has this wood looking like thing. Need to confirm once I have seen it in person.
Last year photo:
Bathroom.png

If you're re-tiling, you'll need a water proof certificate for insurance claims if it ever comes down to it and getting a licensed water proofer ain't cheap.
I'll use this image many times...better safe than sorry later on
Okay.png

Depends on where the bathroom is.

Some states require water proofers to be licensed I think
it's in NSW, Maitland area

2k for the bathroom..well done!

Not yet. I might ended up bugger all and just get someone to do it!

EN710;1224048 [B said:
The process, is this the right step by step + tradies? What am I missing?[/B]
  1. Strip sink, taps and shower head - plumber?
  2. Strip everything else - handyman/ builder? airtasker? can I do it myself? :D
  3. Prep the subfloor, tile memrane, blue goop? (I read Depreciator thread on lots of blue goop) - builder?
  4. Tile the bathroom - tiler
  5. Put back new vanity, toilet bowl, shower box and shower heads - plumber and builder?
Are these the right Tradies by the way?

• Sink, taps, shower head, toilet and tiles can all be removed by handyman? I assume water need to be off when these items are gone?
  • Moving shower piping (if needed) by plumber
  • Floor prep by licensed waterproofer, then tile by tilers

Are these the right Tradies by the way?

• Sink, taps, shower head, toilet and tiles can all be removed by handyman? I assume water need to be off when these items are gone?
  • Moving shower piping (if needed) by plumber
    [*]Floor prep by licensed waterproofer, then tile by tilers

Most tilers are licenced to waterproof, and prefer it so there cant be blame laid on them should there be a leak.

pinkboy

But waterproofer might not be a tiler?

It's unlikely. So you want to find a tiler who does his own waterproofing. Not uncommon.
Unless you do nearly all the work yourself, that $2,000 limit is going to be hard to keep under.

Well have to say top effort if you can get it all done for $2000. The wall tiles look to be in the style that was laid on rendered concrete so if this is the case kiss the 2k goodbye.

If its a rental I would leave the wall tiles and paint them, just spent the time to prep before painting. Acid or chlorine clean the floor tiles (just don't splash it everywhere and MUST be diluted and were gloves, safety glasses and mask and cloths you don't care about). New tap ware $120 - 150 you can do this your self (yes turn the water off).
Replace the toilet just be aware if the outlet is through the wall and you retile the floor this will have an impact on the outlet so just check the new height so you get the correct toilet pan. Again if you put tiles on the floor and the outlet is through the floor you may need to raise the floor collar, no biggie just need to be aware of it is all.

If you put tiles on the floor you may have to cut the bottom of your bathroom door, just remember to paint the bottom of the door if you cut it down.

The vanity easy just a bit of messing with the plumbing. Put a mirror up and depending on cost and your budget at this stage put a half shower screen or replace with curtain.

My 2c worth

EN710,
Bathrooms are the trickiest rooms to reno.
That bathroom, ugly as it is, looks pretty serviceable.
You mentioned earlier that you have a total of $5K for this whole house reno.
You have allocated funds for painting, flooring, the bathroom, and you said anything left over will go on the kitchen.
What state is the kitchen in? Would it be better to just give the bathroom a tidy-up and spend a bit more on the kitchen? What will have the most impact on a prospective tenant?

Back