Bathroom Reno - 101 tips help

EN710,
Bathrooms are the trickiest rooms to reno.
That bathroom, ugly as it is, looks pretty serviceable.
You mentioned earlier that you have a total of $5K for this whole house reno.
You have allocated funds for painting, flooring, the bathroom, and you said anything left over will go on the kitchen.
What state is the kitchen in? Would it be better to just give the bathroom a tidy-up and spend a bit more on the kitchen? What will have the most impact on a prospective tenant?

Yes, might need to reshuffle the funds around per SSers feedback here. At the minimum waterproof and floor retile is needed as there are existing problem, I don't want it to become more serious.

Kitchen looks like this
Screenshot_2014-10-10-09-00-25.pngScreenshot_2014-10-10-09-00-41.pngScreenshot_2014-10-10-09-00-48.png

I have not seen it personally, but does it looks like it can be saved?
Was going to post this in another thread, if all it needs is replacing some parts, where can I buy just the doors? and what tradies can take off the benchtop and put a new one in? :confused:

Did you buy the property unseen?! That's brave!

Yes, sight unseen - I used a BA though.
This is my first IP and the last time I tried to jump into the market, I freeze, diddling around for months due to analysis paralysis, worried that I buy something totally wrong etc. So decided to force myself by signing a BA agreement, paid the deposit so I have nowhere else to run :eek:

Yes, sight unseen - I used a BA though.
This is my first IP and the last time I tried to jump into the market, I freeze, diddling around for months due to analysis paralysis, worried that I buy something totally wrong etc. So decided to force myself by signing a BA agreement, paid the deposit so I have nowhere else to run :eek:

Good move with the BA, now you're in the market!

I'm curious about this:

At the minimum waterproof and floor retile is needed as there are existing problem, I don't want it to become more serious.

That room has a bath, so it's not as if there is a shower hob that is leaking. Where is this leak? Is it due to water on the floor, or is it a plumbing fixture that is leaking?

To waterproof a floor properly, the waterproofing needs to extend up the wall at least 100mm. That would mean the bottom row of wall tiles would need to come off.

Best outcome would be for the leak to be the result of an issue with a pipe or a tap and for you to be able to put more money into that kitchen.

Good move with the BA, now you're in the market!

:D

just bought 2nd IP in Brisbane, also with BA. This one is no fuss, have a good PM getting quotes and tradies, so I'm totally hands off.

Hopefully will have the guts to get the next IPs myself, BA is quite heavy on pocket if I buy more this way :)

I'm curious about this:

That room has a bath, so it's not as if there is a shower hob that is leaking. Where is this leak? Is it due to water on the floor, or is it a plumbing fixture that is leaking?

To waterproof a floor properly, the waterproofing needs to extend up the wall at least 100mm. That would mean the bottom row of wall tiles would need to come off.

Best outcome would be for the leak to be the result of an issue with a pipe or a tap and for you to be able to put more money into that kitchen.

I need to revisit this, but I believe there was eevidence of moisture seeping through the wall of some sort. The last quote the pm get for partial retile is $660 from memory, I asked for full reptile quote and they never got back to me :-/

Just double checked previous inspections - I need to smack my memory, nothing mentioned about leak. I must remember wrong.

B&P: Shower recess / over bath: Minor defect. Type of defect. Installation / Wood rot. Shower is too close to window reveal and timber window has
moderate to extensive wood rot. Recommendation: Please consult a builder to install a physical barrier to protect window from water damage or remove window and install a sky light.

I guess this is where my preference for walk in shower came in :-/

Property Inspection from September last year:
Panel lining starting to come away from walls and tiles also coming away from walls. Note
no obvious water damage but tiles are loose under taps which back onto back bedroom and
wall in bedroom is loose but not damaged perhaps an inspection needed under house.

But it never mentioned anymore in the latest reports.

Last edited:
Quick photo update

Somehow the bathroom looks a lot nicer photo, but here it is.

It's smaller than I thought, and as you have said, the wall tiles might be safe-able but I'm not sure how it works if I take the top little mirror cabinet off. The drain in the bathroom floor also very clogged - all black with one hole left :eek:

IMAG4505.jpg

Small bath tub
IMAG4506.jpg

19xx toilet? still working
IMAG4507.jpg
IMAG4508.jpg

Small mirror cabinet - rust inside
IMAG4509.jpg

More photos

The exhaust need changing
IMAG4510.jpg

Mould?
IMAG4511.jpg

Random tiles on the side
IMAG4512.jpg

Item to do list for handyman (let me know your thougths):

1. Change exhaust fan with the likes of this http://www.bunnings.com.au/heller-3-in-1-white-bathroom-heater-with-duct_p4420203
  2. Take off the wooden board on top, clean mould and paint the walls with anti mould paint
  3. Clean mouldy ceiling and paint with anti mould paint
  4. Take off and change toilet
  5. Take off little cabinet and change with mirror
  6. Take off basin and change with small vanity+basin
  7. Paint wall tiles (they're not plain flat tiles tho? :confused:)
  8. Clean grouts and moulds etc

Back