Bathroom reno before sell

Hi people,

Lots of bathroom reno topics about at the moment, and I want to add another to pick your collective brains.

In the middle of a reno before I sell this place, things I am currently in the middle of include:

- repaint entire house (walls, doors using airless spray kit)
- new kitchen and appliances/splashback in 600x300 white tiles
- new tiles (tile over tile) in laundry, bathroom
- new handle lever sets throughout
- cosmetic touch ups outside (patio roof panels etc)

Everything is DIY except for utilities (electric/water connections), but it got me thinking about the tiles in the bathroom. I am just tiling over tile on the floor which should be easy enough, but that will mean the wall tiles are still old and ugly. I was just going to leave them, but now thinking of the following. Let me know if I am on the right track.

- pry off all wall tiles
- if plaster is ok, new 600x300 white tiles around the shower only, if tiles plaster is damaged in the process, install villaboard around shower and tile over
- remove plaster from all other walls, install plasterboard to wall (using wall screws? glue?) up to plaster near cornice (the current tiles go up to about 30cms below the cornice, the remainder is plaster painted over. I am hoping that I can keep this in place, and join the plasterboard to the existing plaster so I won't have to mess around with the cornice)
- paint all plasterboard walls that aren't being tiled
- finally, new shower screen down the side
- existing bath to remain, won't touch this as it is ok.

Total budget for the reno is under $10k, planning to complete over the next few weeks. If budget remains, perhaps new security screens throughout.

Cheers

Last edited:
Could be tricky ;)

Pray for good plaster underneath or go to Bunnings and buy the sheets of tiles that are plasterboard backed and use those :)

Looks like a lot of stuff for $10k - lots of blood sweat and tears involved

We tiled over both wall and floor tiles in bathroom. I was telling my tenant about it one day after they lived there for two years and they were surprised and hadn't noticed that we'd cheated. The existing tiles need to be etched first.

Could be tricky ;)

Pray for good plaster underneath or go to Bunnings and buy the sheets of tiles that are plasterboard backed and use those :)

Looks like a lot of stuff for $10k - lots of blood sweat and tears involved

nah pretty straightforward - new kitchen with new appliances from Mitre10 all for under $4k was the biggest saver. Plus all my labour of course

Never heard of the plaster backed tiles at Bunnies, will have to have a look tomorrow.

We tiled over both wall and floor tiles in bathroom. I was telling my tenant about it one day after they lived there for two years and they were surprised and hadn't noticed that we'd cheated. The existing tiles need to be etched first.

What did you do about the resulting 10mm step in the floor? I am thinking of using the angle grinder to grind a small slope so people don't stub their toes at the transition. Not going to bother with the walls as I'm afraid the walls won't be able to hold the weight of the new tiles+glue.

What did you do about the resulting 10mm step in the floor? I am thinking of using the angle grinder to grind a small slope so people don't stub their toes at the transition. Not going to bother with the walls as I'm afraid the walls won't be able to hold the weight of the new tiles+glue.

I remember my hubby having that concern also. It's higher than the wooden floorboards in the hall way but it's not an issue. I grew up in a house that was originally built like that. (maybe its a Qld thing)They both have a metal strip edge from memory. I think we also had to shave the bottom off the existing door. The only problem we have is the tiler didn't follow the slope to the drain very well so excess water doesn't drain away. It doesn't matter too much though. You wouldn't want to have levels lower leading to your hallway as excess water may be directed that way. If you are leaving the old tiles in shower you may be better hanging a rail from wall to wall and using a shower curtain rather than glass, blocking view to old tiles. You can buy nice cotton ones that are machine washable and nicer than the $5 plastic ones. It depends what your bathroom set up is though.

Last edited:
Back