bathroom reno by accident

For the past four months I have been agonising over what colour to repaint our bathroom and toilet. The rest of the house was repainted a year or two ago, inside and out. We have previously replaced the old shower screen with a new single-panel one, and replaced all the old yellowed plastic taps and shower with chrome ones.

This afternoon Hubby sent me to Bunnings to get some new towel rails, as I had talked about replacing the cute folksy floral pine timber ones when we repaint. He demanded I pick a colour NOW and buy a tin of paint. Will know tomorrow if the new colour clashes with the original tiles or not. Regardless, I may as well acquire a new vanity this week and hey presto, new bathroom.

question

Can the experienced bathroom gurus please let me know if I'm crazy to spend $1800 on a 1500mm vanity with ceramic top and twin basins. Is it overcapitalising on a 1988 build 3/1/2 house, 16 klms from the CBD? Estimated house value $450K.

All up the reno will come in at $3000 including jobs already done.

What are the other houses in your area like? Do they offer similar?

I think $1800 is a bit much to spend on a vanity - is this retail? Cheaper (and probably comparable) could more than likely be sought elsewhere such as online or warehouse outlets.

What are the other houses in your area like? Do they offer similar?

I think $1800 is a bit much to spend on a vanity - is this retail? Cheaper (and probably comparable) could more than likely be sought elsewhere such as online or warehouse outlets.

I know. I don't want to order something online (unseen) and then find it doesn't fit the space available. I don't want to have to remove all the tiles and then replace, a major hassle, just to fit a smaller unit.

The other houses around us are mostly freshly reno'ed and most homes are larger than ours. Median price is over $500k.

I reckon you will use this every day and why not choose something you like and not regret choosing cheaper to save a few hundred dollars.

I know. I don't want to order something online (unseen) and then find it doesn't fit the space available. I don't want to have to remove all the tiles and then replace, a major hassle, just to fit a smaller unit.

The other houses around us are mostly freshly reno'ed and most homes are larger than ours. Median price is over $500k.

In Melbourne when I was doing my reno's there was this great factory place that sold pretty much everything you could imagine for quite cheap but didn't compromise too much on quality. I can only assume there would be something similar in Brisbane? Or factory outlets etc

I reckon you will use this every day and why not choose something you like and not regret choosing cheaper to save a few hundred dollars.

Two very different POV here... If I spent what I would consider a premium on a vanity even if I really like it when I could have purchased a comparable item for cheaper I would regret buying the expensive one. Even if the dearer one was prettier. :)

In Melbourne when I was doing my reno's there was this great factory place that sold pretty much everything you could imagine for quite cheap but didn't compromise too much on quality. I can only assume there would be something similar in Brisbane? Or factory outlets etc

Two very different POV here... If I spent what I would consider a premium on a vanity even if I really like it when I could have purchased a comparable item for cheaper I would regret buying the expensive one. Even if the dearer one was prettier. :)

I am guessing even a "cheap" 1.5m double sink vanity would not be cheap. I have bought "cheap" for IPs and regreted it because things tend to be cheap for a reason.

I also am at a stage in my life where I can afford to splash out and I refuse to use something several times a day that I compromised on due to price. I love using my bathroom because everything is what I wanted with no compromise.

I still hunt for a bargain but that is not the same thing.

Well I went price comparing this morning at a big name bathroom shop in the next street over from the "warehouse" I visited yesterday. Reece was much more pricey.

I would think it will scratch. I would always go china/ceramic. Our son had a double sink made from concrete for about $1K or less from memory... very nice.

I took Mr Angel to both bathroom shops this morning and convinced myself that a poly top single sink at around $1100 plus taps and plumbing would do fine. Then he spotted a 1500 white vanity with a caeser stone granite-look top. He wants that one, it comes in about the same price as the one I was being upsold back on Monday. It is much nicer than all white, and the stone matches the existing tiles perfectly. So it looks like that will be the one. Yes Wylie, I will do pictures for you.

Here's the old vanity and sink

Attachments

• IMG_20150105_143441.jpg
    IMG_20150105_143441.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20150105_144108.jpg
    IMG_20150105_144108.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 57
Reece, made in Australia, comes in just under $3000 with a single sink, waste and tap and Builders Discount Warehouse (Chinese factory) at $1900 for the stone top with double sinks, taps and wastes.

Now I'm scared to spend any $$$, still waiting on replies from PM in Gladstone. That story only gets worse.

Back