Bathroom reno project -

Looking for a bit of help with my PPOR bathroom reno project. I'm renovating with a view to adding equity. My personal preferences are secondary to what will generate equity. Keeping costs down is a priority and ideally would like the job to cost sub $3k.

Current classy 60's bathroom looks like this:
http://imgur.com/kPsSqIt
kPsSqIt.jpg

RF4jTQ1.jpg

EMIhiis.gif

Thinking to do the following:
  • Large white tiles on the walls
  • Large grey matte tiles on the ground
  • Resurface bath and basin white
  • New shower frame
  • Re-use existing vanity (which is in good condition still)
  • Depending on funds, new tapware in the shower

In this order:
  1. Remove shower frame - me
  2. Detach vanity - me
  3. Detile walls - me
  4. Remove existing floor - professional (anticipated asbestos underneath) - $TBA
  5. Resurface bath and shower basin - professional - $800 guesstimate
  6. Retile floor and walls - professional tiler - $TBA
  7. Install new shower frame - professional - $TBA

A few questions about the project:
  • Are the list of reno's in line with what would generate the most equity for least spend?
  • Have I got the order of reno's correct?
  • Have I missed any steps? (for example, after de-tiling will the walls need to be re-sealed prior to having the new tiles installed)
  • What are the ballpark costs for the floor removal (asbtestos), retiling, shower frame and shower installation?

Thanks in advance :D

Think you will struggle on that budget when needing asbestos removal and a tiler. Think asbestos removal starts around $55 a square metre. Going to be more on a small job. Can't comment on how much equity it will add.

Don't forget to add if you remove all the tiles, before you retile the floor and walls you will need to waterproof the whole area again as the waterproof usually comes off with the old tiles.

Have you thought about just retiling the floor and have the wall tiles, bath and shower hob just sprayed white. I wouldn't paint the floor because it is a high traffic area that why I recommend retiling.

We are retiling the floors in an ensuite and main bathroom at the moment due to leaks.

To pull up floor tiles, re-waterproof, remove and re-install shower screen and lay tiles is about $2k each bathroom + ~$250 each room for tiles.

Worthwhile getting lots of quotes, mine varied by $2k.

This is just the floor.

That seems expensive nemo300 I got my bathroom tiled for 1750. Bathroom is 2.8x2.4 with double spa and floor to ceiling tiles and feature tiles in a niche.

Water proofing should cost that much. It shouldn't cost more than $100 for materials and a days labour about $300

I got several quotes.

First one was $2.5k just to remove shower floor, waterproof and re-tile.

Quote I went with was about $1450 just for shower, or an extra $450 to do entire bathroom floor. Ensuite was a bit more expensive as there is a toilet.

I'm happy with his quote - he starts Monday. Picked up the tiles earlier today.

If you are handy (which you seem to be) why not do it properly by ripping everything out? Instead of detiling (messy, time consuming) just rip the walls off and resheet (quick, easy).

Why would there be asbestos under the floor tiles? They should be on concrete. Walls are likely to be asbestos though. Google asbestos wall removal(you can do it yourself).

$800 to patch up an old bath and shower base? I'd rather pay a little more (overall) and have a great looking bathroom. As you say you are looking for equity gain. A painted bath and old shower base won't do it. especially with that ugly, thick bath hob.
Time to let it go!!

Why don't you just tile over everything? I just did this in one of my ips and it was cheap and looks good

With the shower screen what I did was pull out the old glass, resprayed the frame and then put in new glass, that was also easy

Also check out ikea if there is one close to you for inspiration.

Have you thought about just retiling the floor and have the wall tiles, bath and shower hob just sprayed white. I wouldn't paint the floor because it is a high traffic area that why I recommend retiling.

It was alwys my plan to spray the bath and shower basin white. As for the tiles, they're ooooold, grout is missing in places and have fine cracks throughout which is why I'm not considering respraying them.

If you are handy (which you seem to be) why not do it properly by ripping everything out? Instead of detiling (messy, time consuming) just rip the walls off and resheet (quick, easy).

Unfortunately I don't think I'm that handy travelbug. I work a desk job and my property is small so don't have heaps of space for tools either. Know of any good videos that would walk me through it?

Why would there be asbestos under the floor tiles? They should be on concrete. Walls are likely to be asbestos though. Google asbestos wall removal(you can do it yourself).

Asbestos under/in the floor based on my neighbours comment. Has has an identical unit to mine that he renovated. He specifically mentioned that it wasn't behind the walls but probably under the floor.

$800 to patch up an old bath and shower base? I'd rather pay a little more (overall) and have a great looking bathroom. As you say you are looking for equity gain. A painted bath and old shower base won't do it. especially with that ugly, thick bath hob.
Time to let it go!!

The bath and shower base are old, but are in very good condition and feel like decent quality. Although I'm not well versed in renovations, I can't see the ROI in a complete bath and shower overhaul. I see the bath/basin respray as analogous to a fresh coat of paint; a small financial outlay for large visual ROI.

Yeah hard work.

Looks like the tiles have been put onto rendered wall so they will be stuck on good and proper.

Your bathroom is the same layout as mine! "cozy" I think is how an estate agent would describe ;)

Found this photo online of a reno done while keeping the same layout if it helps you

image9.jpg

I am reining my bathroom early in the new year and have decided to take out the wall between bathroom and toilet and add a toilet to my laundry.

I'm shooting for 4k as I will be doing all of my demo and electrical (electrician), plumbing is free, tilled by a mate.

Best of luck to you!

I'm shooting for 4k as I will be doing all of my demo and electrical (electrician), plumbing is free, tilled by a mate.

Thanks for the pic bigdealbaby. Good luck with your project - you are VERY lucky to have those skills/contacts. Neigbhour is a retired electrician. Might have to make good friends with him :D

I agree with travelbug about getting a new bath instead of re-painting. It will definitely last longer to my opinion.

I did part of my bathroom reno and the hard work was mostly ripping all the tiles, shower frame, vanity etc.

brought the all the bathroom /toliet accessories + tiles then pay the subbies to come in to do the work.

It was about few years ago and the the cost break down was:

1. bathroom /toliet accessories + tiles $2000
2. labour approx $3000

all up was approx. $5000.

not sure if it is possible to get a bathroom done for sub $3000??!?!

if thats true let me know..... =)

I did part of my bathroom reno and the hard work was mostly ripping all the tiles, shower frame, vanity etc.

brought the all the bathroom /toliet accessories + tiles then pay the subbies to come in to do the work.

That sounds like a decent way of going about it. How long was the time frame between you starting the demo work, and tradies finishing their part?

That sounds like a decent way of going about it. How long was the time frame between you starting the demo work, and tradies finishing their part?

FWIW, our bathroom for our place in Chadstone looks similar to yours and we did a recent renovation:

1. Asbestos Testing $200 (less than 1 day)
2. Self demolishing bathtub/shower/vanity unit and walls (3 days) $0 DIY.
3. Replumbing works $800 INC GST (1 day)
4. Waterproofing and replastering $750 INC GST (3 Days)
5. Tiling & Grouting 30m2 area $1,200 (Tiles $700, labour $500) (3 Days)
6. Vanity Unit Install DIY $350 (1/2 a day).
7. Shower Screen Install (Custom Made $600) (1/2 a day).
8. Repaint Walls & Ceiling $150 DIY (2 Days).

Nearly done, so far spent a good week on it give or take.

Back