Bathroom Reno

Guys

I am thinking to reno bathrooms in my PPOR, also a front part of my townhouse. The latest valuation is $680K which I believe $50K more due to reno that I did for kitchen and flooring for the whole house. So, back to bathroom reno, I have one upstairs (shower, bathtub, vanity and toilet) - around 10sqm, another is located downstairs (shower and toilet only) -around 6sqm.

I would like to update both. Both will have same tiling, and and for upstairs, I would like to remove the bathtub, and extend the shower area and install a bench. I am thinking about to spend $10-$12K on upstairs bathroom and $3-4K on downstairs one.

There won't be much changes in term of location, I just want to move the toilet to the end (where the bathtub now) and extend the shower area to include the currently where the toilet is). Downstairs one will be pretty much new tiling, shower and toilet.

I have few questions, but the first one, for $680-700K townhouse (2 beds), what is the likely added value after I update my bathrooms? And second question is, whether the budget I mentioned earlier is doable?

Another question is, I never did a reno before, I mean actually DIY it. Which part of bathroom reno is doable for a beginner like me? I might be able to remove the current vanity, shower screen, not sure how difficult to remove toilet - must be quite disgusting. Would like to save some money here and there. But probably I have better chance at DIY my front deck. I would like to timber deck my front yard - it is 16sqm, and I'd like to timber deck probably 6 sqm.

If it is the first time you have done this kind of thing then maybe just tackle the demolition and any painting required. You can strip everything out pretty easily, take off all the existing tiles, that should save you a bit of money. Toilet should not be too hard to remove, if it is just stuck down with silicone, just cut with a stanley knife and move it around till it comes free, otherwise just break gently with a hammer and cover waste pipe with plastic bag/tape till the plumber arrives to fit the new one.

Budgets look achievable

Good Luck

I'm probably going to be in the same boat as you next year. I think tiling should be within a beginners domain. You would definately want to read up on waterproofing etc. I've replaced taps to mixer taps and toilet cisterns before. Wasn't that difficult, but I wouldn't want to be doing the plumbing work behind walls/tiles.

If time isn't so much of an issue, start off with the smaller bathroom and see if the bigger one would be within your skills.

Hi guys

It has been a while. I just got an idea to replace my standard bathroom door into bi-fold door, also I am thinking about sliding door. The idea is I want to have less space for door inside the bathroom as the internal size is not really big. Any consideration or thing I need to be aware of?

What is suitable bi-fold door for bathroom?

Back