Bathroom renovation advice

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

The last two homes I have lived in had large master bedrooms with an ensuite. I've lived in my current house for the last five years, it's a very small house without an ensuite.
The house still has the original 1972 bathroom, it's so old its trendy again!
But it's time to bite the bullet and renovate it, I haven't been game to use the shower since I've moved in because I'm pretty sure it would not be waterproof. Luckily there is another bathroom with shower downstairs that we can use.
Because I miss having an ensuite so much I'm thinking of putting a door between the bedroom and bathroom to make it a two way bathroom. Being a small house means I would have to probably put the shower above the bath to fit another door in. I know some hate that but I think it may not be a bad thing, no leaks to living area below and less grout to clean!
There is a separate toilet next door to the bathroom but I'd like to add a toilet to the original bathroom as well. I'm happy to shrink the vanity down a bit because I plan to put mirrored cupboards above the vanity for storage.
Oh, and just to complicate things, all the ceilings are raking ceilings lined with cedar.
The existing wardrobe in bedroom is boxed in with gyprock above it. I am getting a new wardrobe installed on the other wall so the existing wardrobe can be removed or made smaller to accomodate the door.
Putting it out there for any suggestions and feedback, all suggestions/ideas gratefully received. Thank you!

I would put the laundry behind a door (european style) and make an ensuite and a family bathroom where your bathroom and laundry now sit (if that is what you want).

I'd also open the entry to each bedroom off the front hall to allow the hallway to go between living room and bedroom doors, and that makes the living room much bigger, but that involves more work, and that depends on so many other things (cost, desire to larger room, need to probably close bedroom doors etc)

Last edited:
Wow, thanks, possibilities I hadn't thought of! I like the European laundry idea. Just a question, I would have to relocate the laundry door somewhere to make a new bathroom entrance if the laundry was to become a bathroom as you can't have a toilet/bathroom opening on to a kitchen, there needs to be two doors between? Is that right?

I don't know much about kitchen/toilet rules, sorry. I too want to remove the walls around your dining room. We don't know if the main wall is load bearing, but even if it is I would think the benefit of removing it and opening up the lounge area would be worth the expense. You could also just remove the part in front of the second bedroom and leave the section in front of the third bedroom.

I would like to lose the back door and just use the doors onto your deck for outside access. You can remove the round kitchen bench and access the laundry directly from your now enlarged kitchen. Any loss of linen closet from the hallway can be made up for in this kitchen area.

By removing the walls around the current toilet, you can either make two small bathrooms or one large one that utilises space from your now smaller laundry.

Happy renovating.

I work better with drawings. so heres my 2cents. might be following on with what the others said or I just copied them, its to late to know for sure.familiar with euro laundry but, you could get away with ~1m wide, 300mm mini tub and 600 washing machine, with dryer above.

I recently put a pantry into our laundry with a slider to seperate the 2. the laundry still has an exit. from memory its 600-700 for washing machine, 300 mini tub, then a small bench 300-400. I hung the dryer and also a box from bunnings for shelves. does us! who wants to hang out in a laundry!!

with my sketch you may create a huge bathroom so a pantry or other features may be a good idea.

Untitled2.jpg

20140130_203513.jpg

20140130_203519.jpg

20140130_203525.jpg

Thanks Angel & Bob, your feedback is much appreciated.
The floor plan you see is the original one from 1972. Original owners I bought it from didn't make a lot of changes but when I first moved in I put in internal stairs as there was no way to access the lower floor except for external access.
I put the stairwell in the lounge area in front of the third bedroom. This has made the lounge even smaller. I added a door to the bottom of the stairwell so it can be closed off so now the previous empty space downstairs is self contained and occupied mainly by my son.
Though I think I rushed and could of chosen a better spot for the stairs perhaps but what is done is done. That's why I want to make sure what I do in the future is right & helps the flow of the house.
I had thought about moving the wall around the dining room previously but I'm pretty sure that wall is load bearing, the house is all raking ceilings inside & this wall goes up to the highest point of the raking ceiling.
To remove this would also mean as you stood at the front door you would look right at the dining table so I think it's to better to keep the wall, lot of money to spend for not much extra space. I have sliding doors between the dining room and hallway which I can close.
I have lived in open plan houses before and I really disliked this house and the poky rooms & layout when I first moved in (getting more used to it!) but the one advantage is there are sliding doors everywhere! I can close doors, hallways off, it makes heating/cooling & noise reduction so much more effective.
I like your sketch and photos Bob, thank you, I can visualise it so much better. I think that could work. I had thought of utilising the hallway for walkinrobe etc but couldn't imagine how to do it. Your idea is good. The kitchen has had one renovation in its lifetime & the round bench no longer exists, (yay!) it's just straight now.

Back