Bathroom Renovation - termite damage

Property I'm considering, has obvious termite damage. It ticks every other box for me - the only problem is the termite question mark. I would be getting a professional repair/renovation done, if I go ahead and purchase it (assuming that low offer is accepted, I get the most comprehensive pest and separate building/pest inspections that I can, and that it looks fairly *likely* that termites haven't travelled too much beyond bathroom). Trying to get an idea of what the bathroom job is likely to require though, worst case, should I decide to take that risk.

Damage I can find is all architrave on one side of bathroom door frame (in and outside) is eaten. The top architrave on the inside of the bathroom is also eaten. The toilet architrave is from halfway up, didn't check it down lower or in the rotten corner. Tiles on the wall backing onto the toilet have a gap and can see water damage/bubbling in that wall, which I'm assuming is the water source/leak from the shower?

Have never reno'd a bathroom before, but given the visible damage, and likelihood that at best the wall between bathroom and toilet has probably been eaten, I am assuming that a full bathroom renovation would be the best way to go? In part to find and fix damage and ?shower leak. Obviously the most expensive way though....if it is just that wall between toilet/bathroom and the architrave, given that the shower would have to come out for that job, would it be better to just re-do the whole bathroom? Anyone had an issue with termites in bathroom or leaking shower, etc? Any suggestions on how you would go about repairing? And on that note, one company that I spoke to today that strips and completely renovates bathrooms (fixed quotes) gave a ball-park of $20-25K for any bathroom. Said that's what they find is the average....steep for just a bathroom, but if it involves repairing walls, etc, it might not be....?

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 147
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 134
  • photo 41 (2).jpg
    photo 41 (2).jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 130
Hi pipsal,

If your low offer is accepted,are you still getting a good deal if you factor in 20-25k for bathroom reno?

Cheers Spades.

Hi Spades,

Looking at everything that needs doing to the place, and at the costs I can find out, I am guesstimating $40k should cover most of it, incl $25k for bathroom (unless termite is beyond bathroom). That should give it an almost full facelift, except kitchen cabinets/bench top which is still good, but I'm going to look into costs for updating bench and handles on cupboards so the whole place is reno'd if it can be done in the 40k.

There is no price on it at this stage, I was thinking of offering ?40k below what avg./original condition (20yr old) units sell for. A partly reno'd and smaller unit went under contract for 30k more than this last week. 30k would be 10% cg...I don't know that it's a good deal, but ok as long as no more termite problems are found. I'd be happier if I could offer 50k under avg price, but I doubt even $40k will be accepted, especially prior to b/p as owners power of attorney aren't aware of condition of property and want high price - I figure if I can get contract for 40k under I may negotiate further after b/p if it looks a lot worse than I thought, or I walk away?

Termite damage is like rust.....once you find a little there is a lot more to fix.
It does look like old workings but it has gone into the walls so you will not know the full extent of the damage until you start breaking walls down and looking.

The termites are looking for water so there is probably an old water leak there as well that needs fixing.

Guaranteed you need to do repairs before renting so factor in a full renovation with a new wall....at least $10k...done really cheap.
If you are handy you can do a lot of the work yourself to save some money.

If they will not come to your price then walk away and find something else...easier.

Good luck.

I would be offering a lot less than $40k below the average price in the area.

More like $60k+ as you should be compensated for the extra risk and time you are taking on.

Thanks a lot for the advice...$60+k is definitely more comfortable, but on a $300k property it seems like its huge from a seller point of view, but then cost of repairs doesn't work on % of price! Am thinking it might be an idea to ask if I can get b/pest done prior to making offer so offer isn't laughed at!

Back