Bathroom Renovations - Order Of Events

Hi guys,

I'm 23 on my third investment property. This is the first time I'm looking at renovating the investment property and renting out.

I had a quick question: what is the order of events for bathroom renovations?

I have an older style apartment which I want to hire someone to strip out and put new tiles, vanity, mirror, shower etc. Currently the toilet is in a separate room, so I'm keen to see if I can put another toilet in the bathroom.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on having a shower and bath tub? If I have the bathtub, I might not be able to get a toilet in there because it's really small.

Any feedback and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Yvonne

P.S. I'm not doing anything myself as I don't have the time.

1. Strip out and demolish
2. Rough in the walls and floors (if you want any nibs, new windows etc)
3. Plumbing
4. Electrics
5. Re check walls and ceilings in case you something was changed
6. Water poof
7. Tile
8. Cabinets, fixtures, mirrors etc
9. Clean up
10 Enjoy!

How many bedrooms? If 2 I'd rather a walk in shower than a second toilet.

Apartment as in unit/flat?
if so
1- get approval from Body Corp.
And if so adding a second toilet may not be that easy.

It gets so confusing with different parts of Australia calling things different names. I was confused when looking in Albury as they call villas, units. We call flats (as in high risers) units.
Or do you mean apartment as in single story (villa?)

Last edited:
IMO I always get a sparky in first to disconnect the old points.

It makes it safer for everyone, and the new points can be fitted over the tiles rather than tiling around them which looks terrible.

Final step also is silicone caulking of shower corners/benchtops etc. If you use a waterproofing company prior to tiling, odds are they can come back and do this for you (real art to getting it perfect, trust me).

Most important step is no.1... sketch out your new design showing where you want new mixers/taps, wastes, gpos, towel rails, vanity, toilet , bath etc to make sure you get your spacings right and your design 'works'
Are the walls sheeted or rendered brick? Older villaboard sheeted bathrooms had asbestos so make sure you know what you are doing.

Toilets can be added in apartments, I have done it. Just place the new toilet back to back against the wall where the original toilet is with a P trap and run your waste pipe through the wall connecting into the original toilet.

Many people prefer baths for bathing kids etc..

Back