Bathroom set ups

I would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts/experiences on bathroom setups and their effects on both renting and selling.

We are about to construct a triplex in a mixed unit/housing area and are close to a university. They will be 2x1x1 units. We are not sure about the bathroom configuration. Options

1. bath, shower, vanity and separate toilet
2. shower, vanity, and separate toilet
3. shower, vanity and toilet in same room

We want to go with option 3 but don't want to alienate a bunch of buyers and renters because we have no bath or the toilet isn't separate.

Experiences?

We had 'bathtub' on our list when we were looking for a place to rent. But it wasn't a non-negotiable. Location, price and having no stairs were non-negotiables. Bathtub, gas cooker, air-con and close to a supermarket were also on the list but in the end we didn't get any of them. We did get close to park, close to cafes, parking and gym in building though :)

Oh, and if they're close to a uni and likely to be rented by students, while a separate toilet would be great, a lot of student renters will put up with all sorts of inconveniences if the rent is cheap and they can walk to class/home from the uni bar.

Hello,

Don't know if its old fashioned or what but we had a smaller family bathroom when we renovated and went for the shower in the bathtub option. No one has ever complained and it allowed us to get a full size bath in with a nice glass guard that can swing out during the shower. Also meant the room wasn't crowded and allowed a bigger vanity for storage etc.

So if you think a bathtub might be a deal breaker you can always try that layout. I know it might seem dumb but you could always try a different layout for each triplex and therefore you are are catering for a wider range of people and you will get the feel for which layout is more popular for future renos.

I would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts/experiences on bathroom setups and their effects on both renting and selling.

We are about to construct a triplex in a mixed unit/housing area and are close to a university. They will be 2x1x1 units. We are not sure about the bathroom configuration. Options

1. bath, shower, vanity and separate toilet
2. shower, vanity, and separate toilet
3. shower, vanity and toilet in same room

We want to go with option 3 but don't want to alienate a bunch of buyers and renters because we have no bath or the toilet isn't separate.

Experiences?

i think separate toilet is vital in a 2x1 situation, especially if youre near a uni and might have a few people living there

I'd do 2 toilets if possible.
So toilet, shower and basin then a sep toilet / powder room.

Are you doing a cupboard laundry? If not do that and save space.

Since posting I have talked with a local agent. His first question was how many m2 is the floor plan and what area are you building in? Good questions.
He thought for my size units approx 94 - 100m2 inlcuding garage having option 3 would not be a problem.
If the extra build cost for option 1 was $3k/unit you would need an extra $58/wk over the first 12 months or $20/wk extra over the first 3 years.

I think it depends on your market. If its near the uni and likely to be students sharing then a bath won't get used but a separate toilet would be better. If young family area then bath would be more important.

Back