Bathroom walls gyprock?

Just a quick question.
Is it legal to use gyprock in the bathroom walls and kitchen or does one have to use villa board / something water proof

Thanks

Needs a waterproof membrane applied to Australian Standards for bathroom.

Kitchen what are you referring to, splashbacks? No membrane required, tile over plasterboard.

Someone told me it was a min requirement to put Blueboard or villa board and that gyprock with membrane is a very cheap way of waterproofing the bathroom

You may also find that wet areas will be lined with fibre cement, which is a different sheeting product than gyprock, as it is more resistant to water.

There are a couple of options: wet area plasterboard, villaboard or compressed fibre cement sheeting.

P/B has the advantage of getting a good joint finish whereas villaboard/cfc will tend to crack at the joints in time.

Regardless of what you choose, you will be required to waterproof the area to meet BCA requirements.

Well, looks like my builder actually used "water shield" gyprock. It was quite dark when I checked it out, so I may have not noticed the colour difference

Personally I would never use plasterboard in a bathroom rather use villaboard.

However this does not mean it cannot be used. Aquacheck is usually a green colour.

Gyprock Aquachek™ plasterboard is fixed to the frame with screws or nails. In showers and other wet areas, it is coated with a waterproof membrane before being tiled. In other areas of the laundry, kitchen and bathroom, the sheets may be tiled directly or simply painted. Gyprock Aquachek™ has the core and both linerboards treated to make them resistant to moisture and humidity. It is manufactured to satisfy the requirements of ASTM C630.

As with any sheeting in the bathroom it must be installed as per manufactures spec's. All to often I seen sheets installed incorrectly which has resulted in bowing of the sheet when tiled. It will also be required as others have indicated waterproofed to relevant standards. Make sure you get the certificate for the waterproofing.

Thanks
Brian

i've used waterproof plaster in my bathroom and the results are ok. had waterproofing done on the wet areas

The only downside i see is i tiled to the ceiling and therefore the plasterboard might have expanded due to hot weather and thus caused a bit of cracking in the grout near the ceiling.

Back