Bathurst is awesome

We moved from Sydney to Bathurst almost a month ago and I'm soooo happy with the change. I thought it would be a bit of a compromise but so far I've found great coffee (Toby's, Campos, local roasters Fish River), great breakfasts, good sourdough, decent sushi, deli with great selection of Spanish cheeses, great pizza place, cafe that does chia/protein/LSA/spirulina smoothies (and suspended coffees), macro health food store, gym with a creche that I don't have to pre-book, parking everywhere, hatted restaurants short drive away, lovely park in the middle of town that people sit and eat lunch on, all the normal shops you'd find at any Sydney mall, Archibald Prize on display at local library, mum's groups, rhyme time for babies, swimming lessons for babies, great new family GP who really knows his stuff, nice neighbours, I could go on but I won't.

It's fantastic. Plus, living in a house instead of a unit is awesome. As is walking through the CBD and lifting your head to see the ridges of rolling hills in the distance.

I haven't felt like I've missed anything since I've arrived. Except maybe Ikea. But that's only 2.5 hours away, which is probably how long people from Palm Beach have to travel anyway.

Best decision we've made in a long time. Can't recommend it enough for any folks struggling with the cost of living in Sydney but worried that country living means giving up all their cosmopolitan ways :)

We moved from Sydney to Bathurst almost a month ago and I'm soooo happy with the change. I thought it would be a bit of a compromise but so far I've found great coffee (Toby's, Campos, local roasters Fish River), great breakfasts, good sourdough, decent sushi, deli with great selection of Spanish cheeses, great pizza place, cafe that does chia/protein/LSA/spirulina smoothies (and suspended coffees), macro health food store, gym with a creche that I don't have to pre-book, parking everywhere, hatted restaurants short drive away, lovely park in the middle of town that people sit and eat lunch on, all the normal shops you'd find at any Sydney mall, Archibald Prize on display at local library, mum's groups, rhyme time for babies, swimming lessons for babies, great new family GP who really knows his stuff, nice neighbours, I could go on but I won't.

It's fantastic. Plus, living in a house instead of a unit is awesome. As is walking through the CBD and lifting your head to see the ridges of rolling hills in the distance.

I haven't felt like I've missed anything since I've arrived. Except maybe Ikea. But that's only 2.5 hours away, which is probably how long people from Palm Beach have to travel anyway.

Best decision we've made in a long time. Can't recommend it enough for any folks struggling with the cost of living in Sydney but worried that country living means giving up all their cosmopolitan ways :)

Yeah living regionally is a good option for medium income people like us. Im back in Sydney now but I reckon spend $300000 on a house and invest the rest in property that you can get rent and is tax deductable interest. it is better than buying a $800000 house in Sydney having to work all the time and never see your children.

Jo

I feel the same about moving to Newcastle. Best move ever.

I have no doubt I'll be saying the same thing in 12 months time when we move from the **** end of the country to cairns. Can't wait.

Good stuff Luce. Can I ask what your employment situation is. I had always thought one of the issues with living regionally was getting work.

Good stuff Luce. Can I ask what your employment situation is. I had always thought one of the issues with living regionally was getting work.

There is a big University out there, maybe to do with that. Luce could also be teacher, nurse, doctor, heaps of options. Maybe not if you are in finance or IT

Don't tell China.....

Can't possibly be a place any human could live in - it's not inner north shore east Sydney :D

I don't have an occupation. I studied, travelled and worked in random jobs through my 20s, met my husband at 29, he supported me while we lived in Spain and I didn't have any working rights. We moved back to Australia almost two years ago, fell pregnant after just a few months, and now have an 8 month old.

Thinking about studying something (again!) but this time something useful. Maybe town planning, WHS or accounting?

Anyhow, husband used to be a developer in Spain but here in Australia he started working in hospitality. He worked his way up from hotel plate scaper to trendy restaurant manager in 18 months. But even when you're managing a top restaurant in Sydney, you don't get paid enough to support a family. Here in Bathurst he could basically pull beers and we'd get by. For the moment he's the F&B assistant manager of a hotel in Leura and commutes each day, but hoping to find something closer in the new year.

I think these days that there's much less attraction in the big cities.

I used to enjoy going to Sydney for the shopping. But now, the shops that are there are in many cases just the same homogenous chains we have in Canberra. And the books and music I used to especially enjoy searching I can buy on the net straight onto my digital device.

Now I think that spending longer periods of time overseas in retirement is a much more viable option than it once was.

My children are spending long periods of time travelling now, so there's not much advantage in being at home to be close with them.

Still got your acreage Luce? Hows it going?

Hey TC, council meeting coming up in just a few days. Hoping to have a building entitlement reinstated that was accidentally extinguished a few years ago when the previous owner changed her boundary to allow her neighbours access to the creek.

We're pretty sure the council town planner is going to recommend council approve our submission. If approved, it will go through to state planning with the new LEP for ratification. Fingers crossed!

I don't have an occupation. I studied, travelled and worked in random jobs through my 20s, met my husband at 29, he supported me while we lived in Spain and I didn't have any working rights. We moved back to Australia almost two years ago, fell pregnant after just a few months, and now have an 8 month old.

Thinking about studying something (again!) but this time something useful. Maybe town planning, WHS or accounting?

Anyhow, husband used to be a developer in Spain but here in Australia he started working in hospitality. He worked his way up from hotel plate scaper to trendy restaurant manager in 18 months. But even when you're managing a top restaurant in Sydney, you don't get paid enough to support a family. Here in Bathurst he could basically pull beers and we'd get by. For the moment he's the F&B assistant manager of a hotel in Leura and commutes each day, but hoping to find something closer in the new year.
I met a lovely famIly from Bathurst 18 months ago who did the same move from Sydney and were loving it. The lady was a child health nurse and her hubby was a telephone technician / Telstra contractor or something along those lines.

I think these days that there's much less attraction in the big cities.

I used to enjoy going to Sydney for the shopping. But now, the shops that are there are in many cases just the same homogenous chains we have in Canberra. And the books and music I used to especially enjoy searching I can buy on the net straight onto my digital device.

Now I think that spending longer periods of time overseas in retirement is a much more viable option than it once was.

My children are spending long periods of time travelling now, so there's not much advantage in being at home to be close with them.
Same here, Geoff.

We moved down to the Peninsula in 98 to escape the rat race, and have never considered going back.

It is within reach if and when we need to go there, and unless you are a night clubber or a shopaholic, you can get all you need at the regional places like where we are.

Lenses!

Dear Luce,
Congrats on making the decision!
Depends on what lens you choose to look through doesnt it! sounds to me like you got love in your life!
You could live anywhere and feel like it was a great place!

We are living in a cold wet place, and its (really) :eek: me who walks all the mud into the house, but having people around you who make you feel like this it it! 'This is home 'is what its all about.
Just 2 weeks ago, my sweetheart bumped into an old student of his, who has climbed up the greasy pole in Bathurst.

All the other bits are just stuff!

Good on ya!

Same here, Geoff.

We moved down to the Peninsula in 98 to escape the rat race, and have never considered going back.

It is within reach if and when we need to go there, and unless you are a night clubber or a shopaholic, you can get all you need at the regional places like where we are.

Considering how provincial even Australian capital cities are in terms of fashion, nightclubs and the like most people wouldn't really notice a difference between a capital city and a regional centre.

Manchester, for example, has far better shopping, entertainment, live music, clubs, arts etc than Sydney - and it is just a second rung UK city.

Considering how provincial even Australian capital cities are in terms of fashion, nightclubs and the like most people wouldn't really notice a difference between a capital city and a regional centre.

Manchester, for example, has far better shopping, entertainment, live music, clubs, arts etc than Sydney - and it is just a second rung UK city.

+ 2 million :p

I don't have an occupation.

We moved back to Australia almost two years ago, fell pregnant after just a few months, and now have an 8 month old..
Wash your mouth out with soap, young lady!! :D

Being a mother is a very noble (and tough) occupation!! ;)

A few pics, please.

Last edited:

Attachments

• breakfast.jpg
    breakfast.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 115
  • clown brows.jpg
    clown brows.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 98
  • crib.jpg
    crib.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 101