Battered Melbourne Uni slashes 220 jobs

Some academic was interviewed and he said that Universities are always isolated from the outside financial markets. ie They're in their own little world!

my ex was an accountant studying part time while working full time. he would often comment that the lecturers has no idea of how, what they were teaching, related to the real world - having done their phd and then gone straight in to teach they had often had no practical experience.

says a lot really.

Now lizzie thats harsh,
I do not see how the Uni's budgeting has to do with bagging the "lack of Knowledge/ experience within the teacing staff.
I teach part time at Uni (not melbourne) and continue to work fulltime as a hands on clinican found that generalisation insulting.
While its true that some employees do complete their degree and most probably with honours can go straight into teaching if they meet the Faculities criteria of employment. Luckily for me I a nurse so there is a minimal requirement of clinical experience needed to teach and usually a speciality. But not to hijack this thread probably has no relevance to the Melbourne Uni's budgeting descisions.

sorry if i was offensive - but it was his real world experience. the lecturer's in his course had often "not" ever practiced as an accountant, but rather been perpetual students who reverted to lecturer's.

the comment was made in response to tubs's comment regarding the uni leaders living in their own little world ... rather like the above lecturer's

Back