Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill

Hi

we're flirting with the idea of moving to a more family friendly area - with a budget of around $500K, the East, Inner West and North Shore are now beyond our reach - thanks to looking after my investment portfolio before tyring to solve the family home problem.

We were thinking perhaps Shire/Hills - but leaning towards Hills - aesthetically prettier/greener. In particular I was focssing on the Crestwood/Roxborough pockets in Baulkham Hills. Can anyone help in validating that these are smart areas to buy in for cap growth and community - considering NW train link if it goes ahead... think these areas are closer to the planned stations. Also, whats living in the Hills like for anyone who's grown up closer to Syd?

Thanks

Highly Geared
Are you after a freestanding house, or would a townhouse do? We're in the North Shore, and it is great, close to schools, facilities, and relatively quick into town.
If it was me,I would prefer a townhouse in the north Shore, Epping, Eastwood, areas. i think these areas are getting expensive, but with the upgrades to the train line and Lane cove tunnel, will increase in value substantially,. REAs around here tell me many of the families buying in the North Shore have moved from the Inner West and Eastern suburbs, as they currently see'value for money' here.
just my opinion.
Further out, i would consider Winston hills or North Parramatta.
Good luck.

Budget of approx$500K is still not going to get you much of a freestanding home here in the Hills- I live and work here and know the area intimately. Yes, the buses aren't the greatest and a car trip plus tolls is going to be expensive but it's a great family area to live- can vouch for this personally.

Consider cheaper suburbs such as Seven Hills or Quakers Hill if you prefer rail or even Northmead/Winston Hills as you can catch a quick bus into Parra station and CBD commute from there.

As for power lines- these are NOT predominantly a problem in Baulkham or Castle Hill but you do need to be aware of them in nearby West Pennant Hills - the "cheapies" you will see advertised are usually within co-ee of one of these charming stauncheons :)

Crestwood vs Roxborough Park- pretty much similar areas, though Crestwood has younger housing whilst RB has the benefit of being closer in to Castle Hill and is well regarded by locals. It also has Waves pool and parkland with RB oval as well. Nice spot to walk the dog and get the kids doing their laps for the upcoming athletics carnival :D

Don't hold your breath for the rail link planned- until it's given the official go-ahead by the appropriate authorities I won't believe that it will happen ;)

However, it's highly likely that, once approved, values will soar to match current comparable suburbs that have rail links to the CBD (think Epping/Beecroft prices). The Hills are a fantastic place to bring up children, and we also benefit from not only being one of the highest owner occupier areas in Sydney, but we also boast the lowest unemployment rate.

$516K is the current median for housing and, whilst low compared to other suburbs in Sydney, represents fair value for an area that has a lot going on- inc the Rouse Hill Regional Development Plan and the infrastructure changes to central Castle Hill.

Good luck with your search and happy hunting in the lovely Hills :)

By the way, if you don't like buses, you can always drive and park at the nearest railway line (Seven Hills, Pennant Hills, Beecroft- depending on where you live) and use the system this way. I know many Hills residents who do just this instead of fighting the M2 traffic every peak hour.

Thanks Jacque - that was very informative. Maybe we'll need to revise our expectations upward but I think prices may come back - I really do. I know thats a very aggressive claim/belief given the way things are going, and youd know even better being a buyer's agent.

Back