Beautiful shades of green

I was looking at a property last week, which has a little add-value potential.

The property is an older one. Appears fairly solid, suburban Melbourne, already yielding a little over 7%, and, clearly has room to be improved.

One thing that I was a little unsure about, though. The bathroom is clearly in desperate need of ventilation, which is solved easily enough. The reason that I know this, is because the ceiling (and walls, to a lesser extent) have some beautiful shades of green over what appears to be the natural off-white colour that used to be there. Mould, presumably, and from what I can tell is completely isolated to that one room only.

So, I'm curious. Is this sort of damage likely to be cleaned up with a decent bottle of bleach and a coat of paint? Or, is it possible that this may have worked its way into the structure itself only to recur again afterwards?

Thankyou :)
 
So, I'm curious. Is this sort of damage likely to be cleaned up with a decent bottle of bleach and a coat of paint? Or, is it possible that this may have worked its way into the structure itself only to recur again afterwards?

It sounds like it is all because of the steam & moisture being not ventilated in that room which is the same conclusion you've reached.

I had a property like this too and I cleaned it up with bleach but there were still 'stains'. I got a little curious and dug into the gyprock down thru a few layers of paper and yes the mould had grown down through the paper.

I stripped off the paper and used skim coat to reseal and then used pre-coat to seal that + 2 coats of antimould white. 3 years later - no recurrence. Oh + I also installed a new extrator fan :)
 
James, bleach is not actually regarded as a mould killer as it doesn't destroy the roots. That stuff is insidious. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to rip off the walls. In the unlikely event that there's mould on the frame you should be able to kill it with hydrogen peroxide. I wouldn't let this deter me from buying the place, BTW.
If you end up doing this, make sure you wear proper breathing apparatus & be careful that the mould doesn't become airborne. If the spores get out of the bathroom you may well find the mould spreading.
 
Awesome, thanks for that guys, 'preciated.

Still got a little research to do, but that certainly helps a great deal in solving that particular riddle. I love this forum.
 
We are currently having this problem in a property (bathroom with a ceiling exhaust fan) we thought about an IXL Tastic or similar, but may try a dehumidifier

No dehumidifiers at Bunnings though:(

Google has found a few, nothing local though

White vinegar and elbow grease has killed off the mould but it will surely reappear; current fix is to leave the exhaust fan on for an hour after showers
 
Top