Becoming a property developer?

Hi Ausprop,

Do you have any experience dealing with Stirling? I've inadvertently landbanked a solid sized project there...PM if its sensitive.

Thanks, Chris

Unless your good at it of course. Not to blow my partners trumpet or anything but he constantly knocks back work and has never advertised.

A lot of his work is from resi builder/developers who do their own projects then sell. He gets ALL his work from word of mouth. Builders/developers who ONLY build in 5 suburbs in Melbourne and that is it.

There is no chance that my partner nor I would agree to build Mr Smith's plans. Too much hassle and not worth the constant phone calls and ball busting. Thats why my partner hates doing work for owner builders. They have no idea.

What i would imagine being stressful is getting my home built by a volume builder. The stories that I have heard....my partner was employed for a year or so as the fix it person. He still to this day shaked his head at how many bowed walls he came across. Mind you one would wonder how it went wrong when the frames are prefab.

Mind you when I was designing my PPOR I went to a few display homes for a look n see. Even my dad shook his head and was blown for six when he saw the quality of these display homes. Makes you wonder what your place would end up like.

You have completely missed the point of my post; you wouldn't have if you were a builder and knew what you were talking about! You're assuming that stress only eventuates if you don't get enough work; not a suprising assumption considering you are just starting out, but there is much more to building than you are aware of at this stage of your game. In the current climate where trade shortages are competing with competitive resource industry incomes you could be as useful as as a monkey's uncle and still be offered plenty of work..being good at your trade or being a good builder has nothing to do with the stress I was referring to, although it does have something to do with getting return clients.

The point I was making, in agreement to Mark's comment, was that when you compare profit margins and risk, an astute developer gets a larger slice of the pie than the builder for the amount and duration of risk he takes. Probably explains why most builders consider their building work a stepping stone into development; purely provides the cashflow or equity needed as well as experience.

From your post I would infer that your partner contracts to other builders/developers so he is not the one doing all the organizing and assuming all the responsibility; he is a contractor in this situation. When he is a licenced builder operating in his own right for himself, then your opinion may, and will change. You will soon find out that building for others involves alot more OH&S, contract law/management, customer service, communication and time management and isn't just about banging nails in!

Last edited:
Unless your good at it of course. Not to blow my partners trumpet or anything but he constantly knocks back work and has never advertised.

A lot of his work is from resi builder/developers who do their own projects then sell. He gets ALL his work from word of mouth. Builders/developers who ONLY build in 5 suburbs in Melbourne and that is it.

There is no chance that my partner nor I would agree to build Mr Smith's plans. Too much hassle and not worth the constant phone calls and ball busting. Thats why my partner hates doing work for owner builders. They have no idea.

What i would imagine being stressful is getting my home built by a volume builder. The stories that I have heard....my partner was employed for a year or so as the fix it person. He still to this day shaked his head at how many bowed walls he came across. Mind you one would wonder how it went wrong when the frames are prefab.

Mind you when I was designing my PPOR I went to a few display homes for a look n see. Even my dad shook his head and was blown for six when he saw the quality of these display homes. Makes you wonder what your place would end up like.

when I cut my teeth on dev resis we used small builders. The first one was so hopeless he nearly sent me to the wall. I could have built the place by hand quicker than he, his paperwork was a shambles and I am still not sure if it was a cover to extract more $'s - possibly both and he was generally a useless builder... floor wastes 2 inches from the door instead of in the centre and complete wrong brick set outs such that you could barely stand in the shower. maintenance was just somehting other builders did. I then did a luxury house with a small builder... what a joker he was, didn't turn up for the concrete pour so structural beams were left idly on the verge, ordered the wrong trusses so half the facade was never built - went on and on. So then used a project builder for next one... took them about 5 supervisors and 3 years to get that pathetic little place to completion. At one stage I had no appointed supervisor. In fact am involved with a messy syndication with a small builder and he has nearly sunk that too. water was coming out of the gas negus points which is always a good look.

and yet other builders are a dream run. For me it is quality project builders. Who you engage is critical as you will be partnered to these people for quite some time and your financial well being will be riding on their shoulders.

Thanks for the post.

You have completely missed the point of my post; you wouldn't have if you were a builder and knew what you were talking about!

I have an understand what is involved in building. I'm building my own PPOR on a half a mill cash budget and that's for construction only. In saying that even though i'm the owner builder those that have building experience (my partner and father) are running the show. I say what I want and they make it happen.

You're assuming that stress only eventuates if you don't get enough work; not a suprising assumption considering you are just starting out, but there is much more to building than you are aware of at this stage of your game.

Don't know where you have gotten this from. We plan on building our own developments only. In between projects my partner will continue to run his carpentry business where he knocks back work coz he is so busy. Yes my partner would have the "builders license" but we would have NO interest building for others. Like I mentioned previously the builders that he does work for build only in certain areas and they build for themselves. I get the impression that you build for others rather than do your own projects.
As a result they build and develop the site and obviously take all the profits.
We would have ZERO interest building for other people. No $$ is worth the headache. We, like the builders he works for would fund our own projects. Now that is where the profit is made. Stessful, yeah but not if you have a good team of tradies (as he does) and more importantly know what is going on.

In the current climate where trade shortages are competing with competitive resource industry incomes you could be as useful as as a monkey's uncle and still be offered plenty of work..being good at your trade or being a good builder has nothing to do with the stress I was referring to, although it does have something to do with getting return clients.

Again the only clients we would have would be the people for whom the hammer at the auction falls for. Oh and excellent tradies do get work and usually get looked after by the builder I know my boy and others that he knows do.

was that when you compare profit margins and risk, an astute developer gets a larger slice of the pie than the builder for the amount and duration of risk he takes. Probably explains why most builders consider their building work a stepping stone into development; purely provides the cashflow or equity needed as well as experience.

Again we are the builders and the developers. My boy does frame, lockup, fix, floors etc. His carpentry ABN will get paid, me the project manager or assistant or stay home mother or what ever job title I give myself gets a wage (all i would have to do is organise a few quotes etc). Pay the other trades (most at mates rates). We do however need to fund the project and thats where we both come into the picture.
Then it comes to selling the properties at auction. Who gets the money? We do. No in between person. All us (well the company).

From your post I would infer that your partner contracts to other builders/developers so he is not the one doing all the organizing and assuming all the responsibility; he is a contractor in this situation. When he is a licenced builder operating in his own right for himself, then your opinion may, and will change. You will soon find out that building for others involves alot more OH&S, contract law/management, customer service, communication and time management and isn't just about banging nails in!

No you have it wrong. We are yet to officially commence "building/developing". We are sourcing land in the certain areas where we would only develop in. It's all about planning and finding the right place to do this. I have yet to complete my PPOR. Once that is finished and we are settled then we'll commence. We are looking at a 12 month time frame to commence.That is the whole point in him getting his builders license so that he doesn't have to contract any of that to others (builders) who would eat away at profits. Again my partner is a "contractor". My partner works for the builders who are the developers.

I just assumed that only builders were able to develop. This came from the work that my boy did for the builders who were the developers.
I wouldn't be able to get a builders license let alone an unlimited one. My boy is the one who would be getting the unlimited license. I plan on being a stay home mum and getting a wage for doing nothing (other than having input on design and fittings) out of this company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFisher
Unfortunately I have to agree; building is a mugs game and very stressful!

Then Posted by Minx
"Unless your good at it of course. Not to blow my partners trumpet or anything but he constantly knocks back work and has never advertised."

Don't know where you have gotten this from.

Your reply to my initial post above is 'where I got it'. I affirmed a comment from Mark and mentioned that building is a mugs game and stressful and you replied with my quote highlighted "unless your good at it". I felt your inference was clear as you highlighted my one sentence post, made an assumption and backed it up with examples which are obviously lacking some experience.

I don't mind you offering an opinion, although the personal undertone wasn't expected, but rebutting the post of someone who knows what they are talking about is a little naive considering. As I don't usually make a comment without explaining it, I then offered you some reasons why your comment was incorrect based on my past experience as a builder, estimator, site supervisor and construction administrator, thats all, now you know why I replied the way I did.

I definately have no problem with what you intend to do. If you read my post it makes no mention, or criticism, of your future plans...go for it and good luck. I, along with everyone else, would only wish you the best.

Your reply to my initial post above is 'where I got it'. I affirmed a comment from Mark and mentioned that building is a mugs game and stressful and you replied with my quote highlighted "unless your good at it". I felt your inference was clear as you highlighted my one sentence post, made an assumption and backed it up with examples which are obviously lacking some experience.

I don't mind you offering an opinion, although the personal undertone wasn't expected, but rebutting the post of someone who knows what they are talking about is a little naive considering. As I don't usually make a comment without explaining it, I then offered you some reasons why your comment was incorrect based on my past experience as a builder, estimator, site supervisor and construction administrator, thats all, now you know why I replied the way I did.

I definately have no problem with what you intend to do. If you read my post it makes no mention, or criticism, of your future plans...go for it and good luck. I, along with everyone else, would only wish you the best.

Thank you for the well wishes. I think you took my post the wrong way.
I'm not going to get into it other than that I have met some not so stressed builders who make some serious cash.

I have seen some of the most skilled carpenters go broke as a builder as being a good builder is about being a good business operator, not much to do with craftsmanship, more about contracts and good paperwork skills. However building for yourself only will save a lot of hassles with contract and problem clients. The biggest problem in vic with being the builder (i am not a builder by the way) is that any problems within 6.5 years you may get called in to fix. The insurance system is a joke, it only covers the client if you die or disappear.

thats not just in vic mate..its australia wide..7 years! BUT its only for structural issues..not if say a kitchen floor tile popped out of place 6 years down the track etc..these items are subject to "wear and tear" . The old age saying about doing it right the first time cannot be mentioned enough when it comes to building..thats what builders SHOULD remember each day they go to work..or it will come back to haunt ya in years to come.
but youre right..being a builder is more about project managing and ensuring that you get things done quickly and efficiently as possible..and ensuring your paperwork is organised..i would never think about getting on the tools to save a buck when youve got hundreds of thousands of bucks tied in a project at anyone time..as they say ..time is money

In victoria they have a consumer affairs dept run by the building commission called BACV. The slightest defect the owner has a problem with, (even tiles popping of floor) they send an inspector around to assess the problem. The builder is requested to fix the problem and is also reported to the practitionars board. The builder is not required by law to fix it, but if he doesnt may have trouble getting his registration renewal. There is a mob called the builders colloective that are rallying the pollies to change the system

i know there are allowances for movement etc when it comes to building..it does not mean that if a cornice cracked in the corners that the builder has to come back and fix it..that is natural movement and is fine..if however you start to get diagonal cracks in walls thats a more serious even and would have to be looked into why..same thing with tiles popping off the floor..i beleive that if tiles popp off in less than 10% of an area that it is fine..anymore and that would need rectifying by the builder or it would have to be looked into as why..
just because things go wrong after the building is built doesnt necessarilly mean that the builder has to come and fix it..think of it this way..your putting a house on a virgin block of land that has never been used to that kind of load on it..the house WILL settle..no too ways about it..that is called settlement..when the houses settles at the same rate you wont get major cracking..but when one side settles more than the other you will get differential settling and thats when you get major cracks..
so there are allowances for movements and that sort of thing..just like timber doors..they are still subject to expansion and contraction..so somtimes doors wont close/open properly..but thats what timber does..get my drift..its not always the builders fault..
in any case the owner has the right to contact the local dept of fair trading IF they have no luck with sorting it out with the builder first..then they will send out an inspector to assess what kind of damage etc and whos to blame

The system is probably different here from Perth and BACV is new organisation. BACV do not enforce or consider the insurance policy and do not have much regard for its contents, for example insurance stating non-structural for 2 years and structural for the remaining period. A builder can and I have seen a few cases where the builder has been requested by BACV to fix matters of so called poor workmanship (like a door sticking), that are still BCA compliant. The stupid thing is it is legally non-binding anyway, if the builder refuses to fix it (which often happens) the owner needs to take them to an administrative tribunal. Check out the builders collective website for the crap since HIH's demise that builders go through for insurance that does nothing. Some mistakes just happen and you need to price that into the job and they can and will come back to bite you. I recently was talking to a person who was getting legal advice on suing on a builder of a house built 30 years ago that had a sag in the roof and a roof prop missing, they would have no hope but this is how some idiots think, the lawyers are the ones that make money out of this.

yeah your right about the lawyers who are the real winners..
the same rules apply in NSW too..my philosophy is "do the job right the first time" and dont take shortcuts

I would agree with Alex. Without big developments, you are not going to make the profit more than your paid job --- at this time of the market.

- buy and reno then sell to make $50k for each property ..... NOT that easy for a $400k property at this time of the market.
- buy a block for $100k put $200k house on it to sell $400k ---- maybe a dream at this time of the market.

I have done the renos and new building. It is not the case NOW, maybe 2 years ago.

I do not know whether to buy 2 blocks from a developer, and put two spec houses on it to sell ------ can be classified as "developer" ----- Certainly I do not think I am (I am building three spec houses)

Because you do not make money. You buy retail and sell at retail. The real developer is buying wholesale and selling retail. That is how you the developer should be and they can significantly manage the fluctuations of the market.

I buy blocks and put spec homes on it and make some capital gains --- purely because I bought the blocks when they were very cheap. I got a cottage bock and signed contract 2 years ago for $91k and settled last year. By the time of settlement, the market value was $200k. I put a spec home $140k. Now it completed. Interests and stamp duty etc - $15k. So the home is worth about $355k without floor covering, windowtreatment, painting etc. I put %10 as the margin (cover my inspection and travel so on and agent fee $10k) -- It was listed for $388k-$399k. I am not sure it can be sold. So through this excercise, over a year I may only make $20k if it sell at $388k. I have to pay capital gain so on... Is it worthwhile? if I have not done it, I would not do it again?

I again say the time is important. I make the money from the land in the first year.

what a day... picked up the mail and got the API magazine, read abit about how easy it is to be a developer. Then got a call from the builder of one of my res devys... pretty much saying that after the council consulting the neighbours for 3 weeks and them about to rubber stamp approval, directive just turns up from water corp and health dept saying no more approvals that aren't connected to ministers sewer (until now the use of biomax systems has been the norm). Enquiries with the water corp reveal they have no plans to extend the sewer in the next 5 years as they are out of funds (the WA govt must be really struggling right??), however i am welcome to cover the cost myself, estimated between $150k and $220k. So it's bight the bullet and shell up or take a loss and move on. Looks like I'll be getting more tax deductions than expected this year... who needs the joys of owning IPs when you have govt depts capable of costing of you this much??

worst outcome seems to be on the table. despite the council telling me prior to my purchase that they would support subdivision, they have now had a change of policy half way thru my application. So they have taken my substantial application fees and kindly told me that they won't approve the development.

hi Giulio Taranto
thats a very big understatement
if buying raw there are the biggest problem by any form of country mile.
and cost you heaps.
just this part of developing there is an industry and its the most costly part in any development in time, money and profit.

Back