Bed bugs or bird lice

Cant believe this, the old house we are house sitting isa nightmare. I have been stung by stinging nettles, had about 8 massive spiders inside (one after another) a swarm of bees nesting in the roof, down the chimneys and into the rooms I finally had to get the pest controller in for, swarms of blowflies down the chimney in the kitchen (there are 8 chimneys) I finally sealed it off with paper inside and put a pest control puffer inside) 3 huge leaks in the roof (we have fixed), one over my couch and the whole couch was sopping wet as it happened through the night) Probably other stuff I cant remember and just before christmas, 3 birds came down the chimney, long story short the 2 in the spare room flew madly around the room before we could get them out, leaving feathers etc. everywhere. I cleaned up the debris, then had xmas then we went away. I came back and started to strip the bed to wash sheets and there are crawlies in there. They are tinylong insect like things which squash very easily so are not fleas, I suspect bird lice but they do jump. I have tried to kill them all, but they are all over the sheets, the underbedding, the bed skirt and the doona. I havbe just sprayed everywhere (now feeling crawlie all over) We inherited this bed and I'm wondering it it could have had bed bugs in it, but more likely it was bird lice dropped from when the birds were flying around madly. Any ideas, will washing the bedding kill them, will the ones who have jumped off breed in the carpet, will leaving all the bedding on the line in the heat for the next 3 days kill anything left? Help??!!

All I can think of is buy a flea bomb (like a tin of flyspray but it empties itself) and get out of there while it does its thing.

I hear you on the flies though - we've tried to plug every gap in the house and we still get the tiny little ones in every freakin day. Better than blowflies but they just come sit on you, soooo annoying.

So why are you housesitting this place anyway?

Oh my goodness, that house sounds like a nightmare :eek:

I hate to tell you but I had bird lice many years ago and actually had to get the pest controller in to get rid of them.

Good luck:)

Got the whole bed back together again and went in 11.30 last night to check, and they are all there again. Thank goodness for partner as he got down on his hands and knees with torch and discovered they are coming out of a big hole in the wall where the plaster has fallen off. We have killed all we can see, sprayed like mad, left a bomb in there and shut the door, then I found one on me whilst having a shower. Have had nightmares all night about how this could spread. Am wondering if the rat we had in the roof, died up there and now there are things coming down from that. You are right about this house being a nightmare I feel the 7 plagues have been deluged upon us. Flies, bees, stinging nettles, rat, big spiders, birds, and now bugs. It is free rent and partner out of work and me retired so we have to hang in here for a while but I dont know......

Got the whole bed back together again and went in 11.30 last night to check, and they are all there again. Thank goodness for partner as he got down on his hands and knees with torch and discovered they are coming out of a big hole in the wall where the plaster has fallen off. We have killed all we can see, sprayed like mad, left a bomb in there and shut the door, then I found one on me whilst having a shower. Have had nightmares all night about how this could spread. Am wondering if the rat we had in the roof, died up there and now there are things coming down from that. You are right about this house being a nightmare I feel the 7 plagues have been deluged upon us. Flies, bees, stinging nettles, rat, big spiders, birds, and now bugs. It is free rent and partner out of work and me retired so we have to hang in here for a while but I dont know......
Maybe try Pure Eucalyptus Oil,mix with water and spray the entire room or other areas,i use it once a week and we have three dogs and never have a problem..willair..

Terrace house I lived in in Redfern had a bad attack of biting lice-like insects (could have been bird lice). I discovered everyone else in the same row of terraces was affected. They sort of moved in a wave from house to house.

Spent so much time washing sheets that I began to get a reaction from the detergeant. The lice had well and truly departed. The neighbours were no longer having problems with lice and I was still itching like crazy...until lady next door suggested I ease up on the washing.

Makes for weird dreams when you are being bitten by invisible bitey things or think you are.

I still dont know what these things are, under magnifying glass they have a hairy thorax and feelers and jump. More like an insect and they dont bite. Anyway, I am wearing them down and there are just a few each day now, I suspect hatching from already laid eggs. They were starting to appear in other rooms but I think they were coming through air vent and bathroom exhaust. I have sprayed two cans of flyspray so far and think I am winning

Back