Bees - help please!

I just walked out the front of our house to put some rubbish in the bin and have seen a huge swarm of bees around my security light.

There are some flying around but the front of the light is covered by what looks like a thousand bees.

Do I need to do anything. If so what? It's Sunday morning - I have no idea who to ring, if anyone.

I've never seen anything like it!

Council may have an AH number that you could call, who will know an apairist, that usually will collect them for free. If not you may find one in the phone book.:)

Definitely bees. We had a nest in a tree out the front - which they seem to have decided to vacate in favour of the security light.

I've looked on the council website which says to call a pest controller, but I don't want to kill them, just move them along. I'll have a look in the Yellow Pages for an apiarist and see if I can get someone out to move them tomorrow.

They seem to have stopped flying about now, and have just settled on the light. Mr Minx tells me they may even by gone by tomorrow, once they realise they haven't picked the best spot, so I'll just keep an eye on them.

Thanks, I just panicked when I saw so many of them all near the door. Mr Minx didn't seem in the least concerned when he got home from Bunnings.

We walk past one of those downpipe things that drains into the street gutter on the way to school ... it's FULL of bees, has been for weeks. That would have to take the cake for the stupidest place to set up a beehive, unless the drain is blocked, in which case it's still pretty stupid but not the worst :rolleyes:

If you could light a fire and get some smoke to blow over them they will move on to somewhere else. Chuck some green leaves and stuff on once the fire in alight?

See ya's.

Thank you Wombat. I'll give one of these contacts a call tomorrow - they should be able to point me in the right direction for the removal of the bees.

I certainly don't want to hurt them, but I would prefer they weren't so close to the front door.

They have been quite a talking point with lots of people commenting on them as they walk past on the way to the beach. The neighbours think it is most amusing!

The mass of bees is about 900mm in diameter and probably 150mm deep - quite amazing to see. This photo was taken while they were still gathering.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 118
Bees gone.

$165.00 and 5 minutes later. I know it was 5 minutes as that's how long I was at the shops, which unfortunately means I have no idea what he did, just got back to find a bill in the letter box.

Easy money - that is if he didn't get stung :D

i heard , that bees are dieing , and unless they come up witha solution, we will die out too!
after watching the BEE movie, i now know why,

We walk past one of those downpipe things that drains into the street gutter on the way to school ... it's FULL of bees, has been for weeks. That would have to take the cake for the stupidest place to set up a beehive, unless the drain is blocked, in which case it's still pretty stupid but not the worst :rolleyes:

stupid bees :mad:

bees love light

If you have the security light on at night the Bees will be attracted to it.
Try turning it off for a few nights and they might find another light source to be magnetised by.

Back