Bees

Sim

Administrator

Has anyone had to pay a pest control company to remove a swarm of bees from a property before ? Was just wondering how much it cost you.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1

Sim,

No, just don't get stung by the price.

And when they send you the bill, don't have a nasty reaction.

And if you can find someone who will do it cheap, that would be sweet of them :)

Michael G

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1.1

Sheesh MG... it was a serious question ! :p

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1A494.8A42C030
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"

We had an Apiarist around to deal with a load of bees, most wont take them
away, just douse them in a poisonous powder on-site. It was only $70 or
something like that.

Duncan.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1A494.8A42C030
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">

<TITLE>RE: Bees</TITLE>

We had an Apiarist around to deal with a load of =bees, most wont take them away, just douse them in a poisonous powder =on-site. It was only $70 or something like that.

Duncan.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1A494.8A42C030--

Reply: 2

Sim,

It must be something about where I live but bees love it! Both our neighbours had to get someone in within the last 3 years to get rid of the bees. Not sure what it cost them.

We also had them one year. I simply sprayed half a tin of flyspray on them and they were gone that day.......guess where? ......yes.....one of the above neighbours just happened to get their bees the day after I got rid of mine!

Reply: 2.1

Sim,

I had to have a huge hive of bees removed from an abandoned repo property I was selling a couple of years ago.

I rang the local apiarists association and asked them for the number of their nearest member. I rang him and he was only too happy to come and get the bees, hive and all, and remove the several smaller hives from trees around the yard.

Whilst it worked a treat (and cost me nothing)it was hilarious! The guy turned up in a mini minor (I am not kidding) and subdued the bees with smoke, he then lifted the hive into the back of the mini, and put the smoking-subduing-can on the passenger seat, got into the car (Which by this time was full of bees) and squirted some more smoke at them and drove off, out of the yard.

Funniest thing I saw for a long time...

I waved heartily, as he drove off, beez-a-buzzing in the car...

In any case it worked... Although I suggest you first check if they are sane...

asy :eek:)

There are no problems, only solutions which have not yet been discovered.

Reply: 2.1.1

My father is an apiarist, so finally there's a topic on which I am truly an expert :)

Unfortunately, many commercial apiarists are not interested in taking away bee swarms as they may contain diseases which can infect their own hives. They may however remove them if you offer to pay for the service.

Smaller hobbyists will be more interested in removing bee swarms for you and some will even pay you for it.

When my father is rung about bee swarms he give the person a number to call:

1902 241 059

Finally, if all else fails, go to your local hardware store or nursery and by a pest strip or a bug bomb. They usually work fairly well although don't be near the bees when it goes off!

PT_Bear

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Thanks for all the responses... I did notice though that only one of you actually answered my question - how much it cost to pay a pest control company to remove them.

Swarm on the back veranda of one of my properties... usually I would just let them go - in my experience they usually move on within a couple of hours (if not, then time for more drastic measures).

However, the bees were getting inside, and the tenants in this property have a 6 month old baby - so I thought it best to move the bees promptly.

I was a little concerned with how much they charged me - think I might have to have a quiet word to my property manager about their "inhouse" tradespeople.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Hi Sim,

I concur with Duncan. I had a nice swarm on my Rosemary bush in the front yard. Called in a guy - seem to remember it costing over $50 - but definitely under $100.

Kylie

Back