Before and After Kitchen- Finally!

For those of you who contributed to my post some time ago about updating the kitchen- thought I'd finally post a few pics up of the Before and After for your interest. Was very pleased with the end result (especially the pressed tin metal feature under the island) and have definitely added value to the PPOR with this one :)

Also a HUGE shout out to Richard from Dream Style kitchens for making it all come to reality, within budget and with his usual perfectionist style!

IMG_0009.jpg BEFORE

DSC_2667.jpg AND AFTER

DSC_2684.jpg

What a difference! I'd love to know whether you used the carcasses and had new doors made, or is it a complete "start again"? And is it just the angle of the original photo, or is the new island bench longer than the original one?

I'd love to know what this cost, but understand you may not want to share that much information.

When we've done our bathroom, I'd love to do something with our kitchen.

The easiest thing for us to do would be to just change the doors and drawers. They get so dirty so quickly due to us doing a "1930s" style kitchen with bars between each drawer. These catch dirt easily or any spills and I wish now we had chosen differently... live and learn :).

I sometimes sit quietly and try to picture I've just bought the house and what do I want to do to make it better. Each scenario makes some things work better, but has enough downside (or means losing so much storage) that it is easiest to do nothing but change the doors and draw fronts to a colour that hides the general daily wear and tear.

What a difference! I'd love to know whether you used the carcasses and had new doors made, or is it a complete "start again"? And is it just the angle of the original photo, or is the new island bench longer than the original one?

Hey Wylie- it was a start again project unfortunately. I did consider keeping carcasses and even painting the timber cupboards but by the time the costings came in (and I found a cabinetmaker willing to construct the other cupboard housing the fridge etc [out of picture] it was easier to begin anew.

New bench is much bigger. The old one was a freestanding unit from Everyday Living and so was salvageable. It also helped that I ended up getting over $2K for the old kitchen to help with costs but suffice to say, it wasn't cheap - it is our PPOR after all :)

I know what you mean about looking at your PPOR with new eyes- it gets harder the longer you live in a place but I have found in the past it helps to get family and friends through as "inspectors" to see what they notice first. Happy renovating!

Looks amazing.

It's inspiring stuff - we're about to embark on a major reno of our PPOR. The kitchen looks very similar to the one we have in mind.

Cheers

Jamie

any chance you could tell us how much it cost you, given that there is a "is this kitchen worth $30k" that looks very similar?

Thanks guys. Total cost was around the $35K mark but it is a large kitchen- what you don't see out of shot is another wall of cabinetry approx 3.5mw x 2.8m h with our fridge, microwave other cupboards. Benchtop is mitred edge granite and soft close drawers. Integrated bin, dishwasher, heavy duty drawers, undermount rangehood, bevelled glass doors, underlights (strip lighting for island) etc. In our area and for our home these are $$$ that are well spent and will be re-couped when we eventually sell. I am one for doing my homework, after all :D

The biggest choice was actually the splashback, as our original design (see our actual concept plan drawing here on Dan Kitchens website http://www.dankitchens.com.au/kitchen_design.html ) had tiles, keeping in with the country theme, and bullnose benches but further research revealed that both are too hard to keep clean and I simply chose glass for functionality over tiles. Though our house is country, and this kitchen is definitely more modern, I believe I retained enough features to keep it classic looking. Very pleased with the granite (though it's not for everyone) as it brings warmth to the room as well.

Jacque,
I remembered loving your kitchen and when we found a possible new PPOR for us on the weekend but HATED it's kitchen I had to find your's again to see the detail.
It's still as pretty as ever. The house we have our eye on is OTT country style - a lot of mouldings, tri coloured walls, country kitchen. The bones are there but it's too frou frou for me.

image22.jpg

I'm trying to imagine it painted all one colour, no swag curtain (I like plantation shutters) and something like your kitchen.
Thanks again for sharing your kitchen.

Back