Bendigo For First Ip???

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum, but I have been looking at threads for about a month now. Looks like a great friendly community full of knowledge.

I’m looking at getting my first IP in Bendigo area and just wanted to get peoples thoughts. I have looked at Bendigo as the Capital Growth has been decent over the last 10 years and the rental market is quite tight from the numbers that I have seen (Is this correct?). I am looking for some thing that is CF+ or neutral, and that will grow in Capital by around 10% per year (will I get this growth in this area?), is it possible to find some thing in Bendigo like this? If so how would I go finding one because so far I have had trouble find one that will fit my criteria on realestate.com.au.

MY LOCATION CRITERIA:

PRICE: 200K -300K
CAPITAL GROWTH: 10% + per year
RENTAL YEILD: C/F+ or Close to Neutral
Low Vacancy % - high demand for rentals in area

I’m looking at buying a IP each year for the next 4 years. Would 20% deposit be enough for the finance on each one? Could you guys let me know of any other areas that would fit my criteria.

Thanks for the help in advance

Blake

Hi Blake,

Welcome to the forum.

Your location criteria is very stringent. It would take considerable analysis and even more luck to tick all those after 12 months. Of course it's still possible. API magazine has suburb profiles of the best CG suburbs. Have you had a look at that?

If you have the income and borrowing power to buy 1 a year, then go for it. 20% deposit is plenty. Although most here will suggest 10% + LMI + Cash offset.

Good luck ;)

Do you think that bbendigo will fit this Criteria? I want to find an are the is growing by at least 10% per year, are there any other areas in VIC that you would recommend???

Hi Blake,

Welcome to the forum.

Your location criteria is very stringent. It would take considerable analysis and even more luck to tick all those after 12 months. Of course it's still possible. API magazine has suburb profiles of the best CG suburbs. Have you had a look at that?

If you have the income and borrowing power to buy 1 a year, then go for it. 20% deposit is plenty. Although most here will suggest 10% + LMI + Cash offset.

Good luck ;)

come on guys, does any one have any advice on this???
:confused:

You already were given it! :D Your Investment Property magazine also has these data tables at the end. You can also check the REIV website for 5 year price graphs.

Dude, if people could find a property that has guaranteed 10% return, positive cash flow, low vacancy and for only 200k, why would they tell you? That would be tantamount to grabbing $100,000 from the bank and putting it out on the front porch

G'day Blake and welcome...I've looked at your post and been thinking about an appropriate response, it's not that easy for me..but I'll have a crack, please see below:
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum, but I have been looking at threads for about a month now. Looks like a great friendly community full of knowledge.

I’m looking at getting my first IP in Bendigo area and just wanted to get peoples thoughts.

Good for you, my first IP was in Bendigo.

I have looked at Bendigo as the Capital Growth has been decent over the last 10 years and the rental market is quite tight from the numbers that I have seen (Is this correct?).

Historically Bendigo has averaged around the 9 to 10 and in some areas...the 11% growth p/a as according to Victorian Valuer General statistics, it is comparable to Ballarat. When I built my first IP there I had no idea of what capital growth even was, or an average growth p/a, I just knew the area, had lived there, had seen it prosper and diversify, spread out and seemed to be a strong enough entity as one of Victoria's major regional cities. I noticed there seemed to be an opportunity to still buy land at a price that I thought at the time 'good value'. I thought a stiff increase in land block prices was on the cards, I knew two new schools were about to be built where I was eyeing off land, close to the cbd, facilities...all that fuzzy stuff that makes an investor curl their toes in anticipation..:p

So I bought a block, (then another) within 12 months it had almost trebled in value, but I also built on them very quickly. So as not to just have parcels of land, but assets that were bringing me in $$$ to help with their mortgages

I am looking for some thing that is CF+ or neutral, and that will grow in Capital by around 10% per year (will I get this growth in this area?), is it possible to find some thing in Bendigo like this?

This is...(almost?) impossible for me to answer you. I can only share information and my story about what I did there, anything else is my opinion and everyone has an opinion, they are a little like rectums? I mean that respectfully, historically Bendigo has averaged 9, 10, some places 11% growth over the last couple of decades...I personally don't see anything changing, but to point to any specific property and say...A, B or C will happen would be foolish of me, no help to you.

All I can say is from the knowledge and research I have about/on bendigo, I am happy, delighted to have some IP's there, over a 'short' time frame of 8 years they increased in value. BUT I also bought well at the time and feel I got a couple of good deals.

I would also like to add over the time I have had IP's in Bendigo I have had no difficulties in renting them out..it is my understanding from others around the area, both renters, owners and investors rental properties are rented relatively quickly, that has been my experience.

If so how would I go finding one because so far I have had trouble find one that will fit my criteria on realestate.com.au.

Sometimes things just don't land in our laps, sometimes we can create good buys, sometimes buying something other buyers (for whatever reason) pass over, but we might see we can value add something, eg a carport, a tidy up, a paint job, refurbishing, something to boost the returns as much as we can for least outlay possible.

Investing is a varied beast, one person's catch and set up is not always the same as anothers. I've never looked at investing and said what I cannot find, it's been more how can I turn that into a win/win, something that will be good buying, a good deal..

MY LOCATION CRITERIA:

PRICE: 200K -300K
CAPITAL GROWTH: 10% + per year
RENTAL YEILD: C/F+ or Close to Neutral
Low Vacancy % - high demand for rentals in area

Again with all respect, and this is only my take on this, someone else may have another view or different perspective, I am more a ..'get an idea of my budget-buying threshold'

Get Going, Get Creative and Get your Best Return possible on that IP so as I can shape back up to my mortgage broker and say lets do it again!

Bendigo was a good hunting ground, I am also (only my perspective) finding Horsham, Victoria another good hunting ground, but I work at creating, obtaining best deals possible.. and I do a lot of research. Then capitalise on it. I have not had any difficulties renting my IP's in any of the places I buy, usually while I have one hand on the contract of sale I have one hand on my phone organising a corporation or company or someone to rent the place for premium rent. If that makes sense, I am a networker, a negotiator, a rat up the drainpipe of opportunity.

I’m looking at buying a IP each year for the next 4 years. Would 20% deposit be enough for the finance on each one? Could you guys let me know of any other areas that would fit my criteria.

I have bought with little money in the deal and also with 20% deposits...I'm not sure I can quanitfy another aspiring investor's position on this.

Thanks for the help in advance

So glad you are contemplating IP's, hope it all goes well! I'm not sure I'm any help but anyway, it's sharing a bit of experiences..:)

Blake

Thanks our obsession that was what i was after, i was just making sure that i am looking in the right area for the results i was after and wanted a bit of confirmation that it is possible.

Belu, you itdiot! If you dont have any thing positive to say dont say it at all. By the way i wasnt looking for a free ride i have done quite a bit of reasearch on the area and just want to make sure that my findings were along the right lines as this is my first IP.

Thanks to the others who also left helpful info :)

Blake

Hi Blake,

Welcome!

I've heard some good things about Castlemaine too. Something about a train line going to Melb...sorry I can't remember the specifics.

Have a look at all the regional areas & ultimately, go with your gut feel b/c no-one can tell you where to put your hard-earned cash.

Use the stats available in API as suggested by other posters & do a search of 'bendigo' on here to see what others have to say about it.

Good luck...we all have to start somewhere :)

Thanks our obsession that was what i was after, i was just making sure that i am looking in the right area for the results i was after and wanted a bit of confirmation that it is possible.

Belu, you itdiot! If you dont have any thing positive to say dont say it at all. By the way i wasnt looking for a free ride i have done quite a bit of reasearch on the area and just want to make sure that my findings were along the right lines as this is my first IP.

Thanks to the others who also left helpful info :)

Blake

You're welcome.

i have just bought a property in north bendigo at 6.6% gross.

with 110% lend, it cost $3200/year to hold after tax. interest is 3 year fixed. would have been $2000/year to hold if 80% lend.

rental is tight you are right, lots of tenants at the moment.

hope that helps

Hi Blake, not sure if you have found a property yet or not but here is one in Bendigo you may be interested in, if not that is fine but you did ask for some deals so thought I would give you one. http://assetz.com.au/property_search.php Just outside your strict criteria but very close.
Happy to help you find something to suit you if this one does not, all the best.

hi blake, i brought my first IP there earlier this year and looking at buying another couple very soon. they are -ive geared at the moment but in a few years n with a tickle up they should be +ive or at the least neutral.

I give you the heads up on where not to buy if you buy a IP here. Kangaroo Flat. Thats quickly turning into the new ghetto of Bendigo.

Eaglehawk and Long Gully were and still are pretty trashy but they are picking up a bit and if you are lucky you can find some bargains in those suburbs. Eaglehawk is only a 5 min drive to the CBD.

If you want to go out a bit further, look into Huntly. There is going to be a lot of building going on out there in the coming years.

Hi Jonesy, Blake and anyone else interested in Bendigo,
I'm about to put a property on the market in Bendigo that I've held for many years. Its a basic 3bedrm brick house and rents out at $200 per week. I'm looking to clear $200K (so will need to sell for around $207K if going thru agent). If you are interested touch base.
Meg

Hi,

I have decided i want to make some money and heard residential property is the easy way to do this.

I dont want to do any work, but heard the government mention Bendigo a bit and thought why not? Can someone here please show me where I can put some money - not go through any cashflow issues and make 10% compounding for the next 20 years please? I will make it worth your effort - kudos will be given freely!

So comeon! Where are the answers? I thought by the time i had finished typing this there would have been at least 20 properties sent to me that fit my criteria.

Still nothing? Gee thanks guys...

10% x 20yrs , people aren't gonna give those away for a kudos , who cares about a kudos .
Tell ya what , I'll give you one whereby you can create 20-30% x 20 but I want 30% of that on auto . PM me if your interested .
PS , but I'd be a little suss of Bendigo over the long term.

Cheers

Love Bendigo

Hello,

I bought my first IP in Bendigo just under 3 years ago and it has increased 7-8% per year and I currently have it positively geared.
Bendigo has 3 things really going for it, the Bendigo Bank, the university and the hospital. There is no shortage of tenants and if you get a really good local real estate agent you will be fine as they can filter out the 'crap' - I can reccomend someone if need be.
When the time is right I would not hesitate to purchase in Bendigo again as it is a very safe secure investment.
Suburbs I would reccomend 'Strathdale, Inner Bendigo, Flora Hill, Kensington'

Back