Best bank for resi construction loan? ANZ or Homeside?

Hi guys,
So I am getting close to purchasing my first IP/duplex development project and a about to go for pre approval.

Given my maximum borrowing power is pretty close to the amount I will need during the height of the construction phase, my mortgage broker has suggested it is a good idea to see which banks will lend me the most for the construction stage (on top of my IP loan), and then from that list see which is the best for the initial IP loan stage.

It has pretty much come down to ANZ or Homeside on cost alone (with Homeside slightly better), but I am wondering: does anyone have experience with using either of these banks for residential construction loans? Is there much difference (ease of generating progress payments, etc)? Any other banks known as the 'best' or 'worst' for this sort of thing?

Any other general thoughts on what I should look out for will be much appreciated too.

Many thanks!

Have had a contruction loan for a duplex build not long ago with HSL, pretty simple and easy.

However, shouldn't your broker be explaining all this to you and advising/choosing the best option for you, based on who is best to deal with?

I did similar with Westpac recently and received really crappy service with long delays. It took 3 months from application, to my builder receiving his first payment.

My personal experience with ANZ for slightly larger sites of 5-6 townhouses has been great. They are particularly good for developments that have a high profit margin, as they will fund based on GRV, rather than development cost.

NAB are really bad for larger sites, they won't even consider GRV and only do 70% of development cost. Not sure what they are like for a duplex, but if you are planning to eventually do larger sites, I would suggest building a working relationship with ANZ ahead of NAB / Homeside anyday!

Given my maximum borrowing power is pretty close to the amount I will need during the height of the construction phase, my mortgage broker has suggested it is a good idea to see which banks will lend me the most for the construction stage (on top of my IP loan), and then from that list see which is the best for the initial IP loan stage.

Hi Perth

That logic is the exact opposite of what I would do assuming you wanted to grow your investment portfolio in the future

Use the lowest serviceability lender you can squeeek it through and retain the use of the higher ser lenders till later

On that basis ANZ is the best fit

ta
rolf

ta

rolf

Depends on LVR. ANZ max is 70% for anything with two or more dwellings on a title. Homeside 95%.

ps if your broker didnt know that re ANZ G.A.B. (get another broker).

Hi Perth

That logic is the exact opposite of what I would do assuming you wanted to grow your investment portfolio in the future

Use the lowest serviceability lender you can squeeek it through and retain the use of the higher ser lenders till later

On that basis ANZ is the best fit

ta
rolf

ta

rolf

Cheers Rolf,
I certainly agree with 'going with the tightest lender first' as a general portfolio building strategy, however in this case I think I am going to be close to my limit on my FIRST project! So it is only the 'most generous' lenders who really allow me to do what I want.

Truth be told, I have a reasonable cash position (but low income, hence my borrowing capacity issues) and could get by with a smaller loan by topping up the rest myself, but my preference is to get the max loan I can, leaving me able to use my cash in an offset account, and therefore have as little cash as possible tied up in the project.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Ace & Marty: Indeed, my broker should be providing me with this advice, and he certainly has been giving me his opinion about who not to go with (amongst other things), but I guess I always like a second opinion on a decision as major as this (yep, first time analysis paralysis!), and whilst he is a good broker, nothing beats the combined opinions of SS forumites (if you will excuse my brown-nosing)!

Depends on LVR. ANZ max is 70% for anything with two or more dwellings on a title. Homeside 95%.

I will only be looking to construct one dwelling (I plan on retaining the other). I was under the impression that most banks were around 80% LVR for this, and my broker hasn't suggested otherwise, so thanks for raising - I will definitely question him on this one.

I will only be looking to construct one dwelling (I plan on retaining the other). I was under the impression that most banks were around 80% LVR for this, and my broker hasn't suggested otherwise, so thanks for raising - I will definitely question him on this one.

80% is easier but you can go above it if need be.

In terms of service for actually getting the progress payments completed, both ANZ and HSL use difference processes, but I'd say the service levels are comparible. Both of them do this reasonably well (it hasn't always been the case but things have improved with both lenders).

Given it's your first project, there's probably not much difference in the two lenders for servicing at this point. The same would be said if you want to increase the loan to access equity on completion. For additional IP purchases, the HSL affordability calculator is clearly more generous than ANZs.

As using the lower servicing lenders first, there's good logic to this. Before being certain of this however I'd want to make sure that the lower servicing lender will suit the goals of this project, plus what you intend to do with the property immeidately after the project is completed. You may need to increase your lending via a top-up post-completion if you're to move onto another project. I wouldn't recommend a lender who isn't able to do this. You need to finance this property with the next step in mind.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys - really appreciated.

Looks like I am going to go with Homeside: best rate/fees/package, generous affordability calculation (required for me to get my construction loan approved) and sounds like they offer decent service.

Cheers for the input.

Service is fine in getting the deal approved but as long as dont need loan documents or settlement in the same month you should be fine.

ANZ construction loan vs homeside- which bank is better

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys - really appreciated.

Looks like I am going to go with Homeside: best rate/fees/package, generous affordability calculation (required for me to get my construction loan approved) and sounds like they offer decent service.

Cheers for the input.

Hi Perth,

We are going to build a duplex in Sydney soon and need a construction loan. Just wondering if if you were with Homeside and would like to know if their service is good? Thank you.

HSL have really picked up their game in the past 3 months or so. As Rolf said 24 hour turnaround (48 hours if LMI involved) and docs issued promptly after.

I just had a construction loan approved for a forum member client today with ANZ. It was very painless and documents have been produced already - on the same day as the approval.

Homeside will go to 95% sub 1Mill up to three units.

They also appoint a 'case manager' meaning the broker deals with one person all the way through to completion.

I also have been receiving above average service from Homeside but have also fixed up a few bank stuff ups pre and post approval as well.

Make sure your broker/you checks the loan docs for correct interest rate and structure as they can get this wrong at times. Also get your broker to request a better rate than what is carded as they are negotiable on this.

I have even been invited to two lunches at posh restaurants in the last few months so must be on their radar :cool:

I just had a construction loan approved for a forum member client today with ANZ. It was very painless and documents have been produced already - on the same day as the approval.

Also had some decent experiences with ANZ.

I don't think they are as bad as Rolf makes out :p

But maybe haven't been dealing with them as long as he has so might have to check back in ten years on that!

Back