Best + Cash Flow areas?

The prospect of gains in places like Gladdy are tempting, seeing what happened in Karratha.

However the risk is certainly there. I would not want to be geared into mining town property if China were to trip and fall.

Gladstone South and West are just suburbs, they are actually both very central. My recent purchase was in South Gladstone. It is zoned high density.

Parts of West Gladstone seem to have good views over the city and water and seem reasonably priced.

I see Gladstone as a very low risk area compared to most. It has greater diversity, isn't only a mining town and prices are still reasonable. The risks are far higher in small town locations like Moranbah and Port Hedland that you could lose a bundle.

I've just purchased cash flow positive in Chinchilla. Brand new property in one of the boom economies of Australia. The gas that is being piped to Gladstone comes from the Surat Basin in which Chinchilla is right in the middle of.

Have visited Chinchilla twice recently and am amazed at what is going on in this town.

Gladstone is a low risk, no brainer with all the projects going on there. May not be positive cashflow yet but it will be real soon.

You can get 6-7% yields in tasmania. Launceston, Glenorchy, New Norfolk, Rokeby / Clarendon Vale. All have good long term history of 12-15% over last 10 yrs.

We have 3 in Clarendon Vale $160-$180k all renting for $250 per week. Vacancy rate is under 1% for this area also.

I have just started doing some research in Gladstone. I am in WA and was wondering if anyone else not in the QLD had used a buyers agent or knows of a couple of good REA to have a chat too about investing in the area.

I note there is South and West Gladstone, do people have an opion on these nearby areas in terms of growth etc.

Thanks.

I was told to stick with west and south gladstone, i got mine in west gladstone, just in behind the hospital :)

I'm from interstate also and used an agent to help me source a property as they can share commissions on listings. I used Scott Blazely from Remax. Was real helpful and friendly, used to always send through pics and vids of properties i was keen on...

...and heading bit further south, Victoria specifically, Horsham, Bendigo cities, keeping in mind it's been about "buying well"...adding value. Knowing an area, researching/networking...for me it's not necessarily, "I'm here, therefore I have ..(+ cash flow)", it's probably been, more; "I'm here, I know it down to it's knickers, what can I do to create my best possible + cash flow."

Sort of.

In a..."it's not falling into my lap kind of way"- more, "working my sweet butt off in a fun and enjoyable process of creativity and lateral thinking". (And the other->) But end line, as always, the figures, the deal must stack up.

INVESTAR program

I've just returned from doing Dympna Boholt's property sucess weekend program. A guy there was demonstrating the INVESTAR software package. It's pretty cool. You can put "corner block" into the seach for example and it will pull up all of those properties for you. Likewise you can narrow the search to ROI 10%+ or vendor finance or renovators dream, etc....the program finds all of the relevant properties for you. It does cost though....$79 per month. If you're time poor, may be a good option for you :) Jan

The deals are out there.

I would only buy with a solid infrastructure.

I have bought off the shelf properties for 20% yeilds easy with massive % CG straight away.

Have got over 10% in sydney of late and upto 134% in regional with renovations.

They are out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a "heads up", from the forum there seems to be no link back to your website, and the address in your sig is not clickable.
Many forums have provision for ad banners, you may just need to make a banner ad (just a pic with a logo) and use that, I'd suggest.

Thanks Piston,

The main site is under "full renovation" at present, and will be back shortly it will be a full resource centre.

I dont like ads on sites, as they cheapen it. It would help out with costs, but have decided against it at this point.

oh no dont put ads, your right.
What i meant is make a banner for your own website and put on the forum so people can "single click" their way back to binvested.com.au cause there's no link from the forum to the website.
So the only banner that appears is your own (in the top box). The "banner ad" section of the forum admin just makes it easy to upload a pic (banner) and type in your home url.

One or many.

I have always wondered is it better to have one wealthier property say $600,000 and you pay the difference in mortgage to rent which is heavily neutral geared. Or is it better to have lots of cheapies which presumably are positive geared and then have to pay all the expenses that go with so many properties. I suppose finding a balence between the two goes along way.

For FHBs 600k it may be a little out of their reach.
The "cheapies" are easier to buy & hold if you buy well.
I would'nt assume they are all CF+, many ain't.
So you still have to do your homework & research.
And eventually their CF+ will pay for the blue chips.
Of course if your on >200k OTE it may be a different matter.
Though I would'nt exclude the option of buying a <300k IP
every ~6mths for a cashflow strategy.

I have always wondered is it better to have one wealthier property say $600,000 and you pay the difference in mortgage to rent which is heavily neutral geared. Or is it better to have lots of cheapies which presumably are positive geared and then have to pay all the expenses that go with so many properties. I suppose finding a balence between the two goes along way.

One thing to think about, as you are pondering the question, is that once you build a property empire, it does take some effort to manage the PM's, or even for that matter pay all the bills, expenses, monitor rental statements, undergo insurance and PM reviews, etc, etc.

With less properties of higher valued (good growth potential) properties, I would have less problems with keeping up with the accounting / business side of things.

I may need to take note of my advice sooner than later.:)

F

Back