Best free credit card for earning rewards

ANZ Platinum rewards - possibly the best one I've seen so far.

50,000 reward points and no annual fee for the first year. Reward points can be converted directly back into credit, or as cash into an ANZ account. The exchange rate isn't great, but the earning rate is fantastic - 3 points per doller on AMEX and 1.5 points per dollar on Visa.

Basically, it amounts to a 1.5% discount on all purchases on AMEX and 0.75% discount on all other purchases.

The annual fee is actually not too bad ($149), but I'd still cancel the card before then, unless I can manage to get the fee waived.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy a healthy discount on my council rates (0.75%) and water rates (1.5%) as well as practically everything else. If you factor in tax deductibility of expenses, the discount is actually higher.

My Platinum Edge card is still better when shopping at major grocery outlets (2.5% discount) and petrol (1.7% discount), but this ANZ card is better everywhere else.

I believe you can get this card free with a mortgage as well.

ANZ Platinum rewards - possibly the best one I've seen so far.

50,000 reward points and no annual fee for the first year. Reward points can be converted directly back into credit, or as cash into an ANZ account. The exchange rate isn't great, but the earning rate is fantastic - 3 points per doller on AMEX and 1.5 points per dollar on Visa.

Basically, it amounts to a 1.5% discount on all purchases on AMEX and 0.75% discount on all other purchases.

The annual fee is actually not too bad ($149), but I'd still cancel the card before then, unless I can manage to get the fee waived.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy a healthy discount on my council rates (0.75%) and water rates (1.5%) as well as practically everything else. If you factor in tax deductibility of expenses, the discount is actually higher.

My Platinum Edge card is still better when shopping at major grocery outlets (2.5% discount) and petrol (1.7% discount), but this ANZ card is better everywhere else.

I believe you can get this card free with a mortgage as well.

Hmmm, I have a few no frill loans with anz, does that mean I get it too??

Hmmm, I have a few no frill loans with anz, does that mean I get it too??

Not sure about no frills loan - I think you might need to be on one of their packages? But it says you get the annual fee of one credit card waived, so you should at least ask.

This card might be my favourite - the platinum edge is still better on groceries and petrol, but everywhere else this one is king! (not to mention that it comes with a Visa so you can always use it)

ANZ Platinum rewards

Just got one, you get an AMEX and a Visa card. Additional to the reward points you get free travel insurance if you pay >$250 of your trip on one of the cards. The coverage for travel insurance looked just as good as a quote (for $340) that we got when we booked the trip.

AMEX generates 3 points per $1 and 1.5 for the Visa as was detailed in an earlier post

I highly recommend heading to the Australian Frequent Flyer website for anyone who wants to learn more about maximizing rewards points. I started collecting points a few years ago and it's been fantastic, the best so far has been a trip on Singapore Airlines to Paris in First Class Suites for a grand total of $408 in taxes :D

Back