Best free credit card for earning rewards

Yeah it's the same card - free return domestic flight every year, annual fee of $149 (I think its higher now - but once you get the card, the fee is fixed in perpetuity)

That's a great deal, I was under the impression he was paying around $1200 annual fee. Will definitely look at switching my business card to them.

Im not following, CBA don't do Qantas points.

oh, you can opt to transfer your points from the CBA points (True awards or whatever they are called) to QFF, its 2:1 (unless things have changed)

so $1 gets your 3 CBA points on your amex, but when you convert it to Qantas points, it becomes 1.5

ive done a quick comparison, Qantas vs CBA points, its roughly the same for larger point transactions.

I only use it for travel, so I think you need 186,000 CBA points to get a $1000 flight center voucher, so spending $62,000 on the amex ,

thats the comparison I make, and try to adjust

I currently have the AMEX Platinum Reserve card on the Ascent scheme. Although I get the free domestic flight, I'm gutted that I can't transfer my points in to QFF

I just want a MC that gives $1 per point.Not interested in FFP's and have no need.

No fees,long interest free period etc.

Gotta keep searching.

Last edited:
Citibank Signature VISA.

1 Qantas point per dollar, so no need to use an AMEX (although AMEX does give more if used overseas or on flights).

When I got it the deal was to choose either no annual fee for life, or 40,000 Qantas points on signup. Chose the no fee for life.
Minimum income $75k

Current promotion they have is 60,000 Qantas points. You do have annual fee but it says it's reduced to 299 for life.

60k points is a free flight, so it's worth it to take it and if you don't get the benefits cut it up later before paying more annual fees.

Best part for me who eats out alot - free bottle of wine in heaps of restaurants! Restaurant has to be on the list, but you get to choose either red or white, and most of them are in the range of $35-$45 bottles. Not that useful if you live outside capital city, but pretty good if you live in Sydney/Melbourne and pick restaurants from the list.

The problem I have with AMEX is that most stores charge a surplus fee whereas they don't for Visa and Mastercard. I don't know what the cost/benefit analysis is, but this should also be considered.

What do you guys use your reward points on?

How can you get free flights? I have not yet heard of this?

We have a Westpac mastercard with Amex attached. We pay for the wealth package so "technically" the cards are free. I get 1 point per dollar spent on mastercard and 3 points per dollar spent on Amex.

I've never linked it to get flights, but last year we cashed in our points and used them at the Myer sale to get a 65 inch LED tv. I let the points mount up and will buy something "big" when I need it, e.g. appliances.

Citibank Signature VISA.

1 Qantas point per dollar, so no need to use an AMEX (although AMEX does give more if used overseas or on flights).

When I got it the deal was to choose either no annual fee for life, or 40,000 Qantas points on signup. Chose the no fee for life.
Minimum income $75k

Current promotion they have is 60,000 Qantas points. You do have annual fee but it says it's reduced to 299 for life.

60k points is a free flight, so it's worth it to take it and if you don't get the benefits cut it up later before paying more annual fees.

Best part for me who eats out alot - free bottle of wine in heaps of restaurants! Restaurant has to be on the list, but you get to choose either red or white, and most of them are in the range of $35-$45 bottles. Not that useful if you live outside capital city, but pretty good if you live in Sydney/Melbourne and pick restaurants from the list.

Only interested in free cards - besides, I already get a free return flight every year on my AMEX.

The problem I have with AMEX is that most stores charge a surplus fee whereas they don't for Visa and Mastercard. I don't know what the cost/benefit analysis is, but this should also be considered.

Oh I'd never pay a surcharge just to earn the points! That is just plain silly.

I use the AMEX wherever it is accepted and wherever there is no surcharge. Otherwise I use my Mastercard. The issue is that I still need to use my Mastercard probably 25-50% of the time - it would be nice to be able to earn points on this as well.

Oh I'd never pay a surcharge just to earn the points! That is just plain silly.

I use the AMEX wherever it is accepted and wherever there is no surcharge. Otherwise I use my Mastercard. The issue is that I still need to use my Mastercard probably 25-50% of the time - it would be nice to be able to earn points on this as well.

I personally wouldnt either, but I know heaps of people who take advantage of ato's (hidden) pay your tax by cc service,

the fees are amazingly low, its something like 0.8% surcharge for amex, which the people I know value it more then 0.8% so they go nuts on the ATO website

im just a tight wad that never pays a surcharge for anything

Offer ends 31st july 2014 :(

Damn!

That is exactly what I was looking for as well. Actually, after looking at the rewards program though, it is a pretty poor conversion rate for points.

Oh well, I have just signed up for the ANZ card with 50,000 bonus points (free annual fee for the first year).

So I basically have a year to find something..

In general, small business charge a surcharge to the cardholder (local cafe, baker, etc) whereas big businesses will pass it on to all consumers and not the individual cardholder (Woolworths, Coles, petrol stations, Bunnings, etc).

I find 90% of transactions are surcharge free.

Who do you have the AMEX through? I have an AMEX through both CBA and NAB and they both provide either a MasterCard or VISA with the AMEX for free.

I have this thru Westpac ... the AMEX and MasterCard are linked so I get rewards for both, but the AMEX rewards points are higher so I use that wherever I can.

Back