Best Melbourne Suburbs to live (disregarding price)

Just a curiosity/opinion thread - not investing...which in your opinion is the best place to live in Melbourne?

I've rented through my fair share of suburbs during my 20s...surprisingly, I've never quite liked Toorak/Hawthorn. If anything, my ultimate suburb was Ashburton....Lived there for 2.5 years for last year of (Deakin) University and 1.5 yrs of work.

+ve:

1. TRANSPORT! Two accessible lines - Alamein and Glen Waverley. If the trains were cancelled, caught bus to Glen Iris where I caught the tram into CBD. Alamein line was pure bliss too, shortest Melbourne line with hardly anyone on it.

Alternatively, I could catch the Vermont South tram, hop off the stop at Lithgow Street and catch the train from Burwood Station.

That plus all in zone one.

Damn pure convenience. Period.

2. Convenience - proximity to CBD. For summer months, I would even ride to work into the CBD (when still working down St. Kilda Road). Took about 30 mins give or take 5 mins. That plus the bike tracks to the Eastern Suburbs and Glen Waverley for the occasional Asian take out meal.

3. Shops: The gf (at the time, now mrs) always went Chadstone and the lil shopping strip in Ashburton town.

- ves:

1. Not as green as other surrounding suburbs.

2. Had a bit of a commission housing problem back then....

if budget wasnt a concern, you wouldnt live in outer eastern suburbs, such as glen waverly!

youd stick to inner city suburbs, that are trendy, have facilities and dont get bottle necked as much during peak hours

if budget wasnt a concern, you wouldnt live in outer eastern suburbs, such as glen waverly!

youd stick to inner city suburbs, that are trendy, have facilities and dont get bottle necked as much during peak hours

Hi

If I had all the money in the world I would live exactly where I am now but my current dilemma is it really isn't my home!

I would never want to live in the inner city suburbs. They seem to be the ones that are always bottle necked during peak hours but I wouldn't mind a bachelor pad in the docklands or Eureka Tower for the odd weekend in the cbd.

Regards,

alicudi

I currently live there now, I don't think its that great...

South Yarra for me (live close by there now). Yarra, few km's to CBD, $10 cab fair home from CBD, easy access to citylink, few stops to CBD by train, trams, close access to Melbourne's sporting precinct (AFL, Cricket, Soccer, Rugby, Tennis). Great shopping, 2 x cinema's, Chapel St, close access to plenty of fine dining in adjacent suburbs, plenty of parks and outdoor areas.

Last edited:
I've lived near the CBA and wouldn't consider going back. Traffic, parking and overcrowding are big problems. Small living spaces indoors and outdoors. Urban jungle and all that!

I live Mitcham, 20km from the Melbourne CBD (which I only visit reluctantly). I walk my dogs through the bush reserves, they've chased kangaroos. We have 2 major shopping centres within 10 minutes (Doncaster & Ringwood). Easy access to almost everywhere via the Eastern Freeway or Eastlink. Good schools, public transport, cafes, etc. Negligible crime and no drug problems that I've ever witnessed. Very boring family area which is the way I like it.

One thing I like about the area is that it doesn't have a major commercial or industrial area. We avoid all the problems associated with these areas (no nightclubs, kids out at 2am on weekends, low crime, etc) but it's close enough to Ringwood that we can easily enjoy the benefits of this type of thing.

Not having to work in the CBA is a big advantage of my lifestyle.

Nunawading is okay but kind of bland. Blackburn is quite nice but very expensive. Box Hill is another commercial centre.

oh and if budget wasnt an issue I wouldnt mind living in a huge home a fair while out from the CBD, complete with its own lake and deck

Maybe you could change the topic to, where would you buy your holiday house and PPOR in vic? ;)

oh and if budget wasnt an issue I wouldnt mind living in a huge home a fair while out from the CBD, complete with its own lake and deck

Hi

Now we are on the same track! Where the only problem I have today is to put up with how to clean all the bird poo from this huge Pelican sitting on my jetski right at this moment. I took a photo but don't know how to upload it.

Regards,

alicudi

Attachments

• Pelican on jetski.jpg
    Pelican on jetski.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Pelican on jetski1.jpg
    Pelican on jetski1.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 107
Hi

Now we are on the same track! Where the only problem I have today is to put up with how to clean all the bird poo from this huge Pelican sitting on my jetski right at this moment. I took a photo but don't know how to upload it.

Regards,

alicudi

Ha ha! First world problem. :D

The Y-man

Hi

Regards,

alicudi
pfft, first world problems,

no pelican sits on my 3000ft luxury cruiser:D

Back