Best Melbourne Suburbs to live (disregarding price)

If you like inner city living St Kilda West & Middle Park are hands down the greatest suburbs in Melbourne. Used to live in SKW and it's so quiet considering where it's located, also has a really good community feel with many of the families having lived there for years. Close to beach, city and all the action in St Kilda, Albert Park, Sth Melbourne. Great spot.

Why thank you Y-man.
That one is a very nice property too (and a pool already there lol).
Probably just a little bit too far east for me though.

If you like inner city living St Kilda West & Middle Park are hands down the greatest suburbs in Melbourne. Used to live in SKW and it's so quiet considering where it's located, also has a really good community feel with many of the families having lived there for years. Close to beach, city and all the action in St Kilda, Albert Park, Sth Melbourne. Great spot.

Never liked inner city despite my two stints in inner city (Elwood & Port Melbourne). Middle rung burbs along the Camberwell/Ashburton/Glen Iris/Armadale belt is best. Close enough to CBD (no travel hassle), excellent public transport access and large blocks (600m2+).

I love where I live at the moment so I think I would just stay here any maybe get some land and plonk my house we just built on it! I'm from Sunbury btw!

Distance and trendiness big things for me. So disregarding price but giving consideration to the type of house and the demographic of an area, I'd say:

1. South Yarra (proximity, good public transport, tan, river, stadiums, nice houses, Chapel St)
2. Hawthorn (proximity, parks, schools, nice houses, Glenferrie Rd)
3. Albert Park (proximity, beach, lake, sports center, great village feel, nice but smaller houses and no trains)

Some other contenders: Port Melb (Albert Park's poorer brother with uglier houses), Prahan/Windsor (South Yarra's poorer brother with uglier houses), Kew/Camberwell (Hawthorn's less convenient brother); Malvern/Armadale (South Yarra's less convenient brother).

If trendiness was dropped as a criteria, Parkville starts entering the competition. If distance was dropped as an issue, I'd start considering Elsternwick/Brighton/Hampton or say Canterbury/Balwyn/Surrey Hills. But you can never drop distance as a factor, because I might as well live in say Ferntree Gully then.

Distance and trendiness big things for me. So disregarding price but giving consideration to the type of house and the demographic of an area, I'd say:

1. South Yarra (proximity, good public transport, tan, river, stadiums, nice houses, Chapel St)
3. Albert Park (proximity, beach, lake, sports center, great village feel, nice but smaller houses and no trains)

Some other contenders: Port Melb (Albert Park's poorer brother with uglier houses), Prahan/Windsor (South Yarra's poorer brother with uglier houses), Kew/Camberwell (Hawthorn's less convenient brother); Malvern/Armadale (South Yarra's less convenient brother).

If trendiness was dropped as a criteria, Parkville starts entering the competition. If distance was dropped as an issue, I'd start considering Elsternwick/Brighton/Hampton or say Canterbury/Balwyn/Surrey Hills. But you can never drop distance as a factor, because I might as well live in say Ferntree Gully then.

Like all things in life, trade off. There seems to be a delineation of sorts in Melbourne with regards to Distance/Boredom/Price/Land Size. The 10kms and 20km radius seems to be the delineation lines.

From experience, living within 20kms is max I could do...if you work in the CBD...as long as it's served by decent transport - preferably rail. God knows how long it would take by tram from Vermont South.

Just a curiosity/opinion thread - not investing...which in your opinion is the best place to live in Melbourne

This discussion really depends on each person's situation.

Since I'm retired and don't know anyone living in the inner suburbs, I just don't care about anything in the city or what it has to offer. I don't go to concerts, sports, nightlcubs or any of that stuff. Yes...I'm a boring old fart.

I haven't been into the actual cbd for a couple decades (I think) - travel through tunnel when I need to get to airport, but that's as close I wanna get.

I prefer to live just outside of the outer burbs but still close enough to use their facilites when I need......within metres of westernport bay.

This place around the corner from me has potential...... 2 boat ramps within a few mins. There were plans approved 15years back to build a golf course here, if I remember right.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-other-vic-blind+bight-7672567

The house needs a big upgrade, but would love the land/space - if I had the cash.

Hi

Now we are on the same track! Where the only problem I have today is to put up with how to clean all the bird poo from this huge Pelican sitting on my jetski right at this moment. I took a photo but don't know how to upload it.

Pelicans are evil birds, I hate the bloody things. Do us all a favour

I love where I live at the moment so I think I would just stay here any maybe get some land and plonk my house we just built on it! I'm from Sunbury btw!

I'm glad you like it, I could never live there. It's changed too much

Some nice burbs there, I'd pick Albert Park for location but the houses are small as you've noted. My lifestyle actually means I'd prefer the inner west, somewhere like Aberfeldie would be great.

Back