Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Paul Keating

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • John Howard

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • Kevin Rudd

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters
I have a friend who loves watching old clips of him on YouTube smashing poor Dr John Hewson and Alexander Downer.....like throwing Christians to the lions

Paul Keating. Floating the dollar, setting up superannuation, etc. It's just an association people have, that Liberals are "good with the economy" and it's reasonably baseless.

What I find hilarious is asking someone who holds these simple beliefs why the budget deficit is a bad thing. Roger Montgomery, one of the best investors in Australia, loves to ask people this question. He says governments aren't families or households, and should borrow and use money in a completely different way

The one really useful thing John Howard did was the gun laws IMO. And it would have had to be a conservative PM who did it, so kudos to him for that. Can't think of much else he did that I would agree with

Paul Keating. Floating the dollar, setting up superannuation, etc. It's just an association people have, that Liberals are "good with the economy" and it's reasonably baseless.

What I find hilarious is asking someone who holds these simple beliefs why the budget deficit is a bad thing. Roger Montgomery, one of the best investors in Australia, loves to ask people this question. He says governments aren't families or households, and should borrow and use money in a completely different way

The one really useful thing John Howard did was the gun laws IMO. And it would have had to be a conservative PM who did it, so kudos to him for that. Can't think of much else he did that I would agree with

A budget deficit which has significant spending on increasing productive capacity is not a bad thing obviously nor is one which improves major infrastructure.
What people are concerned about is wasteful spending including money spent on short term political gain and handouts to people who can take care of themselves
When everyone has their nose in the trough it becomes a problem
Big difference IMO

Back