Best property investment seminars / resources?

Hey all,

just found this forum and loving it!

What is the best property investment seminar you have ever been to?

What are the best resources for learning about property investment you have?

really keen to learn more about investing in property

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob

Without sounding like a suck up - this forum is one of the best resources for IP related info. There's so many knowledgeable posters from all areas and stages of property investing.

Before your fork out for any seminars, continue visiting the forum - ask questions and contribute where you can.

There's a sticky thread on recommended reading that will come in handy too. This should keep you busy - http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9652

Cheers

Jamie

haha, no you don't sound like a suck up at all.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a senior member of another forum and "newbies" always come in asking what they can buy and where they should throw their money and the advice is usually the same - use the forum, it's the best place to start :D

Read books to start with .

For me , jan somers , dolf de roos and Kieran Trass are the best . Best resource .... This place . Seriously . I've been to several intro seminars and sit at the back listening and picking holes in their plans ( based on what I've learnt here ) . Once i questioned a presenter on what would happen if his underlying assumptions about growth and the ability to refinance where wrong . He replied " it would be a disaster , but it's not going to happen " . Well it did happen and it was a disaster for people who followed his advice .

One thing to remember is a thing called survivorship bias . Ie if a whole lot of people try to do something some will succeed. They're the ones who write the books , not the ones who failed. The difference on who succeeded in reality may have in reality been luck in timing. Following the advice of someone who was successful , but doing it at a different time can be disastrous as people who followed the advice of Henry Kaye found out .

One thing that annoys me about most authors and educators in the area is their tendency to put down styles of investing different to their own , suggesting only they know the secret . Listen to their info , but switch off to the hype . Eg thee are several high profile people who say that either cheap or expensive properties are better . Reality is that probably all types of property investing work well if done correctly.

Cliff

Hi Seech

Have you been keeping up with Kieran?

Other than going from Property to Protesting there's also an interesting article
by Kieran Trass called “The Truth Is Out… Don’t Throw Your Pearls To Swine!”

Attachments

• KieranTrass-August2010.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 130
Best seminar I've been to was a $50 intro seminar for Henry Kaye's $15,000 mentoring programs at the time, this was about 13 years ago now.
The only reason that seminar was great is that it opened my mind to the potential of property.

Haven't been to a property seminar since, but found this forum after being motivated by that first intro into property.

You don't need seminars, you need attitude.

EDIT - just saw See Change's comment above about Henry Kaye !!!
It wasn't so much the material he was good for, but the motivation, even though it was fake.
After more thorough research, you simply have to find the method/niche which suits your own investing personality and circumstances.
Better to be original and adaptable than simply copy others as the rules are always changing.

Speaking of Henry, I bought his home study course (cd,s) many years ago, and it remains, in my view, the best, most comprehensive course material on property investing in Australia.

His ethics however, are a separate matter, and not to be confused with the quality of his material which is as relevant today as when it was first issued IMO.

However in all other respects, I agree that this forum is the best source for views and opinions on matters of real estate.

Tony

I joined this forum in May 2011 on a tip from Euro after a phone convo to learn about NRAS from his posts. Did my reading then left! A client mentioned the forum and I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and now it is my bedtime reading and regret my earlier departure. Speaking of reading, read books and this forum. I did attend a weekend seminar in 2000 by Paul Counsel who is a Perthite. Forked out $1500 and a few people I told scoffed but the seeds where planted and the scoffers are still broke and I have done ok with my property adventures, so no regrets :D

Back