Best street in the suburb

This probably sounds like a silly question, but is there an easy way to identify the best and worst streets in a suburb?

Do any of the paid reports provide this information, or is it a case of which ever street has the most expensive houses?

As im currently living overseas it difficult for me to visit these places and check that they don't back onto a housing commission or chemical plant etc.

Im currently looking at Oyster Bay or some of its neighboring suburbs.

Any advice appreciated.

This probably sounds like a silly question, but is there an easy way to identify the best and worst streets in a suburb?
It is not a silly Q ;)

Do any of the paid reports provide this information,
No

or is it a case of which ever street has the most expensive houses?
This is a clue. Obviously the best streets will command the highest prices.

As im currently living overseas it difficult for me to visit these places
In my biased opinion you probably need to hire a buyers' advocate / buyers agent to visit for you. There is only so much you can do on the internet. A physical inspection reveals some alarming things that cannot be determined any other way.

and check that they don't back onto a housing commission or chemical plant etc.
Again someone like a BA or a friend or REA with a data subscription will be able to look up ownership details of the surrounding areas for you.

Im currently looking at Oyster Bay or some of its neighboring suburbs.
I doubt if Oyster Bay has any dept of housing :D

I have a friend who lives the other side of the water there at Kyle Bay and it is a lovely and expensive part of the world. It is also a pain the backside getting Telsta 3G coverage in Kyle Bay too:(

I've heard about BA's who can identify the best streets and the worst streets and a host of other very specific local knowledge.

Whilst you'd want to live in these as an OO, does anyone have any evidence of these properties actually performing better as a % terms compared to the rest of the suburb? From what I can tell they all perform about the same.

I've heard about BA's who can identify the best streets and the worst streets and a host of other very specific local knowledge.
So it is not just a myth then? :p

From what I can tell they all perform about the same.
Generally speaking you are correct, all the properties in a suburb tend to move in line with the growth of the whole suburb. However,

Whilst you'd want to live in these as an OO, does anyone have any evidence of these properties actually performing better as a % terms compared to the rest of the suburb?
Take an ocean front property in the suburb of Avoca Beach or the OP's Oyster Bay waterfront property and you'd find these properties do tend to outperform in terms of CG. The downside is that high value properties in high value suburbs can suffer more in a downturn (like the one we just had). Higher end vals went down maybe 20% while median priced properties in the same suburbs only took a 5% hit.

Yep, agents will readily tell you the best streets in their suburb.

Try Google Earth, too. It can tell you heaps. You can see the size of the blocks, proximity of schools, shops, transport, main roads, water etc.

Scott

In my biased opinion you probably need to hire a buyers' advocate / buyers agent to visit for you. There is only so much you can do on the internet. A physical inspection reveals some alarming things that cannot be determined any other way.

Could'nt you just ring a BA and offer $100 to spend an hour answering a list of prepared questions?

Walk into a couple of RE offices with a street directory and tell them you're looking at buying and want to know the best streets in the area for yourself and your family to live. They love that crap.

"Oh..and by the way...do you have anything available in the best streets in the area?"

"Can you point them out for me?"

"Thanks, i'll do a drive by and get back to you."

While i don't like the way the RE industry operates, they do know the area they work in backwards as far as areas, streets and even particular houses go. They call it farming.

Ask at the local council, a postie, couple of business owners and people you say hi to. If you don't know an area, the locals do and are usually happy to help.

No need to pay anyone for this stuff.

If you want to get a feel of surrounding streets, check out Google Streetview (if it's available in the area). Granted the shots can be a year or two old, but you'll be able to distinguish the crappy streets.

lol Josko, I do that stuff all the time.
And as Evand suggested, I ask REs questions too.
Problem with REs is they don't seem to give out too many details unless you've done biz with them before.

Is $100 for an hour answering questions submitted in advance not a good deal for a BA, or anyone else who has long term knowledge of an area?
:confused:
I'm still considering at a ppor in the shire, I'd happily pay that for a long term investor, BA or RE for some info on the are.
And shout lunch too.

Walk into a couple of RE offices with a street directory and tell them you're looking at buying and want to know the best streets in the area for yourself and your family to live. They love that crap.

"Oh..and by the way...do you have anything available in the best streets in the area?"

"Can you point them out for me?"

"Thanks, i'll do a drive by and get back to you."

While i don't like the way the RE industry operates, they do know the area they work in backwards as far as areas, streets and even particular houses go. They call it farming.

Ask at the local council, a postie, couple of business owners and people you say hi to. If you don't know an area, the locals do and are usually happy to help.

No need to pay anyone for this stuff.

That's all good advice - but the OP lives & works in Singapore :eek:

lol Josko, I do that stuff all the time.
And as Evand suggested, I ask REs questions too.
Problem with REs is they don't seem to give out too many details unless you've done biz with them before.

Is $100 for an hour answering questions submitted in advance not a good deal for a BA, or anyone else who has long term knowledge of an area?
:confused:
I'm still considering at a ppor in the shire, I'd happily pay that for a long term investor, BA or RE for some info on the are.
And shout lunch too.

Sorry PB, A classic case of misinterpretation. :) I'm almost disappointed.

Just feeling a bit cheeky this afternoon. It's Friday afterall.

Regards JO

Back