Best Structure

Hi all,

I no longer want to buy IPs in my personal name, for multiple reasons.

Does anybody know what would be the best structure. Company, Trust, trust with Company as trustee etc etc.

Also, how would this work with finance given the company or trust would have no assets or trading record?

Hi all,

I no longer want to buy IPs in my personal name, for multiple reasons.

Does anybody know what would be the best structure. Company, Trust, trust with Company as trustee etc etc.

Also, how would this work with finance given the company or trust would have no assets or trading record?

Hiya

It's too broad a question and impossible to answer. Hit up an IP savvy accountant and get them to run the pros/cons of different structures and how they'd fit with your personal situation.

Cheers

Jamie

If privacy is the main concern an offshore company or trust with nominee directors and shareholders are best. For tax purposes it must be reported but an offshore structure will provide the best privacy. In australia much harder.

No assets in my name, can't search under my name and find assets.

A local company would do give you privacy, but someone searching the ASIC register could find shares and/or directorships under your name. They could then find other assets owned by you such as land.

another option, locally is a bare trust. or a unit trust in which you have no role other than as unit holder. This would not be publically searchable but you are giving up control - which has its own asset protection issues.

Finally offset options give the greatest privacy, but then you have the greatest asset protection risk of losing control, especially upon your death.

Your question is akin to "who's the best doctor in Australia to treat me?"

To answer that I'd need to know your medical history, medications, symptoms, geographic location, furture intentions, financial position etc.

I think the structure experts here will need to read your full story to offer any specific advice at all.

If privacy is the main concern an offshore company or trust with nominee directors and shareholders are best. For tax purposes it must be reported but an offshore structure will provide the best privacy. In australia much harder.

And loss of CGT concessions ?
Difficulties with interest deductions?

It all comes down to what is most important...Greatest asset protection in relation to family law is giving up control completely - but this opens up a whole different area - loss of control at death, or during incapacity, or even during life.

Your question is akin to "who's the best doctor in Australia to treat me?"

To answer that I'd need to know your medical history, medications, symptoms, geographic location, furture intentions, financial position etc.

I think the structure experts here will need to read your full story to offer any specific advice at all.

A good analogy Drfuzzy.

Back