Best tile for a rental??

Just about to tile my unit, I do like the gloss finish tiles, but would a matt finish be better for rental property???

Cheers

Something inexpensive, easy to clean and smart looking.

Watch the grout - the wrong grout can look filthy very quickly and detract from the whole look.

Keep some spare tiles somewhere safe - because you know that when you need to replace one it will be impossible to buy :)

Gloss looks great - especially if you mop it daily. Maybe save that for your own home?

We tiled our old house (now rented) in large, matt, brown tiles in much the same colour as the local reddish brown dirt. The place was formerly carpeted and the carpet was doing its best to go that shade of brown so the tiles are much better :)

hmmm after changing my mind about 10 times, I ended up getting a brownish matt coloured 450 x 450 tile half priced for $20sqm...

Now just to find a tiler that dont charge through the roof lol

Something inexpensive, easy to clean and smart looking.

Watch the grout - the wrong grout can look filthy very quickly and detract from the whole look.

Keep some spare tiles somewhere safe - because you know that when you need to replace one it will be impossible to buy :)

Gloss looks great - especially if you mop it daily. Maybe save that for your own home?

This advice is spot on...:D especially about putting spare tiles aside...

Hehe we did our own tiling. 35sqm of floor tiles and about 10sqm of wall tiles, plus another 17sqm of floor tiles on an older job. Don't wanna know what it would have cost to get the professionals in. Total cost about $2000 - the grout and tile adhesive really adds up, especially if you are unfortunate enough to have floors that are choppy as crazy because some idiot hand laid them a few decades ago and didn't screed them flat with a LARGE tool.

Flat floors and square rooms .... oh, wouldn't that be nice. But no, I have a handmade 1870's house ... they only invented 'square' in 1900, when they built my nice square current house :)

hmmm after changing my mind about 10 times, I ended up getting a brownish matt coloured 450 x 450 tile half priced for $20sqm...

Brown tiled floors seem all the rage atm. Especially on bathroom floors.

I tried to get a tiler once during the boom and was quoted $50 sqm with me supplying adhesive and me doing the grouting afterwards.

I asked the guy at Bunnings how to do it, bought a carton of beer, called my good mate Jamie and we did it all in an afternoon.

Wasn't a perfect job but 5 years later it still looks good enough for students!

That price is ridiculous. Grouting takes up most of the time, too - all that polishing to make sure you don't leave any on there.

We do quite a good DIY tiling job. Had people comment how nice it is and ask who did it and then look at me funny when I say it was me. I guess little elves don't look like tilers.

We have found that in family homes the potential tennants or purchasers prefer not to have high gloss tiles in bathrooms - because they are so slippery.

Wishing you every success,
Ana Stankovic

Back