Best way to clean egg off someones face?

Long story short....

Settled on a house December last year. Purchased at auction $582K. Three friends attended auction (didn't know they were going to be there) and upon winning the house all told me I paid $25k too much! I disagreed with them and told them I paid market price, perhaps even a little under!

Fast forward exactly one year later. A very comparable house went to auction yesterday in the same street (3 houses down) sold for $755K. Same size block and condition of house. Another went to auction 4 months ago (next door), again comparable to mine, $722K.

Had a very happy weekend :D

Long story short....

Settled on a house December last year. Purchased at auction $582K. Three friends attended auction (didn't know they were going to be there) and upon winning the house all told me I paid $25k too much! I disagreed with them and told them I paid market price, perhaps even a little under!

Fast forward exactly one year later. A very comparable house went to auction yesterday in the same street (3 houses down) sold for $755K. Same size block and condition of house. Another went to auction 4 months ago (next door), again comparable to mine, $722K.

Had a very happy weekend :D

Silence is the best weapon.

pinkboy

:D. Don't you just love that. Make sure you bring it up (not so casually) in conversation how much of a BARGIN you got :D

It has always been said that success is the best revenge. Well done

Very true. Lucky for them I'm not one to call up and say "told you so!" It's a good lesson to always trust your instincts.

:D. Don't you just love that. Make sure you bring it up (not so casually) in conversation how much of a BARGIN you got :D

It has always been said that success is the best revenge. Well done

These 3 people follow the market closely so they won't need me to tell them ;) They got that one wrong!:p

I'd be dropping a flyer off into their letter box....with something like "na na nanna na" and your smiling face over a picture of the property with its current value.

So you purchased well,:) congratulations..... but why stick it to them? I don't get it, what is the point of this exercise?

If you need to justify this then fool you... move on and be the bigger person you don't need others fluffing your feathers ???? .... Dr Phil here:)

Last edited:
So you purchased well,:) congratulations..... but why stick it to them? I don't get it, what is the point of this exercise?

Yeah I also don't get it. I know you're gloating and it feels good but go past that. Different story if those 2 properties sold for $548k and $536k then you'd look like a goose. But congrats on your increased equity.

If you need to justify this then fool you... move on and be the bigger person you don't need others fluffing your feathers ???? .... Dr Phil here:)

Mainly because they made the point very clear that I paid way too much and even reminded once I got the keys. Lesson is always trust your instincts.

Can't i gloat even a little bit seeing its so close to Christmas? :D

If the price had gone the other way, would you be pleased to be the recipient of their gloating? Didn't think so. Setting an example is one thing, gloating about it is a big step backwards.

If the price had gone the other way, would you be pleased to be the recipient of their gloating? Didn't think so. Setting an example is one thing, gloating about it is a big step backwards.

I don't see the harm.

He's not openly gloating to his friends. He's posting this anonymously on an internet forum.

Cheers

Jamie

I don't see the harm.

He's not openly gloating to his friends. He's posting this anonymously on an internet forum.

Cheers

Jamie

Gloating, in any form, and true friendship are mutually exclusive in my view. The OP can fill his boots if he likes, but if I was one of the "friends" I wouldn't expect a Christmas card from me next year.

Back