best way to paint aging window frames

So an elderly relatives ppor recently had some damage and she has been compensated generouslyby insurqnce to basically fix up flaking window frames

The main large bits of the windows are quite ok, the worst bits are smaller areas right where it meets the glass

The house is about 15 yrs old

I've done diy, had pro painters, and glaziers fix window frames and every time they've turned out pretty average

The problems I found so far in my experience are

Window putty not going hard even after a week thus making painting hard especially multiple coats

Large sections that are a bit lumpy havr been plastered by the painter but even after sanding and two coats, it doesn't gloss very well, and looks a bit lumpy or obvious

The bits that the paint has flaked off and sanded down, even after it was painted a few times never looked smooth, it looked like sandpaper as though it was absorbed by the wood

Is the best way still to do sand and scrape off all the flakes, any small gaps plaster up, putty the no good putty areas

One under coat, two top coats?

Should the under coat be oil based

We just don't want to organise an expensive painter and be promised the world like they do, and to end up with a job I could have done quality wise

Oh and it's a 7 bdr/2 kitchen large house so it's a big job

Linseed oil putty takes a few weeks to form a decent skim before you can paint,
Its best to leave it dry as long as you can , possibly a month or more before painting.
You need to be careful the birds don't start to pick at it like someone else on
this forum found out recently who lost most of their newly installed putty to bird strikes.

Your not going to get an even smooth coverage unless you strip completely
back to timber and start again using a good oil based primer and top coat.
I doubt you will find a painter who would strip back but try and patch which
will always look average.

Back