Best way to profit from a falling AUD

Hi guys,

Just wondering, what is an easy and efficient way to profit from a falling AUD (if you believe it's over valued and will fall).

Open a multi-currency bank account and hold funds in USD (or prefferably, HKD)?

Are there any other investments (shares, funds or otherwise) that will profit from a falling AUD?

Ideal scenario would be to earn interest on this money too.

David.

easiest way is a currency ETF if you have a brokerage account ASX code USD
or buy foreign shares(can do on comsec) or market ETF like IVV(sp 500)

Ideal scenario would be to earn interest on this money too.

David.

It may be more complicated too project the AD and it's behaviour into the future or the next 16 weeks,Gold from what I read may go below 1000$us
then you can kiss all the AUSTRALIAN Gold-Miners good bye,a very simple way was just walk into any money exchange when it was par with the USvsAU dollar a few months back show your passport exchange then walk out not something one may be able to do now..imho..

Buying property in tourism towns like the Gold Coast and Cairns. These places have been decimated by the high dollar as less overseas tourist come here and more Aussies head overseas.

See ya's.

Buying physical USD cash is expensive.
Citibank have a reasonable multi-currency account which offers the best market rates I have found. With few fees.

If you are a gambling man you can short the dollar but the risks are huge if poorly managed or not understood. Check xe.com and play with their platform (free trial) just to see how quickly things change. It's a bit of fun.

Blacky

I bought heaps of yen these past few days at 91-92. When the economy goes to crap the yen strengthens so let's wait and see ;)

Buying physical USD cash is expensive.
Citibank have a reasonable multi-currency account which offers the best market rates I have found. With few fees.

If you are a gambling man you can short the dollar but the risks are huge if poorly managed or not understood. Check xe.com and play with their platform (free trial) just to see how quickly things change. It's a bit of fun.

Blacky

CMC Markets offer a $10,000 demo account and Plus500 offer a $25,000 demo account!

Awesome to watch your account whittle away or smash up in a matter of moments.

Mate of mine was going great guns with Bitcoin last few weeks on his demo account. He had never ever seen 6 figures in an account before. Unfortunately he is broke as, and couldn't afford to put real $$$ in.

pinkboy

I bought heaps of yen these past few days at 91-92. When the economy goes to crap the yen strengthens so let's wait and see ;)

I hope you are right. I have more than 50k (current exchange) worth of yen sitting here since beginning of this year. I just thought if yen goes from 95 to 85 then the return far outperform exchanging now and putting the money into offset, even if I have to wait 2 years for that to happen!

I have about 60k HKD in a HSBC multicurrency account.

This was purchased with AUD when 1AUD = 8.1 HKD.

Please let me know when it is time to switch the HKD back to AUD.

Sitting on about $1.3mil in US property. So pretty well hedged. ;)

Even have $100kUSD in US bank account. Which has been the cash flow from the properties.

So all up pretty happy with the AUD -USD move.:D

Cheers

Sitting on about $1.3mil in US property. So pretty well hedged. ;)

Even have $100kUSD in US bank account. Which has been the cash flow from the properties.

So all up pretty happy with the AUD -USD move.:D

Cheers

Its looking good. Those rental yields looking much better now.

It would be very nice to have the Aus$ back to 75, perfect time to sell up.

Hi guys,

Are there any other investments (shares, funds or otherwise) that will profit from a falling AUD?

David.

Good question here's what I'm doing. Like HandyAndy I've invested in US property. Some (not all) is financed by AUD so i'm effectively short AUD and like most people taking a view that Aussie dollar is going down.

Here's what I"m doing to minimize my transaction costs. I'm based in Hong Kong so I'm moving money between Sydney, Hong Kong and USA and if you do it a lot you need to be careful as the costs add up.

The cheapest / fastest way I've found is to open up a HSBC and Citigroup account (I have both). in all 3 cities and use the global transfer feature. There are no fees and the rates are very competitive if you call them up and complain. On average I pay about a spread of 0.3% on FX transactions.

The other option if you don't want the hassle is to use ozforex.com I used to use these guys their spread is about 0.7% if you haggle with them I've gotten it down to 0.5%. It's still a fair bit of money if you say move $100k USD it's $500 USD in fees.

DO NOT use a bank to transfer they will rip you off on the rate and the fees.

The biggest question is if AUD suddenly has a sharp drop to 60 cents say like it did in GFC 2008/2009 and you want to lock in this gain without selling your USA property how do you do it?

I'm using a fx trading account to do this whenever I see a good rate. So if AUD goes to to say 60 cents and I want to hedge $200k, I would buy $200k AUD at that level.

The rates are very competitive as it's insitutional rates the cost is about 0.001%.

You have effectively locked in the rate. You would sell your AUD trade in your brokerage account in say 10 years when you actually sell your USA property. so let's at that point AUD is at 80 cents.

You convert your $200k USD you got from your USA sale back into AUD at 80 cents. And you sell your AUD long trade that you got at 60 cents which will be in profit.

Great move in AUD today -1.15% off the employment numbers.

An Update AU$ slip slidding

Australian Dollar:
The Australian dollar got off to a slow start on Friday trading within a tight range. The Aussie opened the day at 0.8761 drifting 11 points lower to 0.8750. As the session continued the Aussie drifted back to its open price ahead of the long weekend. However late in the afternoon headlines surprised causing the Aussie to tumble, reaching lows of 0.8661 against the US. An announcement from RBA board member Rider talking the currency lower ?I think it hasn?t fallen far enough? stating that 80 cents would be a fair value was released. These comments along with a recent run of poor data out of China, Australia?s largest trading partner sent the Aussie into a spiral downwards. The article was published disclosing, China has been said to have issued an alert on credit risks in the coal industry. Overnight the Aussie managed to consolidate opening substantially lower today at 0.8699 against the Greenback. With the long weekend in Australia due to Australia day investors will be focused on the New Home sales out of the US for guidance tonight and the US Fed?s decision on tapering later this week.

It will be time to bring home the bacon for me, if this continues.

there's even talk of the RBA having to move in to defend the dollar if it goes too far - could be some tough times ahead, just as some confidence was starting to build

Back