Best Whisky?

Hi all,

I must be getting old, but I quite prefer a drop or three of whisky now-a-days. Neat, with a couple of ice cubes. I can't drink beer as my skin gets really itchy... so I now drink the hard stuff. :) Much to my mother's chagrin, I'll sometimes mix it with Coca-Cola.

I have three questions:

1. What is your favourite whisky?
2. What is the cheapest whisky you'll drink that doesn't taste too bad?
3. If money isn't a concern, what whisky would you buy by the proverbial barrel?

I currently have a bottle of Maker's Mark - 700ml for $44 from memory. It's fantastic, but the price is up there. I was eyeing a couple of $31 bottles of some unknown brand, but wasn't game to try them.

Wild Turkey. I've been recommended Maker's Mark, but haven't had it yet. When I see WT sitting next to MM at the boozer and I'm in the mood for whiskey/bourbon I always reach for the WT. I don't mind Jack Daniels, but I'll only drink it if it's offered to me - I wouldn't actually buy it.

Thanks Mark. I don't mind a bit of the JD now and then, but really it has to be mixed. That stuff is a bit rough.

As far as the stuff from across the pond, I like Jamesons. But I rarely drink it, as I'm not a big fan of scotch. My brother likes Dimple, but I'm not a fan.

H

I currently have a bottle of Maker's Mark - 700ml for $44 from memory. It's fantastic, but the price is up there..

Haha you're funny MJ. $44 You obviously haven't tasted the real stuff.

Try Chivas 18yo
Johnny walker blue

Only scotch my hubby won't drink is Teachers "teaches you never to drink it again"

Let me know if you want some of the good stuff duty free. Leaving next weekend.

Try Chivas 18yo
Johnny walker blue.
I think MJA is on a budget travelbug ;)

Have you tried Canadian Club MJA? it's not a bad drop for the money.. You can check up on prices on www.boozle.com.au for your suburb. If you decide to mix, it goes really well with Bundaberg ginger beer.

You may also want to try out a Johnny Walker's tasting night.. They should be in Sydney as the were in Brisbane all the time a couple years ago. You can try the whole range for free!!

Glenfiddich is my favourite.. btw, the Scotts say they single distill because they get it right the first time ;)

some hootch slivovitz that some of my Croatian friends used to make in their still house in Indonesia.

Dunno how they got it so smooth.

Cola, MJ.................u are kidding arent ya ?

What is it in the beer that gives you to itches ?

Maybe the German Beers with not so many bolt on chemicals may be tolerable ?

I like the Irish ones like Jamiesons, and most of the basic 8 yr olds arent too foul if u are a Miser

ta
rlf

Hi all,

I must be getting old, but I quite prefer a drop or three of whisky now-a-days. Neat, with a couple of ice cubes. I can't drink beer as my skin gets really itchy... so I now drink the hard stuff. :) Much to my mother's chagrin, I'll sometimes mix it with Coca-Cola.

I have three questions:

1. What is your favourite whisky?
2. What is the cheapest whisky you'll drink that doesn't taste too bad?
3. If money isn't a concern, what whisky would you buy by the proverbial barrel?

I currently have a bottle of Maker's Mark - 700ml for $44 from memory. It's fantastic, but the price is up there. I was eyeing a couple of $31 bottles of some unknown brand, but wasn't game to try them.

Makers Mark is quite a good drink on a cold night,Chivas Regal 12 year old is also very good,my wife and daughters bought me several duty free
Chevas Regal,when they came back from SEA a week ago i think they were 2-- 1litre for $70.00 value,but i stopped drinking 4 months ago..
The one item i know is the duty free "JD"Burbon that you buy in the US is more powerfull then the stuff they bottle up and sell in Australia..
willair..

I like Glenfiddich if someone else is buying, but I'm actually a fan of the cheaper stuff anyway as I like the rougher taste. Day-to-day cheap choice for me is Ballantynes, Grants or Famous Grouse (in that order), and if I fancy somthing a little harsher then a drop of Cougar bourbon.

No ice, and never mixed - straight up is the only way to fly.

i too am a glenfiddich fan. a very smooth and nice drinking whiskey - but only for special occasions.

when trying to throw of a cold i tend to suck on johnny walker red cause it's cheap.

Makers Mark is alright as far as bourbons go. Ballantynes is drinkable, too. Dad will joke sometimes about how he used to consider Chivas to be a real top class Scotch... but these days, Chivas is really slumming it. Lol.

I'll usually take mine neat; no ice. A big fan of Lagavulin and Glenmorangie these days - real whisky :D. It's one of those little pet luxuries in which I probably spend a little more money than I should. But damn, it's nice (and tax deductible!).

I was never a fan of Wild Turkey, until recently gifted a bottle of Wild Turkey with Honey!! I'm a convert!

Awesome on ice, with maybe just a little water. (Only coz I can't wait for the ice to melt) :D

Haha you're funny MJ. $44 You obviously haven't tasted the real stuff.
I *am* only 30 years old, after all.

Try Chivas 18yo
Johnny walker blue
I've always wanted to try JW Blue, but couldn't stomach the $260 price tag for 700ml.

At the International airport in Los Angeles - a duty free shop had a *4 litre* bottle of JW Blue for sale. Lots of $0's on the end. :)

Only scotch my hubby won't drink is Teachers "teaches you never to drink it again"
hahahahahaha. Nice.

Let me know if you want some of the good stuff duty free. Leaving next weekend.
Will do. Ta.

Cola, MJ.................u are kidding arent ya ?
Hey, it *is* JD after all.

What is it in the beer that gives you to itches ?
Not sure. Either the wheat or the hops.

buchanans whiskey, love it. I haven't been able to find in australia!!!

Attachments

• BLEND_BUC5.jpg
    BLEND_BUC5.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 155
Ardmore. The brother in law and I call it Peetey, due to its peet like aroma and taste. Single Malt ofcourse.

Glenfiddich is fine for quaffling, but better malts are Laphroaig and Glenlivit.

I actually prefer Johnny Walker Gold over Blue, and it's less than half the price, but still reserved for special occaisons, like Fridays :)

For a regular drink, I'll go a Chivas or Jamesons, neat in winter, on the rocks in summer... nice one!

For single malt, I really really like Taliskers from the Isle of Skye, has a nice salty / peaty taste. It's actually one of the whiskeys in Johnnie Walker Black Label. I learnt about it from the Journey of Taste, a great free event that can kick off your Scotch career.

I recently tried an amazing blended Scotch from the Dalmore distillery, called King Alexander III. It's blended from a number of single malts, each aged in different barrels i.e. sherry, madiera, port wine. Very complex flavour, very strong and very smooth.

If I catch you drinking any of the above with Coke, I'll personally come round "and rip your bloody arms off!" :D

forget the above. best quality scoth to price is Glenlivet 12 y.o

Costs about $50 a bottle but can get it cheaper. i bought some for $45 at dan's not too long ago.

Looks like this: http://www.whiskybook.net/images_whisky/Glenlivet_12yo.jpg

Great bottle.

I have a bottle of Jonnie Blue and i would almost rather drink the above. the Jonnie Blue is my celebration drink - have one whenever i buy/sell a property etc.

When it is finished i will get a bottle of Glenlivet 21 y.o. have had that too and it is smoooooth and cheaper than Jonnie Blue.

Reminds me i settled yesterday on bendigo - best go have myself a drink :)

There's only one Blue Label lol
But really anything >12 yrs is ok, though I like Chivas Royal or 18, Glenfiddich 21 & 30. Ardbeg still on the "to do "list.
Though Gran Patron make for a nice change.
And one day I may be able to afford more than passion pop.

Back